It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 8:11 pm

rnelsen wrote:
He just had diarrhea all over my carpet....this has turned out to be much harder than we anticipated... Crying or Very sad

Awe, hang in there!! It's a bummer when animals have accidents, our puppies still do. With your boy being so young, and having had 4 homes already, the poor guy just needs some stability and a schedule.

arooroomom wrote:
Sorry about that, the diarrhea is probably from the stress of the change and new family (and possibly new food?) Or holding it because he's too scared to go outside?

He's definitely going to take some time to relax. I hope you guys can stick it out, he really needs some consistency in his life poor guy.

Agreed. The shelter is hoping you are his last forever home. Just try to be patient. And we are always hear to chat/vent to!

Here4thePics wrote:
I at times feel like a salesperson for Taste of the Wild (TOTW) but I also know not everyone has the time or desire to read all the previous post on feeding, medical etc.

Get some TOTW Pacific Blend or what ever its called (salmon stuff). Reasonable price and it often helps the Huskies with sensitive stomachs. Be sure to add it to his diet slowly and not all at once.

Oh my goodness, yes, TOTW food is great. Has done wonders for our puppies bellies. Blech, the food they were giving him is terrible. Here is TOTW website, it has a link where you can locate where to buy the dog food near you. Smile

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Bella's not quite as bad as Nelson, but we have had similar issues in the last 3 weeks. I can sympathize... I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
I at times feel like a salesperson for Taste of the Wild (TOTW) but I also know not everyone has the time or desire to read all the previous post on feeding,

You and me both Len! It worked so well for us that I like to tell people about it. We should be getting commission! Alot of people are on a budget so it's great that there is a decent priced grain free dog food out there!

rnelson, if you decide to try TOTW, wag.com has a first time buyer code and you can save 15% plus free shipping if you spend $49.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Would you like some one on one time? My mom and I are going to be checking out the camp ground site on Tuesday. Not sure if you'll be home, but we could meet you someplace in the park.

Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

Female Join date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 4:35 am

I really hope someone sees this tonight, Nelson has vomited inside of his crate (I kept him inside with the door closed tonight by my bed, because of his incident earlier today.) I took him outside and he tried so hard to poop, but it seemed like he couldn't do anything substantial and all that would come out is a watery substance. I don't know if the vomit/diarrhea combo is normal for an upset stomach or if something is wrong. I don't know if this something I need to go to the vet for first thing in the morning or if it's something that is normal and will resolve itself...I'm really worried about the poor guy. Sad
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 4:47 am

We haven't had more than the run of the mill sensitive stomach issues with Ghost, but I've learned over the years with my pets to listen to intuition. If I start debating the whole vet visit thing too hard, I usually just take them in to be safe. It may just be that he's super stressed, but he may also have some issues going on. Even if it is stress, your vet can give you stuff to help settle his stomach. Especially with him ripping up the flip flop though, you probably should take him in just to be sure he didn't ingest any or anything like that.

Hopefully one of the more experienced members will chime in as well, and good luck. I really hope things settle down for you guys quickly and that he gets over his timidness.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 4:53 am

Do you think this can wait until morning? I don't think this is an emergency visit, but I guess I have such little experience I don't really know. I have cleaned out his crate and have him back in it with a towel. I was going to go sleep in the living room to keep an eye on him and see if he vomits anymore. I was planning on taking him first thing this morning, I just wanted to make sure it could wait until then....
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 4:58 am

I would say the diarrhea is stressed related but a visit to the vet can't hurt a thing (Well I guess it could hurt financially) even if nothing is wrong!

I wouldn't switch his food until his diarrhea clears up though - unless where you adopted him from said that he's always had mushy/runny poop. I'd wait until he settles in and calms down and he's either cleared by the vet as not having any health problems or the diarrhea clears up on its own before changing foods.

Excessive panting can also be a sign of stress/pain.

The first few months with him are going to be really hard with how bad shy/timid he is - but the reward for all of your hard work with him at the end will be worth it all and much more! Don't give up on him Smile

Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 7:36 am

Well, we've made it through the night. Poor baby got some good sleep for about 2 hours, I just took him out 15 minutes ago. He pooped, it wasn't pure liquid but it was really soft still. Since he hasn't vomited anymore I'm still wondering if I should take him to the vet or not. I would without hesitation except I know it would completely freak him out and stress him even more, and I just don't know if it's worth it. Also, diet wise, I've read online some people say NO food, and some people say bland food, like to boil a chicken and some white rice. Thoughts??

P.s. I'm EXHAUSTED! Sleep
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 10:35 am

When Ghost had liquid poops when we first got her, we fed her scrambled eggs, green beans, and carrots until she firmed up, then we very slowly introduced the new kibble. Canned pumpkin (not pie filling) is also really good for them, and helps firm them up when they're loose and loosen them up when they get constipated. Our dogs will do anything for pumpkin as well, they love it.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 10:46 am

Odin went through a nasty bout of runs/vomiting. What was the color consistency of the vomit?

We took him in when the vomit/runs turned a tinged brown. I was FREAKED out. Was just a bout of colitis. We withheld food for 24 hours and then started him on super bland. My vet actually said no to the scrambled eggs. He said keep it as rice and chicken or rice mixed with their ID formula. While I hate science diet, the ID formula does work for emergencies.

I would just get some pumpkin and when you feed him mix the kibble with warm water and let it soak. Then throw some pumpkin in there. It makes it easier to keep down. You can call the vet and see what they say but with stool that's already not as bad and only vomiting once.... If it was my dog I wouldn't do the vet simply because how nervous he is right now. But call.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 11:06 am

Hugs to you both! I have no experience with rescues, but reading your story has me in tears. My heart's breaking for your boy Nelson and I'm thinking, "Wow, he is so lucky to have found YOU!" And vice-versa. I can't imagine what he's been through in his young life to make him so scared and I think it's amazing that you're willing to take all of that on. I think once he knows he can trust you guys, he's going to LOVE you and your hubby loving on him. Hang in there! It's a wonderful thing you're doing for him. I hope he feels better soon and everything works out for all of you. I have a feeling you both will be very good for each other Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 11:18 am

I've done (do) white rice and beef. I've heard you can do white rice and chicken and lots do it- I never have. you can do the kibble and canned pumpkin, you can try kibble and yogurt and/or you can ask your vet for probiotics to sprinkle on his kibble.

And cheese. (most/all) dogs love cheese. A piece of cheese on his food/given as treats will help too Smile and won't upset his tummy.

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 11:38 am

Kody had major runs and vomiting a few months back. It was non stop for like 2hrs straight. It wasn't coming out one way it coming out the other. It happened in the evening and I was freaking out also. Was about to to rush him to the ER, but then it stopped. He was so weak. Swaying while sitting down. Seemed like he was about the past out!

I didn't feed him for 24hours and then started him on the scrambled eggs and carrots. I took that route because that's what worked for him when we first got him and he had nasty diarrhea.

I would try the pumpkin also. That stuff works!
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 11:46 am

blueeyedghost wrote:
When Ghost had liquid poops when we first got her, we fed her scrambled eggs, green beans, and carrots until she firmed up, then we very slowly introduced the new kibble. Canned pumpkin (not pie filling) is also really good for them, and helps firm them up when they're loose and loosen them up when they get constipated. Our dogs will do anything for pumpkin as well, they love it.

I don't know about NO food. ?? Never heard that as a suggestion before, as I'm sure the guy is likely to get hungry at some point!

We also get canned pumpkin for our puppies. The dogs LOVE it. If you can find it at your grocery store, get the plain one, not the one with added sugar/spices. Our local doggie store has canned pumpkin for dogs too. It's made specifically for dogs, and has additives, like ginger, to help settle their stomachs. Poor bugger!

I don't think we slept the first 2 weeks we had Neptune. Smile Good times! Hope you get some rest today!
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
firebellydancerjax
Newborn
Newborn
firebellydancerjax

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 12:08 pm

Congratulations!!
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks for all of the input, guys! I'm going to go until dinner time and not feed him... I think his tummy needs some rest. But I plan on feeding him rice and beef (i'm assuming you just brown and drain the beef in a skillet??) and I'd like to try and find some of the canned pumpkin to start giving him once I start giving him kibble again.

My concern is he hasn't been drinking much water, and I know it's important to stay hydrated. He also won't come out of his crate unless it's to go to the bathroom. Usually we can lure him out with food, but I can't feed him right now. I want to be sensitive to his needs if he's not feeling well, but at the same time it can't be good for him to hide in there all day...usually we'll close the crate door periodically throughout the day so he has to lay on the floor or find somewhere else to go, but I just don't have the heart to do it today...
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Welcome and congrates on your new boy, please stick with it and do everything you can, it may take a few weeks but he will come around. everyone has given you good advice so far on the food and his behavior. if your worried about the drinking you can pick up some Pedialyte and add that and see if he will drink it. i also can't tell but is his crate larger enough for him to sit with out his head touching and can he lay out with out having to curl up in a ball? if he is spending lots of time in there and you will be closing the door i would make sure the crate is large enough, some huskies will also eat the plastic ones. you may also want to try some steel cut oats with the meat instead of rice, most sibs can not handle the rice and oats have more good stuff packed in them then rice.
our girl sierra came with issues towards men and it has taken months/yrs but she has made so much gain with trust from men its great to see.
were here for you Smile

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 2:13 pm

Welcome, Rachel and sorry to hear about all the issues!

My girl is not quite as timid as your boy and had someone different anxiety, but she went through 2 homes and rescue twice in a year and a half. She was scared of a number of things and had separation anxiety so bad she tried to escape over a 6 ft gate when I went out to our truck on day one (Dog #1 grabbed her back leg to keep her inside). And then escaped twice more in subsequent days. It takes time and patience - but it happens. Everyone here had great suggestions! Smile

Someone else mentioned bringing in another dog to visit to make him feel ok. I do feel our Frosti got better faster because she had a dog buddy let her know everything is ok. Same thing with one of the foster dogs at our rescue - he was super timid and I had to throw a cloth over his head even to get him in the car when I picked him up after his neuter(btw, awesome trick if they're scared of something - it calms them - vet tech taught me this) - once he saw the other dog he was sooo much better. It was like an endorsement "hey, this place is ok! chill out!". We also had the love and support of our awesome local doggie daycare who was so patient with our Frosti and all our questions during those first few tough weeks. She loved romping with the other dogs and it seems to have sped up her rehabilitation.

BTW, both our dogs slept A LOT the first week - the stress of changing homes does that to them.

Another tip - once he lets you pet him - run your fingers from the top of his muzzle down over the top of his head between his ears, down his head and back between his shoulder blades. Keep doing that in a repetitive motion. It's apparently calming and mimics how a doggie mom grooms them - I think I read that in Siberian Huskies for Dummies.

She also calmed down once she realized we had an established routine and we stuck to it. It seems to calm her to know we're predictable. Smile
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Oh! And Nature's Domain Salmon at Costco is $32 a bag and very similar to Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream (made by the same manufacturer). Our 2 love it!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:54 pm

Yep just brown the beef in a skillet and drain Smile and feed a very small portion. Don't give him a full meal. Like feed a quarter of what you feed him normally at dinner time and if he does well feed him another quarter a couple hours later or something like that. Then give him a bit more in the morning (not much!) and then give him the same amount 4 or so hours later or something. So say if you feed him 3 meals a day (morning lunch and dinner) you'll feed maybe 2 total in the morning 2 total in the afternoon and 2 total in the evening of very small portioned meals)

Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Welcome to the forum and thank you for giving Nelson a home. It's heart-breaking that he is so fearful, but he will come round with time. Well done for all you are doing for him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 6:16 pm

Sara and her mom and huskies came over today for a play date with Nelson (we've renamed him Drake), and it's amazing how different he's acted since they left. His spirits are much higher, he's been approaching me more than he ever has, he's jumped/laid on the couch, these are HUGE improvements. This has really made my day and I hope it just gets better from here! Right now he's sitting beside my chair waiting for me to give him a treat. Smile))
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Sara is wonderful peoples Very Happy I'm happy that her, her mother and the pups could help you both out! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 6:37 pm

Yay Sara! Smile

Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next