It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

So you're frustrated with rescues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

So you're frustrated with rescues Empty
PostSubject: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 11:43 am

I've read a lot of rescue frustration on this site lately and wanted to give you something to think about. These aren't my words because frankly I'm not that eloquent a writer. It does speak volumes and I hope you take the time to read it fully. An educated person whether or not you agree with what is stated at least takes to time to hear both sides of an issue.

http://taysiablue.blogspot.com/2011/12/letter-to-frustrated-applicant.html

One more thing, if you live in the Omaha, Nebraska area this is a wonderful rescue that like most all rescues can use help.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 12:18 pm

I have nothing against rescues. But its very frustrating to be a good person with a home full of love and be immediately turned away because we live in an apartment. Or because we work. Or because of this that or the other. I know what it's like to sift through hundreds of idiotic emails, but when you're not an idiot, and present yourself appropriately... To be automatically denied because you don't live in a certain kind of house or work a certain schedule... It's frustrating and turns a lot of people off.

Without people like Claudia who try and fight for potential adopters, people get screwed out of ever having a chance to own such a great breed. I wish someone had done that for us.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 12:34 pm

Kristina - Here's the bottom line for me on apartments or any other rental situation. Are you (generically speaking) willing to move or do anything else for that matter to keep your dog if something goes wrong? A rescue knows you are at the mercy of another individual, a landlord.

A few things they consider. Chance of someone complaining about your dog is higher, chance of your landlord changing to a new one affecting your rental agreement, people who rent are more nomadic in nature.

I agree it's not fair to do any kind of judgement automatically and that's not what this article is saying. They call landlords, vets and do visits. That turns a lot of people off, so what.

It is up to the applicant to sell themselves and show why they are the best home for a particular dog.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 2:24 pm

People on both sides of the adoption process are going to get frustrated, plain and simple. I've been denied by rescues in the past and it is very upsetting and discouraging to be turned down when you are committed and a great potential home but rescues won't look past their list of requirements. I get that there are reasons for the restrictions but not all rescues are created equal and many don't look at individual circumstances to give potential adopters a chance. I appreciate what is said in the letter but it hardly takes away from how discouraging rescue turn downs can be for genuinely good owners. I had to go the shelter route for my sibe because no rescue would approve me. I lived in an apartment at the time with no fenced yard, but I did have written landlord approval for a sibe.

Today I have a house and fully fenced in large yard with 6 ft fencing all the way around. I bet I still might have an issue with trying to rescue even now because we have 2 small dogs and guinea pigs.

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 3:08 pm

I can appreciate everyone's thoughts and frustrations but I've worked for a rescue (technically a humane society) that had a very liberal adoption policy. a few questions, pay your money and take home a dog. Lots of returns and so the cycle never ends. I have one of those dogs in my pack now Blaze. Adopted to a lady with no fence, lived in a trailer, in the country, with cats. Returned to the shelter for killing a cat, in bad condition I might add. I have tons more examples but that one is personal.

So just as people are soured on rescues adoption restrictions I'm soured on people not holding up their end of the bargain. I guess there is no good solution.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 3:29 pm

Especially with attitudes like this...
Quote :
Here’s where the rubber meets the road. If an applicant is not willing to go through our process, we’re sorry, there are plenty of other families out there willing to endure our scrutiny in order to save a life so we will move on.

That blog post assumes you've gotten through the initial contact firewall to begin the process. Putting the dogs' well being and future first makes sense, but I sometimes think rescues get blinded by their emotions and prejudices.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Couple of videos.

Last edited by Lordbroll on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
I'm soured on people not holding up their end of the bargain. I guess there is no good solution.
I think this statement goes for both sides. I know of some great rescues out there. I also know of some shitty ones. Just like we all know some great husky homes out there. And we all know of some shitty ones.

IMHO, the letter you posted is great, but it doesn't speak to any of the lamentations or concerns that I've heard on this board. I have heard people complain that rescues have blanket rules without exception. That letter didn't seem to say that. In fact it ended with "We don't KNOW you." Right. The implication is, if you got to know a good home, you would adopt to it even if it didn't fall under every single "ideal" criteria.

Let's face it... even homes with ideal circumstances have shitty owners. Owners who won't stand up to their husky and set boundaries.

I'm with Val. People on both sides are going to be frustrated. However, the key is not to let that frustration change the way you think or feel. I was VERY frustrated trying to find Hailey, but does that mean I won't rescue again? Hell no. I will likely rescue every dog I get.

What frustrates ME the most is seeing rescues with these blind rules, without exception, that then turns around and complains that it has too many dogs and not enough people to take care of them and those same dogs are in that rescue year after year (there is one by me locally with that problem). However, they wouldn't adopt out to me... a good home with experience... because I was too far away. Well... you can't have it both ways. If you insist on sticking to those rules without getting to know potential adopters, you can't complain that your shelter is over-run.

Again, I don't think your letter that you posted disagrees with me. I got the impression that we are all on the same page.

So you're frustrated with rescues Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 3:40 pm

harrise wrote:
That blog post assumes you've gotten through the initial contact firewall to begin the process.

I love that Claudia is fighting with our rescue here, so that some of these people can even have a chance past the paper work. i know its super stressful for her because of the one in charge, i wish i had the time to deal with apps. but i don't so i do what i can for the rescue out side of adoptions. i will tell you yes we have some issues with the "rules" and i hope we can make changes to them soon. but we do need to be careful and get as much info as we can from the people sending in the request for adoption so these huskies we have worked so hard on rescuing don't end up in the same situation again. i think the people who truly want to help rescues will jump through the hoops, those that don't do go to shelters or CL, im ok with that as long as they give that pup a forever home and they don't go to a BYB. i hate hearing how a lot of our members who have huskies already are having such a hard time adopting, i agree there needs to be a little give on each end sometimes.

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 3:54 pm

I got denied by a GSD rescue, did a phone interview, application was approved, we had all the requirements covered, but she said I sounded like i was 14 on the phone (i was 21), and then proceeded to email me saying that she didn't want to drive to do the home inspection (it was only 40 mins away), so she said to get one at the pound. I was beyond furious. It is one of the more respected GSD rescues in my area.... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 4:23 pm

jbealer wrote:
I love that Claudia is fighting with our rescue here, so that some of these people can even have a chance past the paper work.

I'm trying!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Koda wrote:
[People on both sides are going to be frustrated. However, the key is not to let that frustration change the way you think or feel. I was VERY frustrated trying to find Hailey, but does that mean I won't rescue again? Hell no. I will likely rescue every dog I get.

BINGO! Very well put! I've been frustrated and put off by rescues in the past but I will never stop trying when I am ready to add to my pack. All my future dogs will be rescues, whether they come from a rescue, shelter, off the street, or whatever. And my negative past experiences with rescues does not deter me in the slightest from trying to offer my home to a dog that they might have available.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 5:59 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
That turns a lot of people off, so what.

That is the attitude I have a problem with. So what that the rescue by me has been sitting on the same 7 Huskies for MONTHS because no one "meets" their criteria.

They complain about how they have no funds, no room for more, no fosters, no adopters...

Yet when I submitted my application (twice!) at $25 a piece I never even got a phone call back. After the 2nd attempt when I had Mickey and after we had moved to accommodate our dog already once (and would do it again.) I gave up and ended up with Cheyenne anyway.

Sorry, that's rude. And that's bad business.

Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 6:16 pm

The rescues in Florida must have problems. Most fosters I've had for multiple rescues here have not been in rescue for more than a few weeks unless they have medical issues.

I'm sorry everyone seems to be having such difficulty adopting. It is about communication and selling yourself. Did you know a lot of the apps include cover letters describing the applicants situation. Don't just assume the application should be the end or follow up with other communication. People want the instant easy solution.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 6:47 pm

Same issue here - rescues in LA are very difficult to deal with. I've been on both sides and I completely understand wanting to find a responsible home for a dog that you've spent the time, effort and money rescuing. And some rescues don't have the time to go through applications thoroughly. I also see the same rescues with the same dogs - year after year. Only adopting out to families with stay at home family member or retired folks, or to those that agree to adopt 2 at a time. I also see those same rescues turn away genuine offers of help from volunteers to help the rescue adopt out more dogs.

We're lucky that Husky Camp took the time to get to know us and our lifestyles, steered us to the right dogs and offered post-adoption support. I monitor their website all the time and very rarely see dogs come back into rescue, other than for financial reasons (foreclosure, etc).

Rescues needs to learn some customer service skills and how to delegate. I know it's tough work and the work never ends. Ask for help! The rescue I volunteer with now is so incredibly well organized and is good at asking for help nicely! You can be choosy in picking adopters while still being nice about it and evaluating each on a case by case basis.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
I'm sorry everyone seems to be having such difficulty adopting. It is about communication and selling yourself. Did you know a lot of the apps include cover letters describing the applicants situation. Don't just assume the application should be the end or follow up with other communication. People want the instant easy solution.

Honestly, I would have never thought about including a cover letter. It wasn't becuase I wanted the easy solution. I thought I would get the chance to sell myself when I got the home visit or a phone interview but I couldn't get that far from any of the rescues I contacted. Most dind't respond at all, several said I was too far away and one had me on hold for 4 weeks to tell me that the dog of my choice would not be a good fit. Honestly I don't see how they could have even judged that since there was no home visit, no phone interview, non of my references were called nor my vet. To be fair, I probably put them off when on the THIRD week of waiting they finally said they would process my application I had already found Piper, but after much consideration I decided to proceed and I would have liked for them to atleast have made an effort to see if I reallly was not a good fit. So yeah, I am put off of rescues... for now anyway. I may change my mind and try again in the future.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:37 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
Don't just assume the application should be the end or follow up with other communication. People want the instant easy solution.
That's what I find offensive. Who is assuming that, Brian? Where in this entire thread or BOARD has anyone here suggested that we feel rescue contact ends with the application?? I was personally trying for WEEKS (however, I'm not sure how much you really want me to follow up when I sent my application, followed up, and received an email that said "You're too far away. Try X rescue. Oh they said the same? I can't help you, sorry."). Mindy was trying for weeks and going back and forth with rescues via email. Where has ANYONE given you the impression that we want an easy solution??

Brian, I appreciate the work you do and KNOW that you help to run a very reputable rescue and I actually don't believe that any of us would have had a problem with the rescue that you run. But open your eyes. There are good and well-intentioned people out there who do crappy things on BOTH sides of this issue. Just because people in rescue work their asses off and do the best they can for the dogs doesn't mean that many don't have flaws or allow their personal biases or jaded sense of reality run their organization.

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
The rescues in Florida must have problems.

It's not just FL, it's all over the country as evidenced by the members here on this forum alone. FWIW, the rescues that wouldn't even give me half a chance to sell myself as a good prospect were all in northwestern WA (in and around the Seattle/British Columbia area more specifically).

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 9:26 pm

Myself I had a negative experience and damn was I pissed with a Husky rescue but enough of that. Just want to thank you Claudia, Brian and all the other rescue people out there for the work they do. As much as I'd love to be a volunteer, work and time agendas just don't allow me to do it as well as I'd like to. I continue to contribute what I can and hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 9:49 pm

Ditto what Len said. Despite the aggravations I have experienced, I have hopes of becoming a foster one day. I will be putting in my application once I get to move where I will have a fenced in yard. I think it's awesome what you all do for these dogs and I hope to be able to contribute when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 10:09 pm

Thanks Len / Mindy.

Sorry about all the bad experiences. I know rescues aren't perfect NOBODY IS at least rescues aren't adding to the problem.

Tori - Not my intention to offend just educate what rescues have to deal with.

I know all too well about rescues being too far away as here in Oklahoma we don't have any husky rescues and they suffer weekly because of it. One of the highest puppy mill / BYB states. Still I refuse to foster another animal for a non-breed rescue that has such a liberal adoption that I end up with more fosters returned. 2 very sweet huskies in the last year I volunteered was enough. So my opinion is influenced by my surroundings. I would be glad to devote my time to something else trust me. I'll continue to fight for the Sibes here that need help, just wish I had some myself.

EDIT: If anyone wants a rescue without any adoption process come to Oklahoma, you have money and transport they have a dog.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
Sorry about all the bad experiences. I know rescues aren't perfect NOBODY IS at least rescues aren't adding to the problem.

Tori - Not my intention to offend just educate what rescues have to deal with.
I think you will find that you're preaching to the choir. Truly. I don't know a single member here who doesn't understand the amount of work that rescues put in.

And its not your job to apologize. You are not the problem even though you do rescue work. Just like we are not the problem even though we complain about our experiences with some rescues. Wink

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 1:24 am

Right Tori,

Just because of the issues I've had with the rescues down here doesn't mean that I oppose them. I'm constantly pushing rescue on my meetup group as well as help out the rescue that double denied me. While what I've been put through upsets me and irritates me... I still love the breed. And they do too. I just wish they'd get off their high horse and realize a house with a yard doesn't spell perfect. There are many out there that push to make it work and would be fantastic owners if given the time of day.

In no way shape or form would I ever endorse any breeder over rescue.

Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 5:04 pm

The application I was working on - the guy that lives in an apartment that is a field technician maintaining cell sites - I got him approved! sunny

He's never had a sibe before, but when I wasked, 'What can you tell me about the breed?' He bought a book and read up on the breed (origin, care and maintenance, exercise, etc) before I even called him. So that was +1 for him. He runs, hikes and snowshoes and he plans to take his husky everywhere he can Smile

Now, I just need to confirm the apartment complex accepts pets and they do not have a breed restriction against huskies.

Then all I gotta do is find a husky good with small kids....and I may have 2 options for him already!

Yay!

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 5:07 pm

^^^Awesome! Very Happy Nice work Claudia!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So you're frustrated with rescues   So you're frustrated with rescues Empty

Back to top Go down

So you're frustrated with rescues

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next