It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Can some of you talk to me about fostering?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gladahmae
Teenager
Teenager
gladahmae

Female Join date : 2012-02-13

Can some of you talk to me about fostering? Empty
PostSubject: Can some of you talk to me about fostering?   Can some of you talk to me about fostering? EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm curious about fostering. While it's not something that we could consider doing in the near future as we have our hands full enough with an infant, a pre-schooler, and a kindergartener, in addition to the 2 dogs, I'm thinking ahead and wondering if it could be for us. I don't want to horror stores, since worst-case scenarios are always possible, but tend to be few and far between. I'm looking for experiences of what it's like to take a dog into your home, and then help it find a new family.

Inspiration? This lovely lady that I found on petfinder. http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22248318?rvp=1
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Can some of you talk to me about fostering?   Can some of you talk to me about fostering? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Oooh she is a beautiful dog!

Fostering has its pros and cons. If a family/individual can do it, thank goodness! Lord knows there are zillions of rescues out there that desperately need foster homes.

We became fosters because we specifically love Siberians. I don't consider myself much of a "dog" person, I like all animals, but I'm more of a big cat/exotic cat person. For whatever reason, I have a particular fondness for Siberians. And only Siberians. I wouldn't own any other dog. Sounds closed-minded? Not really...I just know where my heart is. That being said, I think that is one of the most important factors in deciding to be a foster. If you are PASSIONATE about a specific breed, or all dogs in general, I think you will be a better foster parent. I could never be a foster for small dogs, for example. My heart wouldn't fully be into it, and I don't think the dog would thrive as much as it would in a home where the foster is passionate about small dogs. (Errr...hate to admit it, but I'm one of those people that shudders when we pass the "small" dog area at the dog park and they yipe at us)

Another step in fostering, is setting and knowing your boundaries. You have a family too...so always keep in mind how much time you could devote to another furry friend. I have two boys myself, ages 3 and 5. I'm fortunate to be a SAHM (for the most part), and have a hubby who is always here when he isn't working. Since the boys are so small, I know I couldn't consider taking in a dog with aggressive issues, medical issues, or anything requiring over the top care. When my significant other goes to work (offshore diving, usually March-Sept.), then I know my fostering days will have to be put on hold. I know taking care of two boys, a home, and our two puppies is enough work for me. Having a foster wouldn't be advantageous for the dog...so then I just volunteer and help to do other things. Like recruit other fosters, volunteers, and promote adoptions.

I think it is always a good idea to find a rescue near and dear to your heart, and start off by volunteering. Gives you a chance to get to know the other volunteers, how the rescue operates, and familiarizes you with the politics of it all. (And there is much of it!)

It's like the story of the starfish. One person might not be able to throw thousands of them back out to sea, but saving one at a time is better than none! Here is a great website I found about fostering:

http://www.fosterdogs.com/
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Can some of you talk to me about fostering?   Can some of you talk to me about fostering? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Mermaidista wrote:
I think it is always a good idea to find a rescue near and dear to your heart, and start off by volunteering. Gives you a chance to get to know the other volunteers, how the rescue operates, and familiarizes you with the politics of it all. (And there is much of it!)

Nikki gave excellent advice. I really don't have much to add but to double note the above advice. Getting involved with the wrong rescue where your personal ideas and beliefs don't match their guidelines, processes and policies can sour your experience big time. I've fostered Sibes for several rescues (none breed specific unfortunately) and I can tell you I won't foster for an organization that doesn't understand breed differences. One size fits all policies don't work for me.

I would highly recommend fostering though, it makes the single biggest impact on saving lives.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Can some of you talk to me about fostering?   Can some of you talk to me about fostering? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 4:01 pm

I've never been a foster, but I do a lot with the rescue (from serving as one of the board members, and being one of the officers, to working adoptions, events, and being aware of the happenings with foster homes, adoptable huskies, surrenders and adoptions that I do not handle).

You've already gotten excellent advice from Brian and Nikki, but wanted to add what some of the things are that may be expected from you as a foster home. This can all vary depending on how the rescue runs.

Our foster homes are subject to application approval which will tell us if you have breed experience, and what are your specific experiences (have you dealt with aggression? seperation anxiety? food aggression? etc.) Do you have a safe and secure yard? Do you have small children or small animals? How long will you be away for work? etc. This is so that we know what kind of temperments in a husky we can place with you to ensure success for both you and the husky.

We try to reimburse food expenses back to the foster homes but this depends on how much funds are available in the rescue's account. So be prepared to have that expense possibly come out of your own pocket. Routine vet check ups and expenses should be covered by the rescue.

We ask foster homes to be part of the meet and greet if there is a potential adoption application for the foster you have. You know the husky best. For our rescue, when I work an adoption application, and I think a certain husky is a good match, I coordinate the meet and greet and almost expect for the foster parents to be there so they can help me decide if it is really a good match especially when there is an existing dog in the home. I will also give the final say to the foster home whether or not it is a good match. So we do expect our foster homes to get to know the husky as well as they can. This is all to make sure it is a successful and permanent adoption.

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Can some of you talk to me about fostering?   Can some of you talk to me about fostering? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 4:16 pm

cmanding wrote:
We ask foster homes to be part of the meet and greet if there is a potential adoption application for the foster you have. You know the husky best. For our rescue, when I work an adoption application, and I think a certain husky is a good match, I coordinate the meet and greet and almost expect for the foster parents to be there so they can help me decide if it is really a good match especially when there is an existing dog in the home. I will also give the final say to the foster home whether or not it is a good match. So we do expect our foster homes to get to know the husky as well as they can. This is all to make sure it is a successful and permanent adoption.

Thanks for reminding me of this Claudia. One of the big things I insist on as a foster is to meet potential adopters. You will have a lot of time and energy spent on as well as attachment to a foster dog. Not all rescues allow you as a foster parent to be involved with the adoption, which is why I've parted ways some of them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Can some of you talk to me about fostering?   Can some of you talk to me about fostering? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Wait, Claudia - didn't you foster Sully? Even if it was just short-term?

We haven't fostered but I find, evaluate and drop off dogs with fosters for our rescue. I know you're going through issues with your own dog - and once those are resolved, you'll be that much better at fostering and helping dogs transition to their forever home!

I fall in love with some of the dogs I help rescue, but I know that I'll feel that much better finding them their forever home and making their new parents as happy as our 2 have made us!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Can some of you talk to me about fostering?   Can some of you talk to me about fostering? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 5:01 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Wait, Claudia - didn't you foster Sully? Even if it was just short-term?
I did! I suppose you could say I fostered him for all of 2 weeks! And I paid for his pain meds at full price, AND bought him glucosamine and treats - all of which went to his forever home!

You don't have to send anything with your foster dog when a forever home is found, but a gallon size ziploc bag of their current food so the new family has some food until they can go buy more or they enough to transition him on to a new food if they are going switch foods.

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Can some of you talk to me about fostering?   Can some of you talk to me about fostering? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 8:35 pm

I've fostered kittens for a shelter and a rescue. Both paid for all the expenses. I find it very rewarding and fun. With kittens they usually come to you sick and the first couple of weeks is really messy as they learn to use the litter box and get over their sickness. But after that it's smooth sailing! I'm lucky enough to be able to post my kittens on petfinder and I usually find them homes before they need to go back to the shelter (after they reach 2.5lbs).

As for dogs, I've grown up with rescues coming and going since my mom does all breed rescue. I more blame who my mom chooses to bring home (she likes the tough cases for some reason. Dog brought in cause it was a biter? Oh she'll take it!) than the dogs at the shelter, but she gets some real cases. But if I were to foster dogs, I would make sure I met the dog first and make sure it would be fine in my house. At least for kittens, you can choose which ones you take home (but that's partially cause there are so many of them that they really don't care which ones you take home, they're just glad they're in a foster home). If you think you can care for another dog and not get too attached, then go for it. We always end up liking one kitten the best and wish we could keep it, but if we did that we'd have like 11 cats by now! lol.

Can some of you talk to me about fostering? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
gladahmae
Teenager
Teenager
gladahmae

Female Join date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Can some of you talk to me about fostering?   Can some of you talk to me about fostering? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 8:53 pm

The issues we're dealing with are a big reason I'm interested in fostering. Unfortunately, there are only 2 rescues in our area, and I don't think they have the best reputations with the vet clinics, etc. as far as making payments. I understand the difficulty to have funds, but from talking to our vet a in the past, they've basically done the iou thing and then moved to a different clinic.

I can definately see myself getting really attached though.....
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Can some of you talk to me about fostering?   Can some of you talk to me about fostering? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 9:01 pm

Probably would be a long shot, but ask your local shelters if they have a foster program. Many don't, but a few good ones do. A shelter is usually more set up to pay for everything than a lot of rescues.

Can some of you talk to me about fostering? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can some of you talk to me about fostering?   Can some of you talk to me about fostering? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can some of you talk to me about fostering?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1