It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

lets try fostering

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 2:26 pm

So I was just sent an email from our rescue about a new male that will need a foster home because his parents had to move into a town home! Rolling Eyes
his name is Day Day (gag me!!!) and he is 3yrs old and neutered.
lets try fostering Dayday10

god she knows im a sucker for the reds!! ken and i talked last night and we don't think were ready to commit to a 3rd right now but what is stopping us from fostering is the shear fact of becoming attached to them, with Maui it was easy to "give her up" because they were all fighting, what if they all get along... i just don't know if i have the strength to foster and be able to give them up to a new home. what if S&J get attached will they be affected by it? any one have any thoughts on this? we all know our sibs get depressed if they lose their friend, is it the same if the foster is only in the home a short time? our rescue is have a great success turning around and finding homes for all the huskies so it is possible he might not be with us long. thanks for any suggestions!

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 3:02 pm

I don't have foster experience, but the fosters we do have with more than 1 dog in the home seem to be OK when the foster finds a forever home.

I think S&J will be OK if you decide to foster because even after the dog leaves, they will still have each other and their bond in tight.

I may have a 'foster to adopt' for this boy, but when I saw his weight, I needed to confirm if he really is 70 lbs - most surrenders over estimate their weight!

Would it help if you thought, 'I am going to help this boy find his forever home!'?

Husky Stalker
jbealer

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 3:09 pm

70lbs!!! i asked her for more info, he does not look that big affraid

im trying to think of all the +'s that go with fostering, like getting him out of the home now and into a better environment and that i can learn about him and help him with a forever home.

Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 3:11 pm

I support this!

With respects to you and your pack getting attached to what would be a 3rd red / white husky Razz , that is very much up to you and your experiences. You will benefit from already having two Sibes, so if when that time comes, they will be able to turn to each other for companionship. I guess that leaves you and your husband…of course you will find yourselves attached to a certain degree, but when fostering, I think it is important to remind yourself that you are doing something great for the husky and your local rescue is going to do everything they possibly can to find a new “forever home”. If you feel that you will become too attached to “Day Day” if he works his way into your pack, and Sierra and Jack take the newb under their wing so to speak, there is nothing preventing you from asking the rescue about the possibility of adopting. Then of course, that all depends on the two of you determining that a 3rd Sibe fits the bill.

Now, if you only had one…see below note (just based on my experience with Brewer).

…We have been tossing around the idea of fostering with the hopes of helping Brewer’s separation anxiety. Prior to picking him up, he was doing a lot better with kenneling at the foster home that had a 2nd husky, and they definitely formed a tight bond even if it was only for 2 weeks. In regards to fostering, I think our situation is somewhat unique in that our local rescue, MUSHR, would allow us to foster huskies that have already proven themselves to be compatible with Brewer…and visa versa. In fact, we have already met with option numero uno and round one didn’t exactly go as planned. A lot of flying hair and wet backs pretty much sums up their introduction to one another Suspect . They will get a 2nd chance to kiss and make up this weekend…

Anywho, best of luck with the decision and keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Fostering is great Jenn, it's the one thing most rescues need desperately to save more lives. I've had probably 6 to 10 fosters. It was hard to give almost every one up for me. Never thought they were going to a good enough home. Most upon followup calls / visits are doing very well.

I've had 2 foster failures Sebo (never gave him up as I had too much emotion invested in his 9 month recovery) and Blaze (gave up once and returned).

The dogs really seemed unaffected by the comings and goings (at least long term) of fosters unless there were fighting issues (only had this with a bossy female foster). I think since my boys made frequent socialization trips to daycare and dog parks, giving up a playmate wasn't an issue. Plus the short duration of their stay (all except a 9yo Great Pyr I fostered were here less than a month) lessened any bonding.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 3:51 pm

I don't think he's 70 lbs! I just talked to her and the other pictues doesn't appear for him to be that big! Like I said, a lot of surrenders tend to think they weigh more than they really do - maybe it's because they all think they are a 'large' breed dog so they assume they weight over 65 lbs!

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 5:26 pm

When I fostered and adopted out Raleigh it was hard to say goodbye of course but I knew he was going to a great home! Although when he left I knew I could handle another and it wasn't too long before we got another dog lol

My dogs didn't seem to mind Raleigh leaving... They were kinda weird when we came home from the park without him but were fine and normal by the next morning. I think it would be a great chance to see if a 3rd male Sibe would work for you guys.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Fostering saves lives! With our fosters at the rescue, the owner's dogs get used to the new dog and just go on without them when they leave (if there's more than 1 dog in the house - otherwise they might mope around for a week or so). One of our foster moms has four fosters - but was up to 9 at one point with 7 puppies! Plus her own dog!

I just returned one dog back to his foster home after 3 weeks with a forever home that didn't work out (ugh - what part of "don't let them off leash" do you NOT understand??) and all the dogs greeted each other like he'd never left!

Dogs are more resilient than you'd think! Our dogs have regular buddies at day care that they spent every day with for a period of time and then sometimes don't see again. I think it's good for them and socializes them to adjust to new dogs around them.

Plus, even though I love some of these rescues and get attached (I just play with them/transport them - hope to foster in the future once our two settle in more) - it is soooo awesome to see them with a great forever family that you may be sad for a few moments....but also happy to make another family as happy as your dogs have made you!
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 7:51 pm

I agree with everyone here, Jenn.

This is my first time fostering Sibes with other Sibes, and I can say this much for advice.

Commit to the plan! He is a foster, he isn't yours. Keep it in your mind, that thanks to you, he has a safe haven until he finds a new home. Make that decision-stick to it, and if the occasion occurs that you find yourself too attached, then revisit the idea of keeping him.
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 8:24 pm

I agree with everyone also.

I really want to foster, Keaton says no though. Mainly because of the cat, but he knows he would get attached..
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 8:32 pm

I would love to foster as well, but I just don't think it would work with our current financial situation and I know we'd both become too attached...Smile Maybe someday...
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 8:35 pm

Demon&Dakota wrote:
I would love to foster as well, but I just don't think it would work with our current financial situation and I know we'd both become too attached...Smile Maybe someday...
Kim, i know with ours i think we help the fosters with food, and they cover the needed vet stuff so its more of a time thing then anything Smile

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Same with our rescue - we cover all costs. You just provide a warm home and belly rubs! Smile
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 10:03 pm

I couldn't do it myself as each adoption would rip my heart out when they left, battling the resulting depression would be just to much for me to handle any more.

BUT, I do applaud those that do so and may God bless them for it.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 10:29 pm

Do it! Hey I just brought home 7 foster kittens! Kittens are way easier I know, but once you get the hang of it, you'll probably want to keep fostering. I was lucky and grew up with dogs coming and going from my mom's rescue, so I don't get too attached. I really like finding kittens new homes and always feel good about getting them out of the shelter and raised in a good home environment. It's so rewarding finding them new homes and about a year later I get e-mails from the new homes with pictures of the cats all grown up!

lets try fostering Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 10:37 pm

WOW HE LOOKS SO MUCH LIKE ZOEY!!!!

With that said ( Razz ) I always said I would love to foster if Mya was more doggie friendly, but I know for a fact that I would be torn apart giving them up. I'm just a total wuss!!! It's a great thing to do and I know fosters are needed desperately so I say go for it!!! It's a great chance to see how Sierra will react with a male Smile
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 10:41 pm

Um...if you don't want him...I do!!! He is gorgeous!!!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 10:45 pm

MelissaI wrote:
WOW HE LOOKS SO MUCH LIKE ZOEY!!!!

lol! i was thinking the same thing!
Back to top Go down
cherbear
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-01-14

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 12:51 am

Agreed with everyone. I have had several fosters and my last foster was the toughest to let go. But I did it. And my two sibes didn't seemed bothered when the foster left. My last foster I had for about 5 months. She was a harder one to place as she has a birth defect in her back legs that caused her to be bow legged. And not many people want to deal with a special needs dog. She was sweet as can be and she didn't even know she had a handicap she would still run and play with my other sibes. Fostering is an awesome thing to do and in the end is very rewarding.
Back to top Go down
gladahmae
Teenager
Teenager
gladahmae

Female Join date : 2012-02-13

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:36 pm

so how is this going? did day-day come to stay with you?
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:38 pm

jbealer wrote:
So I was just sent an email from our rescue about a new male that will need a foster home because his parents had to move into a town home! Rolling Eyes
his name is Day Day (gag me!!!) and he is 3yrs old and neutered.
lets try fostering Dayday10

god she knows im a sucker for the reds!! ken and i talked last night and we don't think were ready to commit to a 3rd right now but what is stopping us from fostering is the shear fact of becoming attached to them, with Maui it was easy to "give her up" because they were all fighting, what if they all get along... i just don't know if i have the strength to foster and be able to give them up to a new home. what if S&J get attached will they be affected by it? any one have any thoughts on this? we all know our sibs get depressed if they lose their friend, is it the same if the foster is only in the home a short time? our rescue is have a great success turning around and finding homes for all the huskies so it is possible he might not be with us long. thanks for any suggestions!

OH CAN I HAVE HIM?! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

lets try fostering Empty
PostSubject: Re: lets try fostering   lets try fostering Empty

Back to top Go down

lets try fostering

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1