It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
honey_bee
Newborn
Newborn
honey_bee

Female Join date : 2012-02-20

Can an old dog learn new tricks? Empty
PostSubject: Can an old dog learn new tricks?   Can an old dog learn new tricks? EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 9:54 am

In regards to my new 6 year old rescue (previously abused and neglected)

It appears she knows how to sit on command. But....thats about it!

Doesn't do down, drop, anything like that.

Where do I go from here with a dog of this age with virtually no obedience training it seems.

She is a lovely dog though, just no obedience besides sit.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?   Can an old dog learn new tricks? EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:08 am

The trainer we had for beginning classes said you can train them at that age also..

Are there any trainer in your area. ??

We went to Petsmart here.

Back to top Go down
honey_bee
Newborn
Newborn
honey_bee

PostSubject: Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?   Can an old dog learn new tricks? EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:21 am

ljelgin wrote:

I am not sure, I am in Australia, I don't think there is a huge range here! I know some pet stores (not ones that sell animals, just products) do puppy classes.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?   Can an old dog learn new tricks? EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:31 am

honey_bee wrote:
ljelgin wrote:

I am not sure, I am in Australia, I don't think there is a huge range here! I know some pet stores (not ones that sell animals, just products) do puppy classes.

I would check with them maybe they will be willing to work with you..

ALso there is information on the internet on dog training you could try it yourself.
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?   Can an old dog learn new tricks? EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 11:49 am

Check out your local pet shops and ask if they do training, or if they know someone who does training. Most pet shops should at least be able to point you in the direction of a trainer.

Then, you'll want to talk to the trainer and explain your situation. If the trainer doesn't think you can train your dog, just find a different trainer. If you don't feel comfortable with the methods or reactions of the trainer, walk away and find a different trainer. No matter how good the trainer is with other people's dogs, if you aren't going to follow their suggestions, you're throwing money away. Find someone you get along with, and someone who seems happy to help your dog, and you will have the best results, simply because you'll be willing to do your part, outside of class.

Also, ask some friends, family, or neighbors if they've had dog training and can suggest anyone.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?   Can an old dog learn new tricks? EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 2:06 pm

before you go trying to train new "tricks" work on her trusting you first, with the abuse you want to be careful to not overwhelm her at first and with trying to teach things before she is settled and you getting frustrated with her not doing them. give her a few weeks. sit is a good start, Sierra and Jack were taught everything when we got them. they knew sit and jack knew down but since then we have worked on usable "tricks" like come, stay, leave it, right/left, heal, easy (slowing down on sketchy walks), where to go for food and things like that. they can lean at any age Smile

Newborn
Newborn
honey_bee

PostSubject: Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?   Can an old dog learn new tricks? EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 7:39 pm

jbealer wrote:
before you go trying to train new "tricks" work on her trusting you first, with the abuse you want to be careful to not overwhelm her at first and with trying to teach things before she is settled and you getting frustrated with her not doing them. give her a few weeks. sit is a good start, Sierra and Jack were taught everything when we got them. they knew sit and jack knew down but since then we have worked on usable "tricks" like come, stay, leave it, right/left, heal, easy (slowing down on sketchy walks), where to go for food and things like that. they can lean at any age Smile

Thanks for that. I didn't consider that about her needing to trust me.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?   Can an old dog learn new tricks? EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 8:30 pm

honey_bee wrote:
Thanks for that. I didn't consider that about her needing to trust me.

well i can speak from experience Sad Sierra needed a good amount of work with my husband and all men in fact (from abuse), i was lucky she trusted me right off the bat because i was female. i started all the training with her and in time my husband started to work with her once she started to trust him (almost a yr) she will still bear teeth at him if she does not want him close and if he is asking her to do anything and im home she will come to me first almost asking for permission to do what he is asking. she is ok with him and doing commands if im not home because she does know he is alpha and he will not hurt her. but it took time. but like i said you can do it but dont get mad if she is not reacting just yet, she is still figuring you and the home out. we had a trainer come to the house after we got jack to evaluate them both and help us out. we looked for a trainer that has dealt with huskies or pack animals and found a guy that had worked with others huskies and he also studies wolfs and understood the alpha and pack tendencies of the husky, so make sure you find someone that knows that stuff, you get someone that trains labs and GDS they will not be much use on a husky.

Ken just sent me a text and Sierra just kissed him! it was a first Smile I love you

PostSubject: Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?   Can an old dog learn new tricks? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1