It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Koda has been very bad today :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

Koda has been very bad today :( - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Ghost wrote:
Just to echo what Brian and Val have said, positive reinforcement is what works for us too. That means as far as possible, setting the dog up for success,ignoring bad behaviour and rewarding the positive.

Sam, I get that you didn't mean to use negative reinforcement when you were talking about 'pack leader', but that's what most people understand that kind of approach to mean.

Fwiw, I know of two studies that have compared positive reinforcement approaches to training companion animals versus a more negative/pack theory approach. The dogs trained using positive reinforcement were less likely to have behavioural problems and less likely to show aggression. Okay, that's only two studies, but I don't know of any that showed the opposite, and this is part of a wider change in canine behavioural science away from pack theory/dominance ideas.

Rachel, I'm sorry it turns out that Koda is so unhappy with people coming into the home. This trial run has certainly turned out to be a trial. Only you can decide the best thing for you and your husband, Drake, and Koda, and whatever that is, we're here to support you.

I think that is any breed, this is my first time with a husky but i've had lots of other breeds nd positive reinforcement always worked for me and them.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 4:07 pm

Sometimes these threads are as much about education as advice, and I understand that someone not familiar with NILIF could misunderstand. NILIF naturally goes hand in hand with positive reinforcement. Here's a great link that explains it: http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

This is also a good explanation:
"For dogs with behavior problems, trainers employ programs such as “Nothing in Life is Free (NILIF)” which works along the principal that the dog must “do” something to earn what he wants (i.e. sit to get dinner, walk on a loose leash to move forward, etc.) These programs are effective because the dog is issued a structured set of rules that are consistently reinforced and the dog learns what he needs to do in order to get the things that he wants such as food, petting, playtime, etc. Because dogs do not have the power of human speech and language, behavior problems and anxiety can result when they are left to fend for themselves in deciding how to live in our world without guidance that makes sense. Just like with people, we behave better and thrive in a world that “makes sense” to us and has a clear structure. " - http://www.apdt.com/petowners/choose/dominance.aspx

This article also explains that while not letting the dog on the couch is not a part of NILIF, each owner makes the rules for their household. Koda has shown in a previous thread that she was guarding the couch.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 4:22 pm

I just wanna aplogize for coming off so biotchy. I understand you are having a hard time. Sometimes I just get too heated. I shouldn't have claimed you weren't willing..maybe just not ready yet? FWIW I was husky-retarded before this site. I hope I dont hinder your chance to help koda.

My apologies
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 5:02 pm

I'm so glad someone was able to come by and see her. She definitely sounds as though she is exhibiting some guarding/fear issues between you and guests in the home.

Knowing how this situation played out if she were my dog I would begin working with her on people coming over. I would immediately stop the barking in their face behavior. From what I can see she's saying "Who Are you? Why Are you here? This is my house! This is my human!" After ignoring her she layed down and Rachel you noticed her continue to stress and be anxious. Even though she wasn't making as much noise she probably was more stressed and anxious about this new person in HER house. When she sat to the floor i'm sure that pushed her stress level higher and the movement of her hand was "enough" to make her snap and give warning that she was NOT comfortable with what this person was doing in HER house.

To avoid that whole inter escalation of stress/anxiety I would step in and remove her from the room until she relaxes and slowly bring her back out on leash... first being further away from the new person and moving forward when she's relaxed. You can have the new person toss treats to her from where they are. Either way allowing her to escalate like that without stepping in or redirecting/reassurance that this person is OK and this is in fact YOUR house. She seems like she's stepped in someones shoes that are too big for her and she's not capable of handing. In order for her to overcome this "fear" she has to feel comfortable in her position, right now the position that she's taken isn't appropriate for her.

I honestly think NILIF would do a lot for her now, as well as some basic confidence building.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Sam, perhaps I misunderstood you, or it's an issue of semantics. I agree with you completely that dogs should have rules and boundaries, and that NILIF can be useful in many cases. In any case, like I said, I realized that you weren't advocating alpha rolls or any of that stuff that many people think of when 'pack leader' is mentioned, and that's why my comments were general.

I think the apdt link that you provided just now is excellent in explaining about dominance myths. Fwiw, it's in conflict with the earlier link you posted from dogbreedinfo about identifying dominance behaviour in dogs, which is the kind of thing that the apdt is describing as a 'myth'.

Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

Female Join date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 8:07 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
I just wanna aplogize for coming off so biotchy. I understand you are having a hard time. Sometimes I just get too heated. I shouldn't have claimed you weren't willing..maybe just not ready yet? FWIW I was husky-retarded before this site. I hope I dont hinder your chance to help koda.

My apologies

No hard feelings Megan, I realize that everyone on this forum loves huskies and it's easy to get heated. I appreciate your understanding though. And yes, I would say that we're unsure if we're ready to take on two "problem" dogs. If Drake was normal and Koda had her issues, this wouldn't be a hard decision.
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

Female Join date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 8:13 pm

Well everyone, I think that we have come to a solution that (I hope) will make everyone happy. We've been speaking frequently with the rescue to try and come up with a solution. They have decided to let us act as fosters in view of adoption...The adoption isn't finalized yet, and they're going to wait to finalize it until we're comfortable. They are also going to send behaviorists from Bark Busters to come to our house and work with Koda as much as needed. This REALLY sets our mind at ease and we're comfortable with this arrangement. It gives Koda a chance to settle in, get used to a routine, and hopefully we'll see her true colors come out with time. We really want to keep her but were afraid of finalizing the adoption and being trapped in a situation that was too difficult for us to handle at this stage of our lives. This flexibility allows us to keep her if we are able to improve her behavior and help her settle in, but also to give her back to the rescue (and another foster who can work with her) if things do not improve. We're excited and hopeful that the behaviorists will be able to help us work with her to make her a secure, confident, and loving dog.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 8:20 pm

Rachel, i think that is a GREAT solution! i hope it all works out in the end with the support you will be getting Smile i do have to ask because im sure with the rescue i work with we will take back any husky we adopted out regardless of how long someone had them for any reason, does this rescue not do the same? what makes signing the papers to adopt locked in stone that you have to keep her? just wondering. but they sound like they have your back and want to make it work Smile and maybe its just a ease on your mind that its not permanent yet?

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 8:26 pm

Awesome solution and being a rescuer I love to hear they are going to help anyway possible.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 8:29 pm

That's great news, Rachel. Well done. I hope it all works out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 9:02 pm

That's awesome news!! :-)
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 9:31 pm

I have been following this thread since the beginning. Just wanted to say that I think that the solution you both came to is perfect and am sending best wishes your way! Very Happy Drake and Koda are both special to you and everyone here can see and feel it!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 10:25 pm

That's great news, and good for them for sending out behaviorists!!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Awesome news!!! I'm glad that you and hubby and agree on this decision. That's a great start!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 11:51 pm

Very pleased to hear this! Best of luck to you and please keep us updated on the progress! Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Koda has been very bad today :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3