It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Craigslist Huskies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:23 pm

tiffany wrote:
today i've been tempted to list Klutch on CL lol he is driving me batty with this cold weather moving in!

Oh I would take him. These Crazy Huskies get batty in the cool temps. don't they.
Our two will drive you nuts I call them my maniacs by the way they have been acting.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:28 pm

Katie, that second post, wow. I get wanting to give them a good home but that guy is an ass. NO NEED APPLY
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:29 pm

I know I felt the same way!!
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:36 pm

Did anyone notice in the 2nd one that guy mentioned she's good in bars? Who takes a husky to the bar???
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:50 pm

Heather! wrote:
Katie, that second post, wow. I get wanting to give them a good home but that guy is an ass. NO NEED APPLY

This was my exact thought! I completely understand wanting to find your dog a good home but I'm sorry that's beyond crazy. He wants someone at home with the dog 24/7. I'm not home with Anna 24/7 but when I'm not at school Anna is always with me. My world revolves around Anna and I go to school for a few hours a day. You can give a dog a good home even if you work. I will never understand people.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:03 am

And says you pretty much have to be married or have kids, and have money... Uhh, your dog doesn't need 21 rawhides a week as a requirement.
Back to top Go down
lpp06
Puppy
Puppy
lpp06

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 5:30 am

Heather! wrote:
And says you pretty much have to be married or have kids, and have money... Uhh, your dog doesn't need 21 rawhides a week as a requirement.

I feel like this is what 99% of rescue groups are looking for in forever homes
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 5:42 am

I hate all the rescue groups around me. I got denied by all of them and yet I still own 3 very happy huskies.

They don't like that I have cats, even though they had 5 litters of puppies that could EASILY be raised to live with cats. So dumb.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 5:58 am

Rescue groups, at least here and from what I have read- alot of place, are so full of themselves that the rules are ludicrous. I have found though that if you put feelers out to the more general dog rescues and help out with them so they get to know you, they tend to be more relaxed on rules. I found Sophie on a local rescues FB page. A friend of mine told them about me and then I got a call from the handler of her and I hadn't even gave my number to anyone. This weekend I went to down to work at a rescue in central IN and talked to everyone there about Mojo the red husky they have. I love his personality. He gives hugs, literally hugs. He will put he paws around you and link them on the other side and squeeze. Such a sweetie. So that is my recommendation is to talk to them and help out, work at their events, over to just come walk the dog a few times if they have the on you like or just build up that friendship. Most likely they have gotten burned in the past and that is why they are crazy about rules, but some around me are just a show and you can get around them.

Best of luck to any that adopt, foster, or take in rescues- the rewards are great when you hear compliments on how they act since you have had them. And Kudos to all that have taken them in, I love hearing the stories of the ones saved.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 11:50 am

Rescue, especially breed specific ones, are about the animal and it's welfare nothing else. These dogs have usually been discarded once already. If you don't sell yourself as a good home your chances are slim.

Craigslist and breeders are glad to take you money.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:33 pm

My dad is having issues with rescues right now...he wanted to adopt a golden retriever. He has a huge yard (acre and a half) but its not fenced in (hasn't been for the last 15yrs). Because the backyard isn't fenced in, they wont even consider him. Which is sad because he would give a lucky dog a really good home. Sad
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 2:43 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
Rescue, especially breed specific ones, are about the animal and it's welfare nothing else. These dogs have usually been discarded once already. If you don't sell yourself as a good home your chances are slim.

Agreed. Yes, there are rescues out there that can be difficult to work with, but as Brian said they are looking out for the welfare of the Animal. I would strongly disagree with anyone who says all or even most rescues are impossible and/or too picky. Speaking as someone who does work with rescues, and there are several of us on here, we really do try to work with people if we think they will be a good home. We just don't want to see dogs coming back time and again into the rescue or shelter system, and that does happen quite a bit.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
lpp06
Puppy
Puppy
lpp06

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 3:24 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Lordbroll wrote:

Agreed. Yes, there are rescues out there that can be difficult to work with, but as Brian said they are looking out for the welfare of the Animal. I would strongly disagree with anyone who says all or even most rescues are impossible and/or too picky. Speaking as someone who does work with rescues, and there are several of us on here, we really do try to work with people if we think they will be a good home. We just don't want to see dogs coming back time and again into the rescue or shelter system, and that does happen quite a bit.

I definitely agree with this. I think that as members of this forum we're in a bit of a bubble. We're the ones that would never bring a dog back, we're the ones that would provide amazing homes for rescues. So it's hard for us to see how we'd be viewed as having unfit homes. The unfortunate truth is that we're in the minority and that there are a lot of people trying to rescue animals who simply shouldn't be.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 4:19 pm

I feel an unfortunate amount of rescues are far too impersonal and unless you have an "in"... many good homes are turned away due to blanket policies and biased volunteers.

Quote :
If you don't sell yourself as a good home your chances are slim.

How are you supposed to sell yourself to anyone if all they're willing to look at is facts such as: fence height, work responsibilities, and if you've had a Husky before?

The issue is with personal relations between rescues and potential adopters. If there is no communication- there's no chance.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 4:55 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Lordbroll wrote:

Also agreed!
If you can understand this: we interview the best we can, but we do run into those applicants that say all the right things. We even tell them all the quirks of the husky we place in the home. But when the family calls a couple of days later saying the husky jumped the 5 ft fence and is now missing, it's even a bigger stress on the rescue to go find it and catch it. If you can imagine this happening not once, but SEVERAL times, I think you would be reluctant to adopt to a home that has a short fence or that looks less than ideal.

Rescues do try, but will get caught up on 'certain requirements' but I hope you understand WHY rescues can get caught up in that.

It's not easy knowing when an application is a good home. Even the ones that look like strong applications can be deceiving. But we do the best we can for the welfare of the animal.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Here's what I will say on the topic.

For a first-time husky owner family, I most certainly agree that requirements should be strict and I can understand how rescues would be VERY pick on who they let adopt. I can even understand them turning away some very good potential homes because they couldn't be sure.

However, I had not one, not two, but THREE (might have even been four) rescues deny me and John after over a YEAR of owning Koda because I didn't have a fenced-in yard or because we were too far (even though we were willing to drive, come meet them, provide references, etc). THAT is something I don't understand. I have a teenage husky (he was at the time)...and I wanted another and THREE rescues turned me away. I even told them that I ran this forum... nope. Still didn't matter.

So, I think there are two sides to the coin here and I think in actuality, we struggle to find a balance.

Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 5:59 pm

I agree with tori. Very frusterating. That's why I got Kale the way that I did. I got denied from 2 german shepherd rescues (I sounded to young on the phone, I was 21. And the other one didn't feel like driving 30 mins to do a home check. She referred me to the pound for christs sake) and I didn't own my home for the local husky rescue, I live with my parents, even though they approved, the dog was going to be under my name and to them I was "homeless". So I got a BYB puppy. I feel terrible for doing it, but I also saved him from certain doom so I guess I lucked out. But yea, the rescue system needs to be a tad my flexible and they need to get rid of the lazy people. If you don't feel like driving to do home inspections, then don't volunteer to do that job. I could have given one of their shepherds a great home. Rant over. Lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Tori - if I came across your application, I would adopt to you! Smile

But I do agree that there is a struggle to find a balance. I struggle with that in the rescue I volunteer for to the point that I'm so emotionally and mentally drained that I have taken a step back for the time being. It was difficult to come to that decision, but I had to if I wanted to go back at some point after the new year to continue. Otherwise, I would have quit altogether.

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 6:10 pm

Those that are critical should try volunteering to get the full picture. Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 85993
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 6:27 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
Those that are critical should try volunteering to get the full picture. Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 85993

I would. But the only rescue that's near me is a German shepherd rescue, and they wouldn't let me anyway because I don't have a shepherd. Which is my point. It may be different where you live, but here in Cali, everything has to be "politically correct". And I can't foster because I can't afford to move out on my own right now. That's my full picture.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 6:37 pm

I volunteered for 5 years... I can still see the issues within rescues. I understand "guidelines," but things are not black and white.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 7:11 pm

FYI: I'm going to lock this thread if people don't stop negative treating for comments that are opinions.

TREATS ARE NOT A LIKE OR DISLIKE BUTTON.

Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Lordbroll wrote:

Brian I think it's naive to think those who have differing opinions don't volunteer or give time. I have probably spent close to $600 out of pocket on various foster dogs which I have independently pulled, fostered, and vetted.

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 8:49 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Lordbroll wrote:

Brian I think it's naive to think those who have differing opinions don't volunteer or give time. I have probably spent close to $600 out of pocket on various foster dogs which I have independently pulled, fostered, and vetted.

I know you have rescued/fostered and found homes for many dogs, but is this completely on your own or was it under a rescue or shelter that is owned and run by someone else?

Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 8:49 pm

cmanding wrote:
arooroomom wrote:
Lordbroll wrote:

I know you have rescued/fostered and found homes for many dogs, but is this completely on your own or was it under a rescue or shelter that is owned and run by someone else?

Completely independent. I have my own contract and application as well.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist Huskies   Craigslist Huskies - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Craigslist Huskies

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 12 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Next