It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hello from Greenville, SC

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

Male Join date : 2012-03-28

Hello from Greenville, SC - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Greenville, SC   Hello from Greenville, SC - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 10:30 am

? Demon is 60 lbs and Xena is 45... They both have champions in their lines also..They are way down the line and none of them have had any eye or hip problems..

What doesn't fit the standard?? Why do you question whether or not the breeder checks hips or eyes? I spent 6 months looking for a breeder and I was on this site for 2 before I found one. The breeder also has vet records of both dogs since they were puppies.

Back to top Go down
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Greenville, SC   Hello from Greenville, SC - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 10:32 am

Also, Xena is prego in that one picture if thats where you are getting the "questioning from seeing the pictures"

I'm confused lol...
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Greenville, SC   Hello from Greenville, SC - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 10:53 am

The main thing I noticed was that their tails curl a lot, but those pictures aren't the best to see how they are actually structured. FYI, champions in a pedigree, unless they are very recent like the parents and grandparents, doesn't mean much at all. Two champions can be bred and produce pet quality and show quality puppies. You have a much better shot at getting a show quality puppy from show quality adults, but it doesn't mean every puppy will be show quality. Seems like a lot of pet quality puppies went to homes that weren't interested in further showing or looking to stay as close to the standard as possible and ended up getting bred and their puppies bred. A nice show line can be ruined in only a couple generations. I really hate it when people like to show off that their dogs they are breeding have champions in their line 4, 5, 6 etc generations back. They obviously think showing is a bragging point, but choose to not do it themselves and actually prove their own dog's worth.

I would hope everyone would have vet records for their pets, but that's not the same as health tests. You are best finding a breeder who takes their adults in to get their hips x-rayed and eyes checked (not by a normal vet, but one trained to look for eye anomalies). Your breeder should be able to give you the adult's OFA and CERF numbers or scores. I also think it would be best if sibe breeders checked hearts and thyroids too, but few do.

I understand if you've already fallen in love with a puppy and I know that it is nearly impossible to change your mind about it, but I just want to educate anyone I can able the difference between reputable and non-reputable breeders. I personally did buy from a non-reputable breeder who doesn't show or work her dogs, doesn't health check, and pretty much breeds to make money. Now I love my Siku, but to this day I regret giving that lady any money and further supporting her breeding. Thankfully, other than Siku being full of worms as a puppy, she hasn't shown any problems, but I know there are others on here who bought from breeders who don't health test and they now have dogs with hip, elbow, and eye problems that will haunt the dogs for the rest of their lives. I just don't see how it is far to the new owner or the dogs to breed dogs who you don't know if their likely to pass on a genetic problem or not.

Hello from Greenville, SC - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Greenville, SC   Hello from Greenville, SC - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 11:05 am

Oh cool didn't know Xena's tail curled too much guess she isn't perfect like all the reputable huskies. Put your mind at ease though! I did look at the link you so kindly provided to me before I selected a breeder that I spent 6 months trying to find.

On the reals though thanks for trying to be helpful but I did my homework promise. If it's not good enough then at least I'm stopping the bad breeding a little by taking one of the puppies and spaying her eh. Dunno why your so convinced that the breeder I chose is bad. Also I'm not an idiot lol nor do I like being patronized by someone with so little information about my situation. If you wanna make a post about bad breeders then just do it lol don't jump on me for no reason... Anyyyyyways not gonna continue this convo anymore so post your reply and I'm dropping it. Just on the site for the pics and info. on things that might arise, not to argue about stupid stuff that is irrelevant to me.(Opinions about my breeder and dog.. not my breeder selection which was very relevant to me Smile )
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Greenville, SC   Hello from Greenville, SC - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 11:23 am

I think Sara is just trying to spread knowledge about choosing a reputable breeder. She didn't come off as attacking or rude, just trying to explain what she knows and works with. We all have rescues here who were most likely from a non reputable breeder and a good amount of them have medical issues in one form or another. No one wants to see it happen, that's all.

Congratulations on your puppy.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Greenville, SC   Hello from Greenville, SC - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 11:26 am

Okay, sorry Sara guess I overreacted. Just really did spend a lot of time finding a good one and I have been up all night studying(no sleep can make anyone bitchy/asshole)
Thanks Kristina and sorry again Sara!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Greenville, SC   Hello from Greenville, SC - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 11:48 am

That's fine. I totally understand. I only pointed out the tail thing, cause that's usually a good give away, but their tails really aren't that bad. Heck look at my Siku. She doesn't fit the standard, too tall, tail too curled to one side, back could be straighter, etc, but I still love her to death! My main issue is health testing, not really looks. Hopefully since yours do have champions in its background, those dogs were tested and there's less likely that your puppy will end up with any issues. Siku's mother's side has some good dogs in it, so fingers crossed she never develops anything. Hip dysplasia was a big issue with even reputable breeders, but now that they've started x-raying hips, siberians that are tested are one of the least affected breeds nowadays! Just shows what good health testing can achieve! Now if only they can figure out juvenile cataracts better.

I am happy that the parents are huge like you see a lot of breeders breeding. It's so annoying when almost everyone I see in public think a siberian is supposed to be huge like a malamute or wolf! The parents really don't look that bad at all. I just have the mentality that pretty much anyone new looking for a puppy probably is getting one from a not so great breeder, simply because I've seen it happen over and over again and there are soooooo many bad breeders out there. I'm sorry that I offended you.

I'm sure you are so excited to bring your puppy home. Now is a good time to start looking in your area for a good puppy class. Look for one that has puppy play time in it. It's a great way to socialize your puppy with other puppies and new people. You learn a lot at class, but the main reason I like puppy class so much is for the socialization. If you're interested, find Another Piece of the Puzzle: Puppy Development. There's a lot of good tips on socializing puppies in it. Like don't wait too long to start, but don't bring an un-vaccinated puppy to places like a dog park where other un-vaccinated dogs might be or have been. Places like hardware stores that allow dogs are great. When the puppy is really young, just put it in the shopping cart! You'll draw so much attention! lol. And if you have a friend with a well behaved dog or a puppy, play dates are way fun. One of Siku's best friends is a vizsla that we met at puppy class. We set up play dates at the vizsla's house a few times and now over a year later, any time they see each other at the dog park, they go off playing with one another. Trust me, putting in the work while your puppy is still a puppy really pays off in the long run! They retain so much they learn in the first 16 weeks of life!

Hello from Greenville, SC - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Greenville, SC   Hello from Greenville, SC - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 11:57 am

I'm excited to start the experience of husky ownership! Very Happy I can't wait to share it with all you guys either!
Back to top Go down
KLR2011
Newborn
Newborn
KLR2011

Male Join date : 2012-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Greenville, SC   Hello from Greenville, SC - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 10:56 pm

Hello! and Welcome!! The parents of your pup look beautiful and healthy, Im sure you will have your hands full when your new lil family member arrives lol GOOD LUCK! Cool
Back to top Go down
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Greenville, SC   Hello from Greenville, SC - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 11:23 pm

Thanks Kris I can't wait to have my hands full and I already have a lot of pictures taken if you want to go look at some I made her a scrapbook already Smile

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t4639-zoe-the-huskynew-pictures5-21-2012
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Greenville, SC   Hello from Greenville, SC - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from Greenville, SC

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-