It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Rattle snake season ugh.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

Rattle snake season ugh.  Empty
PostSubject: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  EmptyFri May 18, 2012 9:10 am

So its summer and time for all the rattle snakes to come out from the field behind my house to hang out... I heard its rare for a larger dog to die from a bite... I am curious if anyone has experience with them, I would be shocked if kiara has not been bit yet. But I don't know what the symptoms would be if any, she pounces on literally anything that moves and we have rattlers that hang out in the open, I've always been paranoid about it. Caught my min pin barking at one at night when I was in the spa and I was like wtf is he doing? I took my phone and put the light near the ground to see what it was and it was a baby rattle snake snapping at me, I nearly shat myself. I know babies are the worst to get bit by as well cause they just let as much venom out as possible when older snakes will limit the venom.
Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

Female Join date : 2012-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  EmptyFri May 18, 2012 9:18 am

Apparently there is a rattlesnake vaccine? Cool!

Anyway here's what google dug up about the issue:
Quote :
What You Should Know About Rattlesnake Bites, Your Dog, and Vaccination

Colorado is a rattlesnake habitat and there is a reasonable risk for dogs to be bitten by a rattlesnake in the warmer months and/or warm times of the day, when they are most active. Every year, we see dogs that have been bitten within a ten mile radius of our facility.

Rattlesnakes often take up residence around rock outcroppings, in prairie dog holes, grassy areas, and even residential yards, driveways, garages, and sheds. They are also found along wetlands, desert terrain, and forests.

They often strike without warning, and their bite can be very painful and is often fatal. In some cases, the dog may survive but have a permanent injury due to the toxicity of the venom.

Survival of a rattlesnake bite depends on many variables, including how quickly the dog receives emergency care, the amount of venom the dog received through the bite, the potency of the venom, the body part affected, the age and size of the rattlesnake, the age and size of the dog, and whether the dog was vaccinated.

Symptoms Of A Bite

Rattlesnake venom is a complex mixture of toxins that spread throughout the body after a bite, causing necrosis of body tissue, neurological damage, and organ failure.

While symptoms of a bite can vary, the most common signs are pain and swelling at the site where the bite occurred -- usually two fang marks will be visible and in extreme cases, the tissue surrounding the fang marks will turn black within the first 30 minutes. Other symptoms can soon follow, including hyper-salivation, vomiting, weakness, difficulty breathing, panting, high body temperature, rapid heart beat, paralysis, shock, and loss of consciousness.

If you suspect your dog has been bitten by a rattlesnake, whether it has any of these symptoms or not, seek medical care immediately. A rattlesnake bite is always an emergency.

Do not waste time attempting to suck out the venom or chase down the snake. The sooner your dog receives professional medical care, the better its chances for survival. We recommend that you call your veterinarian while en route to the veterinary facility, so the medical team will have time to prepare for your dog's arrival.

How We Treat Them

Treatment of a rattlesnake bite may include several things, but the most common course is to administer intravenous fluids and anti-venin upon the dog's arrival. Pain medications may also be given. In extreme cases, hospitalization and/or surgery may be required.

Treating a rattlesnake bite can also be very expensive. An anti-venin injection at our facility costs $800.00, and when added to the other costs for IV fluids, medications, surgery, and hospitalization, it can end up being $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 or more.

Preventing a bite from occuring is always best and below are several recommendations.

Preventing Bites

You can help to prevent a rattlesnake bite by taking the following precautions:

♦ Always keep your dog on a lead no longer than six feet and at your side at all times while out on walks or runs. Dogs are, by nature, curious of their surroundings and can be bitten by a snake while sniffing behind a rock or in foliage along the side of the trail or sidewalk.

♦ Stay on open paths where there is a better opportunity for snakes to be visible. We have had reports of rattlers sunning themselves on open space trails near our facility, but because the snakes were visible, they were avoided.

♦ Always supervise your dog while outside in your yard. One of our client's dogs was bitten in Highlands Ranch while playing outside in its fenced yard.

♦ Never allow your dog to explore prairie dog holes, as rattlesnakes often live in them when they're abandoned. Two years ago, we treated a dog that had been bitten by a rattlesnake living in a prairie dog hole in a Highlands Ranch open space area.

♦ Never allow your dog to run loose unsupervised anywhere. As for dog parks, be very careful to keep a close eye on your dog at all times.

♦ If you come upon a rattlesnake or hear one, keep your dog close at your side and carefully move away.

♦ Consider having your dog vaccinated, as it will stimulate your dog's immunity to help it defend against the venomous toxins, should your dog be bitten.

More About Vaccination

For the past several years, we have offered a rattlesnake vaccine for dogs. This vaccine has also been in use for several years in California, Arizona and Nevada, where the incidence of snake bites is high. Reports from veterinarians in those states have been favorable regarding the vaccine's effectiveness in helping dogs survive a bite.

To receive the vaccine at our facility, dogs must be at least four months old and healthy, and have had a physical exam with one of our veterinarians within the past six months. One of our veterinarians must authorize the vaccination prior to it being given.

The vaccination protocol involves two or three initial doses, depending on the dog’s weight, the very first time the dog receives the vaccine. Each dose is given four weeks apart. All doses must be given for the vaccine to be effective. An annual spring booster vaccination is recommended each year, thereafter, in order to maintain the effectiveness of the vaccine, and should be given 30 days prior to the first ourtdoor exposure.

Cost of Vaccination:

For dogs 1 - 25lbs……..…$75.00 (3 initial doses required)

For dogs 26 - 99lbs…….…...$50.00 (2 initial doses required)

For dogs 100lbs. or more….$75.00 (3 initial doses required)

Cost of Annual Booster:

For all dogs......$25.00 (in the spring of each following year)

Cost With Physical Exam: Add $64.00

Other Things To Keep In Mind

Because there are so many variables involved, vaccination is not a guarantee that a dog will survive a rattlesnake bite. A bite on a major artery by a very potent young snake may not be survivable, regardless of vaccination and immediate emergency care.

It is important to note that a vaccinated dog that is bitten will still need immediate emergency care and, possibly, the administration of anti-venin. Vaccination does offer, however, a better chance to survive and recover without long-term residual effects.

Anti-Venin Supplies This Year

As of now, we have anti-venin in stock. In past years, along with several other veterinary facilities in Colorado, we've had difficulty getting it from the manufacturer due to increased demand in the southwestern states. We're hoping things will be better this year.

Regardless, preventing a snake bite from occurring by taking precautions when outdoors is always best, and vaccination is also an option you may wish to consider.

We encourage you to discuss your dog's lifestyle, health status, and vaccination needs with one of our veterinarians. They can provide you with the information you'll need in order to decide if vaccination will be a good preventive choice for your dog.

For more information or to schedule a visit, just call us at 303-708-8050.
Source: http://www.lonetreevet.com/newsletter.html
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  EmptyFri May 18, 2012 9:28 am

Snow White wrote:
Apparently there is a rattlesnake vaccine? Cool!

Yep, that's true. I've looked into it around here, and even though we are infested with rattlesnakes they don't give it in my area. They do, however, out west. Brooke could probably add quite a bit of information, she gets it for Kale. That's the one thing that really makes me nervous about hiking around here.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Rattle snake season ugh.  85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  EmptyFri May 18, 2012 9:38 am

With one or two dogs it might be worth trying. But I got a different take on it from the first aid thing I took at CSU a few years ago. The veterinarians there pushed the training over the vaccine based on their own observations. Is there a vet school near you? Not sure if they do the same level of study everywhere, but CSU has charts and data with times of day and areas of snake bites on dogs. Your problem sounds different though. We don't really get them in yards down here, they tend to occupy the east and south slopes covered in shorter plants from 5,000-10,000 feet. So far I have NEVER seen a rattlesnake by avoiding the things they had on the charts.

Oh, and from the pictures I've seen I think you would definitely know if she's been hit.

Heh, this site has a husky as their first before/after picture...
http://www.snakeproofing.com/
Back to top Go down
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  EmptyFri May 18, 2012 10:16 am

Just whatever you do don't run around trying to kill every rattlesnake you come across...that's how most people get bitten. That or trying to be "cool" and handle the snake. Even using a stick to move them is dangerous. The safest way is with a big trash can with a lid and a broom with a long handle. Sweep the snake into the trash can, put the lid on it, and transport it elsewhere to a safe place and dump it (obviously, dump it away from you, with the trash can between you and the snake). But even safer than the trash can method is just to leave the snake alone, don't go near it. Most snakes are afraid of humans, and even the ones that stand their ground only do it out of self defense, not aggression. Given the chance, most snakes would run away.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  EmptyFri May 18, 2012 10:33 am

My brother and I killed the baby w a shovel. I heard they would just come back unless you take them pretty far away. Great now I'm even more freaked out. I'll need to look into the vaccine, I am pretty sure they do it here. Does it make them basically immune or just lessen the effects of being bitten, just buy them more time from the bite?
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  EmptyFri May 18, 2012 10:34 am

I work 12-8am (kill me now) which is why I haven't researched yet and read all about it. I'm hiding in the bathroom as of now.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  EmptyFri May 18, 2012 10:41 am

Legend_of_Faolan wrote:
Given the chance, most snakes would run away.

lol! I loved that line, I can see them now lacing up their Reeboks to high tail it into the back woods.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  EmptyFri May 18, 2012 11:07 am

I dunno. Whenever u come into contact w a rattle snake they don't move. Just sit there ready to attack. I wish they would run away.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  EmptyFri May 18, 2012 11:16 am

brady.law wrote:
I dunno. Whenever u come into contact w a rattle snake they don't move. Just sit there ready to attack. I wish they would run away.
From what I understand, they don't poise to attack until they feel threatened. You likely will never know how many "run away" from you because they will do it before you can see them.

Rattle snake season ugh.  Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  EmptyFri May 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Rattle snakes do probably hold their ground more often than most but Tori is right, you've probably been near some that have run away and you just never saw them. The selection process tends to about this behavior because so many that do hold their ground tend to get killed. Just be careful around these snakes. I don't want anyone finding out too late that their strike range is wider than they first anticipated. And they do strike fast!
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  EmptyFri May 18, 2012 1:46 pm

I looked in to the vaccine here. From my research and talking with two vets and some vet techs we passed on it.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  EmptyFri May 18, 2012 2:01 pm

I don't know about every where else but in southern california there is a rattlesnake training class for k9s, We did it with Maggie and my moms border collie. It works. We oped out of the vaccination, as well.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  EmptyFri May 18, 2012 2:54 pm

The thing you have to understand about the vx is that it doesn't protect against a bite, it gives you time to get your dog to the nearest ER vet that carries rattler anti-venom. Always check the surrounding vet hospitals of where you're hiking and find out which ones carry it and which ones don't; that way if you do have and emergency, you know where to go ahead of time, instead of scrambling in the heat of the moment. Personally, I'd rather have that extra bit of time, than not. But everyone is different, and have different comfort levels with certain situations and have different training in others, therefore those experiences give them a different perspective on what they feel comfortable with and what they do not. I feel more comfortable with Kale vaccinated for it, while others feel more comfortable not vaccinating. There's no right or wrong with this type of vx, in my opinion. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  EmptyFri May 18, 2012 5:36 pm

Riley and Erica, care to explain why you passed on it? Do you think huskies instincts would alert them that a rattle snake is dangerous? Or you think they are just going to play cat and mouse w it and pounce on it. I know my min pin would bite the gardener snakes and shake them around and drop them and want to kill them but when he was confronted w a rattle snake he just barked at it, guess he's not as stupid as I think haha.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  EmptyFri May 18, 2012 6:19 pm

I 100% absolutely do not trust my pup know it's dangerous and leave it alone. Instinct would be "it moves! Play with it!"

Quick answer (at work currently): Not worth the cost - The vets/techs around here say the "vaccine" doesn't usually do much of anything to help the dog. They will sell it if the customer really wants it - but they haven't experienced much of any benefit from them yet. They did say when they have seen a benefit it's in small dogs, but my 80lb guy wouldn't have any noticeable benefit to the vaccine. This was among other things.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  EmptyFri May 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Basically what Riley said. That is what most vets told me as well. I have other dogs before and the same thing with them. Like Brooke said, it helps to get them to the vet not prevent the venom from getting into them. We had our family friends dog get bite by a rattler unexpected on a walk 3 times. They got the vaccination before the second bite, to tell you the truth he almost didn't make it all 3 times even though he had the vaccination!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rattle snake season ugh.    Rattle snake season ugh.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Rattle snake season ugh.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1