It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need help with PMR diet for puppy...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
snoori
Newborn
Newborn
snoori

Female Join date : 2012-01-08

Need help with PMR diet for puppy... Empty
PostSubject: Need help with PMR diet for puppy...   Need help with PMR diet for puppy... EmptyMon May 21, 2012 4:57 pm

So, I recently switched my puppy, Atticus(6.5 months), over to raw. He had been eating Life's Abundance mixed with THK's Embark. He was not able to eat the Life's Abundance alone...ever..or else he would get diarrhea and it would mess up his digestive tract. So, we have always had to supplement it with something for normal stools...but his digestive system would still become upset every once in a while. My boy has always had a super sensitive digestive tract, so rather than spend almost $130 a month for the food and THK Embark...I figured at that price I might as well switch him to raw! So, I started off feeding him Halshan, which is pre-made 1lb bricks that are already mixed and in gound form and for the first week he was getting 1lb a day of the turkey organ and veggies bricks and I was mixing it with his embark to transition him. He was doing great! So, after the first week, I had run out of the embark and didn't want to buy another box of it and so I switched him totally to raw. He has been eating 2lbs of the raw a day. He did great his second week completely on the raw. His stools were small and firm, and he was more energetic and seemed happier. So, the store that I had been buying my raw from also sells 5lb buckets of meat, ground raw bones and veggies for $12 and I was excited because I had been buying the 1lb bricks from Halshan for $3.99/lb! So I switched hi, to that formula, because I know they are supposed to have bone in their raw diet as well and the other 1lb bricks didn't include bones. So, he did well on the bucket of raw turkey, bones, and veggies....until recently...his poop, suddenly just turned to explosive diarrhea out of nowhere! He is still on the raw and his poop is better today then it was yesterday and I still would like to continue with the raw, because I figured his upset digestive tract could have been due to many things from the switch in raw formulas, to eating more than he should have eaten, to eating something he shouldn't have eaten off the ground etc. so, I'm monitoring it. So, now I have been reading about the prey model raw diet...and I think it would be more affordable feeding him PMR as opposed to feeding him the pre-made buckets from the natural pet store...I'm a little confused on how to get started...he has been eating turkey and has done well on the turkey, so how do I go about making a mixture of the prey model diet? Would I buy turkey and bones and organ mean? I'm sure it's pretty simple and I am over-thinking it, but he has such a sensitive digestion and I don't want to cause more digestive upset for him...I also don't know how he will do with different kinds of meat...I know he does well with turkey, but haven't tried chicken or beef or anything yet. I know he has had issues with chicken treats etc in the past, so I've been avoiding chicken. I also am not sure if I should continue to buy him ground meat and ground raw bone and organ meat or how I should go about this prey model raw diet...I looked it up online, but I am still unsure how to mix it, what type of turkey I should buy etc...please help me? Lol
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Need help with PMR diet for puppy... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need help with PMR diet for puppy...   Need help with PMR diet for puppy... EmptyMon May 21, 2012 7:03 pm

With him being so small, your bone-in turkey choices will be limited. I have a sensitive boy too and he can tolerate turkey and venison so far, that's it. He regularly gets turkey necks with his venison grounds. With a 6 month old puppy, the turkey necks may be too hard.

For PMR you "ideally" want 10% bone 10% organ and 80% meat. Are you currently feeding 2lbs a day? That may be too much. Even when rodeo was eating a lot he still stuck to about 24oz a day. Now as an adult he eats about 18-20oz depending. So I would certainly try backing down that amount.

As for what to feed... Personally I would try and get him normal on what you're currently feeding. Try backing down on the amount and get him settled. When this seem to have returned to normal try out a chicken neck. See how he takes that. Give it a day or so to get used to it. If that's ok you can try some other cuts of chicken or try another meat source. None of my dogs have ever had a problem adjusting to another meat when they were on raw. Even hypersensitive rodeo once I figured out his intolerances. You can try pork (I find the shoulder meat cut from the bone the most cost effective) or beef or whatever you can get your hands on. I use a lot of grinds from Blue Ridge Beef (see if there is a distributer in your area) and that makes things easy. I add bone in meats and organs to that as well.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down

Need help with PMR diet for puppy...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1