It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Doesn't know his name?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
haleyh_08
Puppy
Puppy
haleyh_08

Female Join date : 2009-12-18

Doesn't know his name? Empty
PostSubject: Doesn't know his name?   Doesn't know his name? EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 3:22 am

Well, we've had Kodi for almost 3 months. Since he was about 6 weeks old, and he still doesn't come when you call his name. Before we got him, the breeder just called him puppy, along with his other brother and sisters. And when my dad brought him home, he told everyone to continuously call him Kodi, so he would understand that its his name. When we taught him how to sit and speak and all that jazz, when would say, "Kodi sit" or "Kodi speak".. Are we doing something wrong, or does anyone know anyway to make him understand?

Maybe he's just sloww... im not real sure
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/haleyh_08
Jen
Puppy
Puppy
Jen

Female Join date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Doesn't know his name?   Doesn't know his name? EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 5:13 am

First, I would not teach your dog to associate come with his name. They should be 2 separate commands. I feel like the name should be a watch me type thing, or incoming command. An example of why you don't want your pup to associate his name with come is, lets say your dog gets out. You find him across the street, and there are cars all around. You call his name. Do you really want him charging across the street toward you or do you want him to just turn and look at you? I would want him to turn and look at me, my next command would be sit or down. And then stay until I could get across the street to get him.

My dogs have always just picked up on there name, but in the training classes we went to the trainer recommended for others that you say the dogs name, and when they look at you treat. Don't have them come to you, because again you don't want the name associated with come. On you walks, periodically say the dogs name, and when he looks up at you give a treat.
Back to top Go down
haleyh_08
Puppy
Puppy
haleyh_08

PostSubject: Re: Doesn't know his name?   Doesn't know his name? EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 12:19 pm

Wow, I never thought of it that way. That makes alot of sense. And the treat idea helps out alot. I also never thought out that. Thank goodness for this forum (:

And thanks so much for your input, ill try that and see how things work out.
Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

Male Join date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Doesn't know his name?   Doesn't know his name? EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 3:50 pm

...or he could be channeling his inner husky and using his selective hearing. Sitka knows his name... he just chooses when he wants to hear it.

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
myndsplyntur
Puppy
Puppy
myndsplyntur

Female Join date : 2009-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Doesn't know his name?   Doesn't know his name? EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 4:01 pm

We changed Roxy's name when we adopted her from the shelter, and she was just about a year old then... they were calling her Delta, who knows what her name was before... she definitely knows her name, but does have selective hearing, lol... so there's a good chance that could be what you're dealing with.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Doesn't know his name?   Doesn't know his name? EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 4:17 pm

I wish I could help out more but I have not had to deal puppies for a long time let alone husky pup. I do know that when we adopted Jack he was being called Nanook and he was not paying any attention to that name, on the car ride home we just kept saying different names and then we both liked Jack and we said it a few times and he just caught on to it right away. he was about 1.5yrs old. so i think you just need to keep calling his name to get his attation and reward him when he looks at you after calling his name. you also said you have another pup, does that one know its name yet?
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Doesn't know his name?   Doesn't know his name? EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 5:54 pm

¿Do you sing songs to him regularly? I swear that's how these dogs have learned their names. Name recognition just kind of happened five times for me. Not sure I could even put into words.
Back to top Go down
haleyh_08
Puppy
Puppy
haleyh_08

PostSubject: Re: Doesn't know his name?   Doesn't know his name? EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 6:11 pm

well, my dad sings to him. when he does something stupid. he calls him. possumkittyhorsegoose.
because he looks like a possum, acts like a cat. pees like a horse, and poops like a goose.
other than that, no we dont really sing to him

and yes, bailee understands her name very well and shes about a month younger than kodi and we havent had her but a month. she comes to bailee and little girl both. so idk.

may selective hearing is his problem. but he understands what no and all his other commands means.

my dad says maybe we should change his name since he's not listening to that one, but i think that will just confuse him.

im going to try the treat thing for sure and see how that works.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Doesn't know his name?   Doesn't know his name? EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 12:49 pm

So is Kodi getting his name yet?
Back to top Go down
harmonytime
Acoustic Howler
harmonytime

PostSubject: Re: Doesn't know his name?   Doesn't know his name? EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 5:53 pm

LOL I don't have a solution - Evo picked up on his name pretty quickly - well, that is, we called him Coda and the kitten's name was Evo...we found that the dog came when we were talking to the cat and vice versa - so we switched the names. Now we can't imagine Evo as anything other and Coda as anything other than the cat... But the PossumKittyHorseGoose just cracked me up!

So how is the name recognition working for you?
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Doesn't know his name?   Doesn't know his name? EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 10:16 pm

I sing our dog's names all the time. The KNOW their names. However, I agree that the Husky DOES have this selective hearing thing they use. A lot of times, for me anyway, it is the tone. If I am sweet-talking one, all hear and come. If I am using just the opposite, NO ONE knows ANY name! LOL!
Back to top Go down
mcdlabs
Puppy
Puppy
mcdlabs

Male Join date : 2010-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Doesn't know his name?   Doesn't know his name? EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 1:28 am

we incorporated their names in with clicker training them when ours first came home at 6 weeks ( their 12 weeks old now) KiKi (short for Kiki tagaru which means curious) knows her name just sometimes chooses not to listen. Keira I'm not so sure about but she comes better than Kiki anyway.

Basically it was Kiki , when she looked "click" and gave a treat. Now we of course don't reward for just looking our way, now they have to sit, shake, down, and roll over (which is funny as it results in some "I am not rolling pover for a little morsal of food" attitude from Kiki)

The only problem now is they get so excited they don't stop at the right times, keira will down and instantly roll over and think she deserves a reward, when she doesn;t get it she literally will start doing back flips and then just get flustered so we end on something easy like sit/ shake.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mcdlabs.com/BWS
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Doesn't know his name?   Doesn't know his name? EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 9:56 am

Yup- Koda does that too but it comes from doing the same training sequence every time. You have to mix it up a little and do different tricks. Don't always start with the same ones, skip some, etc. Smile

Doesn't know his name? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
mcdlabs
Puppy
Puppy
mcdlabs

Male Join date : 2010-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Doesn't know his name?   Doesn't know his name? EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 12:20 pm

yeah , thats when the frustration sets in, You can't help but start laughing at them, Kiki Sit eventually starts resulting in a spin, a few barks, a jump up at the treat, and eventually her circling me trying to find a weak spot to get to it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mcdlabs.com/BWS
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doesn't know his name?   Doesn't know his name? Empty

Back to top Go down

Doesn't know his name?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1