It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help training a three month old puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

Help training a three month old puppy Empty
PostSubject: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 9:40 pm

Saya is three months old. We live in NY so now it is pretty hot. She sleeps most of the day. I walk her early in the morning and play with her in the park for about 45 minutes. then she receives 2 short walks in the afternoon just so she can do her business. Lastly at around 9 when the night is out I take her for a long walk, about an hour or so, we run for only like 5 minutes at night time. Well I want to know if I should walk her for longer or not? Also saya is partially potty trained but she still pees in the house I guess she can not hold it for too long. She never pees while in the room but as soon as she gets out she goes to the bathroom and pees there. How can I potty train her. that way she never pees inside.
Also I'm trying to teach her how to heel, currently she bites on the leash while we are walking and she is starting to pick up the habit of biting my jeans while walking. What kind of collar should I use for her and how do I teach her to heel. She has learned 3 commands so far, Down, Sit, and Paw, but she only obeys inside the house when we are outside she listens when she wants to, How can I succeed at training my puppy

One last thing what kind of exercises can I do with her once she is older, since I only own her I won't be Mushing or anything, any exercise ideas will be deeply appreciated Very Happy

P.s Saya is my first dog ever, everybody told me that they were not beginners pet but to be quite honest I actually enjoy having her and although she is stubborn I don't see why people say they are such a difficult breed
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 9:48 pm

Welcome to the forum!

To answer your questions, a good rule of thumb for walking puppies is 5 minutes per month of age. So, right now Saya shouldn't be walking for more than about 15 minutes at a time. Also, since it is so hot, be really careful walking on pavement because it could burn her paws. She is also WAY too young to be running on pavement, it could damage her growing joints. Running around in the yard is perfectly fine, but wait til she's 10-12 months before you really let her run on a hard surface.

For the potty training, just like with walking she can only hold it for a certain amount of time. It's about an hour per month, though I found when Ghost was really little we were taking her out sometimes every 15-30 minutes. We've had really good success with bell training, you might want to look into that. Basically, every time she wakes up, eats, plays, drinks, etc, she should go out. Plus, have a special potty training treat that is SUPER high value, and throw her a party every time she potties outside. That will really help as well.

Finally, look into enrolling in a formal training class. Since you don't have a whole lot of dog experience, you both will take away a lot from the class and it wil be good for Saya's socialization.

Good luck, puppyhood can be a real rollercoaster with these guys Razz

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Help training a three month old puppy 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Thanks for your reply, just to clarify I dont run with her on the pavement, I take her to a park around my house since we live in a big apartment but have no yard, and she runs there on the grass. And I guess I shall walk with her less, I walked with her as much because she seemed to be disinterested in playing with toys, I bought her a kong and stuffed it with treats but I guess retrieving them were too hard because she gave up on it. Since I heard they loved running I let her free run in the park in the morning when it isnt so hot
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Running free in the park is fine, since the ground is soft enough that it won't hurt her. What kinds of treats are you putting in the Kong? Ghost *loves* a mixture of pumpkin and yogurt in hers. I'll do a 1 for 1 mixture of canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling, too many additives), plain or plain greek yogurt, and I'll cap the ends with a little peanutbutter. I toss them in the freezer for a while, and when they're ready will buy you at least 30-45 minutes of peace while she works on it. Plus the pumpkin and yogurt are really good for her digestive system.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Help training a three month old puppy 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 10:02 pm

I bought the Kong Stuff'n treats I do have some peanut butter and some pumpkin I will give it a try later on, Saya sleeps alot throughout the day, I'm wondering is this normal, she has been sleeping less than before but she still does, Also besides the running what kind of exercises can I do with her to tire her out since they say a tire husky is a good husky
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Play around in the park, and then mental stimulation is really good. She probably won't have the attention span to go for more than 5 minutes or so at a time on training, but treat puzzles are really good too.

Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 10:35 pm

Hmmm I'm quite baffled with the mental stimulation thing, what do you mean by it?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 10:41 pm

Training, games, anything that makes them use their little minds.

Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 10:43 pm

Haha the Kong does but she is still unable to retrieve the treats
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Sleeping a lot is normal. Just like human babies Smile It will get less and less as she gets older.
Back to top Go down
prtlad999
Newborn
Newborn
prtlad999

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 11:30 pm

Hi!
My Noah slept alot when we first got him and I was worried until my aunt..who raised huskies says it's normal.. they are like babies.. I felt better.. He is 7mos now and I walk him at 5:30 or 6 also cause of the heat.. and a couple times during the day I take him out to do his business.. He is sleepin more right now too..I think he is just bored.. I throw his tennis balls or his toys from room to room and chase him around the apartment.. and try to teach him tricks just to give him a little something to do...
When I first got him at three months he would only go as far as the corner of my house and would plop his butt down and wouldn't go anymore..the vet said it's normal.. it takes time.. now he will walk for hours.. He is also my first dog..so.. You should corner the vet and ask as many questions as you need to.. some of them are like regular doctors.. they don't wanna take the time.. so force them to help..
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 11:51 pm

My puppy does the same thing. When I'm walking her if she sees the building she rushes inside towards it its like she loves being in here. I take her to the park and play with her for a while. She seems to be bored at home aswell. She doesnt pay much attention to her toys. I pet her and tickle every now and then. Hopefully when the winter gets here she becomes motivated to go out and have some fun
Back to top Go down
prtlad999
Newborn
Newborn
prtlad999

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:01 am

yes.. when Iwalk him..I only go like a block at a time and stop by mouse house..give him water and if he wants to stop..he will run right up the stairs..if not we go right on walkin.. she is still little..give her time..soon she will be draggin you all over Laughing Noah loves his toys for a few days and then..time to get new ones.. cause he is bored or he is eating them! or he is terrorizin my cats... I can't wait til winter..I love to walk in the snow!! He also has kong toys.. I just put peanut butter in it..he sits there for a while til he gets it all out...
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:03 am

Which kong toy do you have haha the one I have seems to be unproductive she does not go for the treats at all lol
Back to top Go down
prtlad999
Newborn
Newborn
prtlad999

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:08 am

I have a medium blue one... and a small black one..... its kinda like a fat cone shape.. smaller on the top..bigger on the bottom.. and also a red one thats kinda like a stick with grooves on the side and a hole through the top to the bottom.. yes..we have lotsa toys.. he chewed through his favorite rope toy and i wasn't happy to see it in his poop.. he has lotsa balls and squeeky toys too..but she needs hard toys cause her teeth r gonna come out soon
Back to top Go down
prtlad999
Newborn
Newborn
prtlad999

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:10 am

maybe she doesn't like the treats
..try others.. blue buffalo ttreats are good also any kinda little bone that has good ingredients.. put that in there.. she needs to chew on something..or it will be all of your stuff Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:35 am

Welcome!

Good advice here! Just some of my thoughts to add: Mental stimulation can be hiding a treat in one room while having her sit and wait in another. Then call "come" for her to try to find it. This is great for learning "sit", "wait" and "come" and just for having fun together! We have also taken 3 bathroom sized disposable cups and hid a treat under one, then we do the whole circus act / slight of hand rotation of the cups and then let her choose which cup has the treat under it. Another game my kids would play with our guy was a chase game where they would roar and try to touch his butt while he ran. I thought it was a rather weird, scary game and was going to mess with his little mind, but he LOVED it and still does. They now play that mostly outside since he is bigger.

Zukes makes a yummy (for dogs) training treat. I think most of our dogs on this forum who have tried Zukes love them. They are good to use for rewards for pottying and walking. Another idea to keep her attention and stop her from biting her leash and your jeans is to hold a cheese stick (frozen lasts longer) down at your side for her to nibble and keep her in the heel position. You would be praising and telling her "heel" and "good girl" all the time she nibbles. This may or may not work long term... it does, however, allow her to get exercise and not be learning bad habits!

I would either buy her a harness or continue to use her regular buckle collar for walking. If she pulls until she gags or coughs using her regular collar, you should consider a harness for sure. I think she is too young to be using a training collar or any sort. The negative thing about the harness is that you will surely have to buy another before she is full grown. That can get expensive...

I second the idea of you enrolling in a puppy school as soon as you are able. You will learn SO much and so will Saya! Enjoy her!!
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:45 am

Thank you all for the advices, joining this forum has really helped me with saya, like I said earlier although most people say they are not beginners pet I actually find them to be pretty entertaining and love handling them. I will try the cheese stick thing. Haha I just put some peanut butter on her kong toy and she licked it clean. Is there a limit as to how much peanut butter I can give her per day
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:47 am

I wouldn't give her much, it's pretty fatty. When you get a chance get the yogurt and pumpkin, it's better for them and you can give more. A tablespoon or so per day of peanut butter should be ok though.

Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:53 am

I sometimes mix yogurt, pumpkin AND the tablespoon of peanut butter! You can really smell the peanutty smell and yet not have all the fat nor make them super thirsty. (I will leave Sabaka in his crate a few hours during the day with a stuffed Kong to entertain him. I never leave water in his crate, so I would feel bad if the peanut butter made him thirsty!)
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:55 am

I didnt stuff the pmpkin inside because of the fact that she seems to give up pretty fast on it she is not able to retrieve things haha she gives up after like 30 seconds with the peanut butter it is different she actually tries
Back to top Go down
prtlad999
Newborn
Newborn
prtlad999

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 9:48 am

Hi SabakaMom,
Sabaka is beautifu! How old? Naoh was on a harness when we brought it home..but boy! He pulled me! I put him on a regular collar.. and he did pull at first..then he stopped..so now I have three harnesses..wasted money! Live and learn... Naoh likes to nip my boyfriend..do you have any suggestions to make him stop.. cause whatever we do ..he doesn't listen..but he doesn't nip at anyone else though... he loves my boyfriend...Lots!!!!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 10:05 am

We use the easy walk harness with my dogs for walking especially with Kerian ( she needs more leash training it appears. ) Blaze will walk just fine with a collar I just use the harness when I would walk both of them.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14142&cmpid=01csegb&ref=3312&subref=AA&CAWELAID=525362393&cagpspn=pla

The above is a link to the easy walk harness.
Back to top Go down
Callicocat
Puppy
Puppy
Callicocat

Female Join date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 5:34 pm

Another good game to play with Saya that my puppy enjoys is, get an empty plastic bottle clean it out take the cap and label off and put some kibble or treats in there. Rue runs around like mad trying to get stuff out of there. It's rewarding and stimulating mentally, it can however get really loud if you have hardwood floors.

Rue also really likes frozen socks, I took some old socks soaked them in water (or you can do chicken broth) tight it in a knot or several knots and freeze it. It's a good summer treat and good when they are teething.

I would also recommend teaching attention or eyes, it has helped Rue listen to me more when we are outside. It gets them to make eye contact with you and that way their attention is on you. I started teaching it to him at home and we are slowly learning it in other noisier places.

Good luck with Saya Smile
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 6:06 pm

prtlad999 wrote:
Hi SabakaMom,
Sabaka is beautifu! How old? Naoh was on a harness when we brought it home..but boy! He pulled me! I put him on a regular collar.. and he did pull at first..then he stopped..so now I have three harnesses..wasted money! Live and learn... Naoh likes to nip my boyfriend..do you have any suggestions to make him stop.. cause whatever we do ..he doesn't listen..but he doesn't nip at anyone else though... he loves my boyfriend...Lots!!!!

Thank you!! Sabaka is 18 months old. We were always afraid the harness would cause Sabaka to pull because, evidently, it presses on their chest and triggers a desire to pull. That didn't happen for us! He loved his harness and walks much better with it. I (my hubby does not) still use a pinch collar when I take him out in public because he just doesn't behave like he should yet... Rolling Eyes I would never use a pinch collar or a head halter or anything like that on a very young puppy. Not that the device will hurt them physically, but rather mentally.

I think the nipping is probably an excited "I want to play" thing. I would guess that he's still nipping your boyfriend because your boyfriend LETS him. Laughing Sabaka plays differently with everyone in the family. He knows what is allowed depending on who he plays with. He has started nibbling my youngest son's shoulder (like he's biting fleas) because my son will roll on his belly in the midst of playing. I guess Sabaka does it to ask him to play more. They are smart dogs!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help training a three month old puppy   Help training a three month old puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

Help training a three month old puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next