It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy bites every new person he meets!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hadesthehusky
Newborn
Newborn
hadesthehusky

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

Puppy bites every new person he meets!! Empty
PostSubject: Puppy bites every new person he meets!!   Puppy bites every new person he meets!! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 4:58 pm

Our 3 month old husky has been biting everyone! Yesterday we took him to Victoria Gardens(an outdoor mall where there is a lot of people) and a lot of people were coming up to him to pet him. They would approach him slow by letting him smell their hand first but sometimes he just barks at them after smelling their hand for a few seconds and sometimes once they pet him, he just jumps and bites them(playfully)! What do we do?

We take him on walks all the time and socialize him with other dogs 3-4 times a week by taking him to dog parks, public parks, etc, etc. He gets plenty of exercise and has plenty of things to chew on that we give to him when hes biting but we don't know what else to do..
Back to top Go down
lovelyred
Newborn
Newborn
lovelyred

Female Join date : 2012-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Puppy bites every new person he meets!!   Puppy bites every new person he meets!! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 5:40 pm

I just give my boy a little flick on the nose every time he nibbles or chews on people Razz
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Puppy bites every new person he meets!!   Puppy bites every new person he meets!! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 8:14 pm

lovelyred wrote:
I just give my boy a little flick on the nose every time he nibbles or chews on people Razz

I used to this until someone on this forum told me it would create a hand shy dog. Thus, I no longer recommend it. For Delilah, simply ignoring her would work, but with Cato it wasn't that easy. I, like Brooke, have to lightly grab his muzzle and give a firm NO. He no longer does this and it doesn't hurt him. Normally, I wouldn't advocate negative reinforcement, but with Cato nothing else would work.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Puppy bites every new person he meets!!   Puppy bites every new person he meets!! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 8:29 pm

It won't create a hand shy dog if you come at them from behind their peripheral field of view.

Another option is to poke 'em at the back of the last rib. But the dog WILL snap back reflexively in response.

Honestly, based on the dog pictured in your avatar i would simply have him leashed and stand on it so he doesn't have enough room to move. Just enough leash to sit. That way there's nothing but a solid hit at the end of it every time he jumps or moves forward. He'll get the point soon enough.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Puppy bites every new person he meets!!   Puppy bites every new person he meets!! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 8:37 pm

harrise wrote:
It won't create a hand shy dog if you come at them from behind their peripheral field of view.

Another option is to poke 'em at the back of the last rib. But the dog WILL snap back reflexively in response.

Honestly, based on the dog pictured in your avatar i would simply have him leashed and stand on it so he doesn't have enough room to move. Just enough leash to sit. That way there's nothing but a solid hit at the end of it every time he jumps or moves forward. He'll get the point soon enough.

I believe the suggestion was made from Tori and she never mentioned the peripherals. Hmmm - something to think about.

Don't you support negative reinforcement? I'm not hating on it, just curious.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Puppy bites every new person he meets!!   Puppy bites every new person he meets!! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Indeed I do support it. Most of my stuff comes from Koehler, Dunbar and McConnell mixed with a bit of the celebrities Milan/Stilwell. Probably in that order. Most of the things I spout are based on my own experience with 5+ dogs at any given moment. This particular issue with the dog pictured would be treated 180 degrees from a full grown 4 year old rescue. For me.

Or like I did with Limbaugh... Use extremely high value treats like fast food chicken nuggets to make yourself more interesting than the people they encounter. This breed loves stability and a steady hand. Control every encounter and the dog will differ to you when it doesn't know what to do.

But that brings up a completely new subject about food and treats. That's not a specialty of mine.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Puppy bites every new person he meets!!   Puppy bites every new person he meets!! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 8:54 pm

I doubt many of us haven't had this happen with our puppy at some point. I have told the story of my dive biting lab many times on here lol. Balon was so much better then her, I really don't think he has ever nipped anyone thank god.

What I first tried with my lab was simply tell her no and walk away. And yep it never worked with her. The thing I found that worked best was the "settle" much like what harrise mentioned above, only when it was taught to me the dog had to lay down. Basically you step on the leash until the dog is on the ground, use your key word mine was "settle" some people say "chill". Keep the dog down until you feel it give up, (or relax). Then let the dog up again. Gradually she just stopped doing it, I swear I almost feel like it was a teething thing. It really stopped as quickly as it began, really weird.

Good luck and be patient.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Puppy bites every new person he meets!!   Puppy bites every new person he meets!! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 10:09 pm

The people that used to have Violet my Dachshund used to use the nose flick, she flinches still to this day when you reach down to pet her, even though I have never done it the 8 years we have had her. Personally, I would not recommend it.

Sounds like he is scared of all the people all at once. Maybe bringing him to such a huge stimulating area was too much for him to handle. Start with a smaller group of people and work with him, then start working up to crowds. If I were to bring Kale to a huge place with all those people when he was 3 months he would have reacted the same way. Puppy bites every new person he meets!! 2144500265
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Puppy bites every new person he meets!!   Puppy bites every new person he meets!! EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 6:40 am

He's 3 months old so he is going to nip at people in a playful way.. I don't know if its the techniques I used or the fact that mine just grew out of it but they do eventually learn not to play bite! Luka only bites me now, and thats only because he's allowed. I don't mind it when we're trying to wrestle each other to the ground (he is a very sore loser, and he never wins lol).

But back to the training...

I used a combination of holding his mouth closed with a firm no, placing my thumb under his tongue and holding onto his bottom jaw with a firm no, and what seemed to be most effective was just getting up and leaving the room, shutting the door behind me every time he bit me. They want to play, thus they don't like being left alone in the middle of playtime! They're incredibly smart and pick things up pretty quick!

Good luck Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy bites every new person he meets!!   Puppy bites every new person he meets!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy bites every new person he meets!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1