It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? Empty
PostSubject: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 7:24 am

I'll go first, my husband has always wanted a purebred husky (we have had several husky mixes from shelters) I had always wanted a lab. We got the lab first and I just love her, so I wanted to give her a friend (we've always had 2) so I went looking for another lab. My husband kept saying no I want a husky. So I agreed to look at some. I don't know why but when Balon was little he was so cute and so calm that that was it. Funny story at the breeders we found out quickly that Balon was his Momma's favorite, she was on us like nobodys business, not growling, just making sure where he was. The were others looking at puppies, but she only seemed to care where he was, so cute. I am so glad the husband made me really look at the breed. Balon is such a love and he and Ruby get along so well.

Ok, now you????
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:16 am

Exercise............. I was getting fat and didn't like it. That was back in 1985 when my 1st Husky mix wouldn't let me be a slacker when it came to daily walks. Use to have GSDs or Labs but those you could look and tell them to go lay down if you had a bad day and didn't feel like walking. Jessie, my 1st was always either insistent or gonna be a pain in the arse until he walked. I liked that in a dog and had them ever since, 27 years later I still average close to 30 miles a week though now its a bit more difficult.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 12:50 pm

I fell in love with the breed years and years ago because of how beautiful they were. Then I started reading up on the breed and how active they are and figured a Husky would be a great fit with my lifestyle and the activities I enjoy. I had to wait a long time to get one because I was single and deploying constantly, but as soon as I was engaged and in a squadron that didn't deploy, I got Ghost.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
ashleylou
Teenager
Teenager
ashleylou

Female Join date : 2012-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Growing up we always had small dogs,chihuahuas yorkies poms and min pins with the occasional golden retreiver. Each time ive always had my heart broken because we had to give them away(don't know why) but anyways I knew there was no other bond between human and dog like a husky. I already have 2 chihuahuas and they really are my babies they go everywhere with me.(literally) and now I have sapphira and she is my rock they're like my children (my pack) is what I call them. Also ive been getting more and more overweight and since ive gotten sapphira its like I'm a walkaholic lol i havnt weighed in yet but clothes are gettin a little loose! So in a way id say my dogs saved my life by far. No greater gift than them Smile
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 1:44 pm

I had been researching the breed since high school. Their history facinated me. When me and my dad were ready to start looking for another puppy after the passing of our lab, I was originally looking for a German Shepherd Dod. Then, of course, stumbled upon Kale's picture and fell in love, as did my dad. Kale ended up being my dog, and my parents are looking to get a Shepherd when I move out.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 3:04 pm

I had wanted to get a dog for a while, but had no idea what breed. I grew up with shelties and collies, but wanted to try something different. I just happened to be watching a public tv station that was showcaseing local pets for adoption at the humane society. I recognized a husky that belonged to one of my boyfriends coworkers. His relatives had dropped her off there after the guy moved to China. Apparently his family just couldn't deal with her crazy husky ways, so they kept her outside. She kept escaping, and the third time animal control caught her they didn't want het back. We both agreed we couldn't let a dog we knew sit in a shelter, so we adopted her. I knew nothing about huskies! I didn't have time to research them because we made our decision so fast. She had all the typical naughty husky issues, so I learned quickly that huskies were not like any dog I had before. She was such a sweet girl, and I still miss her so much. After she passed away, I knew that another husky was all I wanted.
Back to top Go down
Jem
Newborn
Newborn
Jem

Female Join date : 2011-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 3:42 pm

My boyfriend and I love the outdoors and we wanted a dog that we could take with us. We researched huskies and malamutes, originally deciding on getting a mal. Jason found Saber on petfinder at a local rescue and we decided to go meet him. We feel in love the moment he was brought into the room and took him home that day. It didn't take long before we decided that huskies were the breed for us.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 3:53 pm

..Some days I wonder why lol!

Anywhooo. I always loved huskies since I was a kid. I had never met one in real life, just saw them in movies and I knew that I needed one.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 3:59 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
..Some days I wonder why lol!

Anywhooo. I always loved huskies since I was a kid. I had never met one in real life, just saw them in movies and I knew that I needed one.

or three Wink
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 4:04 pm

Fun hearing all the stories! Smile

Always loved them, but did the research and found that living in an apartment and working long hours weren't conducive to having a dog, much less a husky! Even researched Klee Kai's thinking they would be more suited to an apt (haha- still same exercise requirement!).

A few years later, we bought a house and looked into shepherds, jindos and huskies. We started exercising our neighbor's hyper, crazy teenage husky after she broke her ankle. I'd come home, go get her and go for a walk. Then took her hiking a few times. Got addicted to their sweet nature and went into withdrawal after her mom's ankle healed. Smile After month's of volunteering, researching and hugging dozens of adoptable huskies we found Chili! Smile
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 4:16 pm

I have told my parents I wanted a husky for years. When I was a kid, I just thought they were pretty, but now that I am older, their independence is what wins me over. I love that my dog doesn't shy away from people and welcomes attention - even from strangers. i never have to worry about snarling and biting, like so many little dogs do. I love that Delilah and Cato love me but they don't have to be constantly attached, sure they love snuggling, but they like their space too. It's nice to have a dog that isn't scared.

But, that's not why we got Delilah. We got in a huge fight and decided to go look at puppies - we didn't find one. To make a long story short, we rescued Delilah from a Puppy Mill that was going to "dispose" of her. They were eventually shut down after MANY calls that i had to make to the police.

She won us over. And I'll never own another breed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 4:42 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
I love that my dog doesn't shy away from people and welcomes attention - even from strangers.

That's definitely one of the things we loved about huskies! Smile We love to take them everywhere with us and they are so comfortable and friendly with everyone! Smile
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 4:43 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:
I love that my dog doesn't shy away from people and welcomes attention - even from strangers.

That's definitely one of the things we loved about huskies! Smile We love to take them everywhere with us and they are so comfortable and friendly with everyone! Smile

Yeah, it bugs me that they could run off with anyone - but, it's worth it to know they are people dogs!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 4:44 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:

A win-win really. I have yet to meet a person who didn't think Keeonah (and all huskies in general) were amazingly good looking, AND huskies receive that attention well. she lightens the mood everywhere we go. Great great companion dogs Smile
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 4:47 pm

love reading all the stories!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 4:56 pm

My daughter and son-in-law got two Husky puppies on impulse (brothers from same litter) I really liked the red and white one and they gave him to me when he was nine weeks old. I was hooked. Got Skyla to keep him company and the rest is history. These dogs make me get off my lazy butt every day. Great on hikes and walks and they love camping and the beach. Gotta love their personality....goofy, mischievous, and huggable.. Love this breed. I only wish I had one sooner.
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 5:18 pm

When I was a kid, I saw a beautiful Siberian Husky walking around my neighborhood and have wanted one ever since. But knew I had to wait until I had a place of my own and was financially stable. I joined the Marine Corps and that dream got put on hold, with all the moving and deployments, we knew it just wasn't the right time. Then I got hurt and after that came a very bad patch in my life. Just about when I didn't think anything could get better Luna walked into my life. I grew up with dogs but never have a dog and myself "clicked" quite the same way Luna and I do. She just fits so well into our life, lifestyle and family. They are beautiful, lovable, energetic and just so unique I can't imagine having any other breed now!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:15 pm

I always wanted a dog as a kid and my parents would never let me have one. The closest thing I got to a dog was watching movies (Iron will & White Fang). I fell in love with Huskies early in life and I remember begging my mom every single day for one and she never let me have one.

My sister also fell in love with the breed too. We went to a local pet store to buy dog food and they happened to have a Husky puppy there. We took him out and played with him (first Husky puppy I ever came in contact with) and snapped a few pictures, texting them to my mom and she caved and a few weeks later we got Hayden from a breeder in MD.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 11:19 pm

My girls needed me. Both were destined to the pound or shelter. I was not looking for either one of them but both households needed to get rid of the dogs asap. I started to foster Cali, well you see how well that worked out don't you? Cali was pretty good once I got the bugs worked out on her. She was a pretty aggressive dog. She would growl and snap when you fed her. Come to find out, she was abused by her previous female human. They had been divorced a while b4 I got cali from the male part of the group. So after we got that, she became good. Then Mika came to me while I was walking cali. The guy wanted her to go to someone who knew the breed and he said I was the only one he knew. I told him I know OF the breed by I am no means an expert on them. Well Mika was Cali's calmer. She is a great dog now and mika is also. I couldn't be any happier 95% of the time then with these to. I do joke that they have Nam flashbacks at time which is the 5% I don't care to have these girls. But those are getting fewer and fewer.
Back to top Go down
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

Female Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 12:14 am

My boyfriend and I had finished school and were ready for a dog, so we went to the local Animal Control pound to look. All the dogs were going crazy and there was Phantom, curled up in her bed, quiet and sad. So we took her out into the pound's yard to "meet her." We threw her a ball and she responded by laying down and asking for belly rubs. We thought, what a quiet, calm, lazy dog. This is perfect for us! And we took her home the next day.

....little did we know.
Back to top Go down
ashleylou
Teenager
Teenager
ashleylou

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 12:44 am

Last edited by ashleylou on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 4:19 am

Compromise .

Kelly and I both wanted different breeds when we started talking about moving into our first house. Kelly wanted a Pit while I wanted a chow. We both had our own reasons for wanting different breeds, but in the end we could never agree on the other's preferred breed.

So we started doing researched into an active, fun, playful, and friendly breed.

Sibes just seemed to hit the top of the list all the time.... We joined the forum and lurked for a full year to read experiences and were sold soon after. all the mischief, excitement, and fun just seemed to match our lifestyle perfectly.

And we wouldn't have it any other way now.
~Chris~

Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 6:54 am

I did some research on both the Bull Mastiff and the Husky, before going to view Freya and her sibs. I loved aspects of both breeds. And as soon as I found Freya in amongst her sibs, she just called to me. I held her. She wagged her little tail, she licked at my face adn she was sold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 8:50 am

ashleylou wrote:
NadirCs wrote:
We threw her a ball and she responded by laying down and asking for belly rubs. We thought, what a quiet, calm, lazy dog. This is perfect for us! And we took her home the next day.

....little did we know.
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Oh how fun phatom knew how to find a home..

Back to top Go down
ashleylou
Teenager
Teenager
ashleylou

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 11:40 am

ljelgin wrote:
ashleylou wrote:
NadirCs wrote:
We threw her a ball and she responded by laying down and asking for belly rubs. We thought, what a quiet, calm, lazy dog. This is perfect for us! And we took her home the next day.

....little did we know.
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Oh how fun phatom knew how to find a home..

Sorry? Just thought the little did we know was funny...obviously not that funny.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?   Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed? Empty

Back to top Go down

Just for fun, what made you pick the Husky Breed?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next