It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Controlling Behavior at Other People's Houses

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Controlling Behavior at Other People's Houses Empty
PostSubject: Controlling Behavior at Other People's Houses   Controlling Behavior at Other People's Houses EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 10:02 pm

Okay... so this is really about two things in particular, but they mesh together.

Koda is extremely well-behaved at our house (normally-- it's a rare occassion we can't at least control his behavior here). However, we're having major issues controlling him when we take him to visit our families. When he needs to go out or he needs to play, he'll come right up to you, stare at you, and then bark in your face (often times getting his mouth/teeth very close to you. Most people think he's going to bite). He ALSO does this when he wants attention, and he like almost jumps AT you. It scares a lot of people and what concerns us most today is that he did it to a 3 year old girl. She was fine with it cause she was in love with him, but he gave me a heart attack every time. He does it without warning and because of her height, his teeth come VERY close to her face.

I'm at a loss for how to train him out of this. I don't have small children at my beck and call so I can't really train with kids. When he does it to us at home, I try and get John to ignore him (but in his defense it is REALLY hard to ignore because it's loud, annoying, and obnoxious) however John can't really do that. He ends up getting mad and alpha rolling him or putting him in his crate to calm down. This only works temporarily.

Any ideas? I really don't want this issue every time we're around kids and my best friend is having a baby. I need him to be able to be around small kids without giving me agita!

Controlling Behavior at Other People's Houses Hailey10
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Behavior at Other People's Houses   Controlling Behavior at Other People's Houses EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 2:40 pm

I do believe that's a humdinger. With our dogs, I do not tolerate any sort of hyper or possibly dangerous behaviors around children. But if you've ever followed any of my training, you know I fall somewhere between Cesar and Koehler. My approach would be to muzzle him for a few moments, so you're not totally hands on with him. Then when the muzzle is removed he will likely protest a bit more, and the muzzle goes back on for a few more moments tying in a command for settle down. The first time the muzzle is removed and he's quiet for even a second, praise him heavily but not in a way that excites him. Usually a nice rub around the eyes and ears is what I use. Then build up the time span slowly.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Behavior at Other People's Houses   Controlling Behavior at Other People's Houses EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 1:29 pm

I think the muzzle is a good idea, but make sure you tell the people at the house that the muzzle is not because you are afraid of him biting and that he is not a "bad" dog that you are just working on training him. you do not want you friends to be afraid of him which might make him try even harder to get their attention. we have been thinking of getting Jack a muzzle for car rides as you have all seen the video he just whines and gets really loud and for long car rides it is not tolerable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Behavior at Other People's Houses   Controlling Behavior at Other People's Houses Empty

Back to top Go down

Controlling Behavior at Other People's Houses

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1