It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New husky owner from so cal! Ive got questions for the experienced.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ownerofMaxine
Newborn
Newborn
ownerofMaxine

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

New husky owner from so cal! Ive got questions for the experienced. Empty
PostSubject: New husky owner from so cal! Ive got questions for the experienced.   New husky owner from so cal! Ive got questions for the experienced. EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Hello, I'm Helen!
I'm from Orange County, California.
I have a 3 month old black and white siberian husky whom i've had for about 6 weeks.Her name is Maxine. She is very sweet, but very hyper. I know a lot of husky pups are like this, but what is normal as opposed to abnormal?
She used to be quite nippy when we got her. She did not like strange people or strange dogs. someone told me she needed to be socialized as much as possible, so I take her to the local dog beach and dog parks and if somebody wants to touch her i have them give her a treat.
because of this she is pretty good with people wether they give her a treat or not. She now allows people to touch her and she even licks them..or goes up to people and basically demands being pet. she is also good around kids, doesnt bite them..just sniffs and licks. however the problem is that whenever she goes to the vet and the vet tech takes her to the back they claim she gets nippy in an aggressive way. they say she needs behavioral training classes..but this is the only place she acts like this. Ive also noticed that if i am in the exam room with her and the vet, she is very calm, and not at all nippy, and she lets the vet handle her, give her the vaccinations etc without hassle.
so my question is, do you think she just gets scared of the vet techs when they take her in the back room and im not there? maybe she thinks theyre trying to hurt her?
I'm not giving up on her because she is already my baby..but any advice would help a lot.
BTW she also has a chewing problem..and likes to try and chew on everything including fingers..not hard but her puppy teeth are sharp and that sometimes bothers us...we've gotten her to cool that down a little by saying a firm "NO! biting" and if she doesnt listen we give her a soft tap on the nose with a rolled up news paper...she doesnt like that so she stops..but yes...enough with my ranting..how should i go about things with her?

thank you in advance!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner from so cal! Ive got questions for the experienced.   New husky owner from so cal! Ive got questions for the experienced. EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 11:18 pm

Kale and I welcome you from California Cool

I'm a vet tech and there are certain ways to handle dogs and cats based on behavior and certain signals that they give us. From what you are describing, it seems that she is a bit fearful, and a very confident, and assertive person can easily intimidate young puppies. That's why when dealing with fearful dogs I always take note of approaching lower and to the side and to be a bit more submissive with my actions and voice even, that way it gives them a chance to come out of their shell and trust me and what I am doing. I'm still firm with them if they act up, a simple no and shhh usually works. It's okay to tell a tech that they are being to rough and scaring your pup. I've seen busy techs approach fearful dogs too quickly or are not aware of their actions, and when the dog lashes out they blame the dog; I quickly correct the other person and let them know they need to be more aware of there "energy" and movements.

As for the biting, I don't recommend tapping the nose. It can make a dog head shy quickly, and possibly lash out later on. Either a yelping sound or a gentle grip of the muzzle and ending play for a while usually does the trick. I'm also an advocate for eye contact. Saying no with a low voice while keeping direct eye contact worked with Kale and his puppy bites.

Hope some of that helped!

Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
ownerofMaxine
Newborn
Newborn
ownerofMaxine

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner from so cal! Ive got questions for the experienced.   New husky owner from so cal! Ive got questions for the experienced. EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 1:00 am

okay, thanks for the great advice! it definitely eases my mind a bit that some of her actions are normal and still correctable. thank you so much!
Back to top Go down
mitdlee4
Newborn
Newborn
mitdlee4

Male Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner from so cal! Ive got questions for the experienced.   New husky owner from so cal! Ive got questions for the experienced. EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 2:20 am

Same thing happened with my boy try getting more people to hold her and pick her up. When the vet first held him, like literally a baby boy haha he yelped louder than imagined because he was only comphy with me doing it. So have other hold her, i tell him settle when he acts up if others are grabbing him. He has to know that hes not the boss.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner from so cal! Ive got questions for the experienced.   New husky owner from so cal! Ive got questions for the experienced. EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 6:30 am

+1 for brookes advice. I don't usually advocate negative reinforcement, but I use grabbing the muzzle as means to distract not to hurt. It should be form but not painful.

Socialize! Get the puppy meeting people, even if its just family until she has all shots. Let them touch her and pick her up. We did this with cato and he still likes being held like a baby and is great with the vet
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner from so cal! Ive got questions for the experienced.   New husky owner from so cal! Ive got questions for the experienced. Empty

Back to top Go down

New husky owner from so cal! Ive got questions for the experienced.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1