It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Socialization Issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Socialization Issues Empty
PostSubject: Socialization Issues   Socialization Issues EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 12:16 pm

We are having some socialization issues with Bode. He is extremely shy with people. We walk him in the neighborhood 2-3x a day and he always meets new people then. We also try to take him places as much as possible.

I kind of started freaking out today about it. We took him to a different vet than normal today because our vet isn't open weekends and he's been having some digestion issues. I didn't like her demeanor to begin with, she was kind of rough, but that shouldn't matter. When she was trying to examine Bode she got him cornered and pulled on his leash and he snapped at her. She immediately was like "That's a problem!" and gave me a big speech about how he shouldn't be doing that, especially this young. She was a little harsh and rude about it, but she is right.

He has never snapped at anyone before, but when meeting new people, they put their hand out and he will sniff it. But then he will shy away and maybe come back to them a couple times. But he definitely is not a bouncy outgoing puppy. I can't handle the thought of having a fearful dog and the possibility of him biting someone and having to give him up.

I know we need to get him started in puppy classes, that's in the works. But for now, do you have any wise words/tips for dealing with this?
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Socialization Issues   Socialization Issues EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 12:25 pm

Maybe check if there are puppy day care or socialization sessions around your neighbourhood? We waited until Stark was at least 4 months and started taking him to the dog park. It's worked wonders for him!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Socialization Issues   Socialization Issues EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 12:37 pm

One, the vet should know better than to approach any fearful animal in such a way! I see fearful puppies all the time. It's not uncommon. They turn out to be great, loving dogs. Just keep working with him and try to shake what that ridiculous vet said. Where I work we always treat puppies, and all patients, gentle and with great care with lots of treats and rewards. I would have told that vet she's full of it and walked out. Any veterinary professional that blames the animal for THIER actions is ridiculous to me, and give all of us a bad name. I'm so sorry you had that experiance! I know with a lot of love and patience you can help him come out of his shell Very Happy Don't feel discourage!

Last edited by hypers987 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Socialization Issues   Socialization Issues EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 12:40 pm

I know that the vet went too far, but it just brought out the worries that have been in the back of my head about his shyness.

There's a puppy socialization class starting next Friday that I'm trying to get him in. He's actually really good with strange dogs, but the dog park is always fun. It's people that's the problem.
Back to top Go down
Charsmom
Teenager
Teenager
Charsmom

Female Join date : 2012-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Socialization Issues   Socialization Issues EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 12:44 pm

I don't know what other puppy classes are like, but the one we go to does a puppy circle at the end off class ( when they are all tired out). We all sit in a circle and pass the puppies around. We are suppose to touch their ears, tail, paws etc. Char doesn't like it too much he is hot and not too excited about being held. That being said, he is always excited meeting new people, sometimes too much.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Socialization Issues   Socialization Issues EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Sara, was she pulling on him when it happened? Did he make any warning before doing it?

Also, who was the vet - in your area I know quite a few vets who I had bad experiences with Delilah...but I have a couple I would recommend. PM me Smile

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Socialization Issues   Socialization Issues EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 1:50 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Sara, was she pulling on him when it happened? Did he make any warning before doing it?

Also, who was the vet - in your area I know quite a few vets who I had bad experiences with Delilah...but I have a couple I would recommend. PM me Smile

Yes, she was pulling. He didn't make a warning, but he was obviously stressed and pulling away. And I'll PM you the vets.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Socialization Issues   Socialization Issues EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Pulling away is a warning and pulling at a dog, in a new place, with bright lights and new people - not the smartest thing in the world. I'd have left if I dealt with that.

I don't condone biting, but I don't see this as his fault at all.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Socialization Issues   Socialization Issues EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 2:48 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
I don't condone biting, but I don't see this as his fault at all.

Maybe not in that setting, no. As a vet, she should be better prepared to handle pups that aren't as social. Having said that though, it still sheds light on the same issue Bode was already having, that particular situation just scared him enough that he nipped.

Keeonah was never shy around new people when she was a pup, she wasn't overly excited either, just curious mostly. Now she looooves new people. What I did during her socialization, was every time someone (stranger or otherwise) wanted to interact with Keeonah, I would give them a couple treats really quick, and they would present them to her, make her sit, give her the treats, then love on her. This sort of served a dual purpose I think. She was learning manners with new people (not jumping up, pulling on the leash etc, and the treats helped her to sort of ingrain the idea that new people were good, because they gave her yummy treats. Now when Keeonah meets new people, she will instantly run up to the guest, stop dead, sit down and look up at them, waiting for her treats. Pretty cool IMHO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Socialization Issues   Socialization Issues Empty

Back to top Go down

Socialization Issues

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1