It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

socialization

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blondie
Newborn
Newborn
blondie

Female Join date : 2013-04-04

socialization Empty
PostSubject: socialization   socialization EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 4:55 am

Hi everyone. I have an 11 week old puppy and was wondering what is the best way to socialze him? He hides from anyone that comes over and I want him to eventually feel comfortable enough to hang out when company comes over. He usually goes and hides in his crate until they leave.
Back to top Go down
vonoobs14
Puppy
Puppy
vonoobs14

Male Join date : 2013-04-23

socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: socialization   socialization EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 5:06 am

I think one of the best way is to let your pup bond with other people. Going to parks and maybe taking him for a walk. Smile
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Female Join date : 2013-04-14

socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: socialization   socialization EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 5:28 am

Really it s what vonoobs said, Take him for walks, Parks, stores! There are many stores that allow dogs. Where I live there is Petco, Murdocks, and Sportsmans Wearhouse that you can take them into. Wink

You can also ask your friends to come over more often and just love on, play with, and give treats to him! If every few times someone came over and gave him a yummy treat, he would greet them with smiles and wags every time. Wink
Back to top Go down
vonoobs14
Puppy
Puppy
vonoobs14

Male Join date : 2013-04-23

socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: socialization   socialization EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 6:19 am

If ever Kal-el hides when you have a visitor, I think you can take him and let him greet your visitor and then ask them to pet, praise and give some treats to your cute pup. Smile
Back to top Go down
blondie
Newborn
Newborn
blondie

socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: socialization   socialization EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 6:24 am

We pretty much tell everyone to love on him a little and we give them treats to give to Kal-el when they come over. As far as the park goes we have one across the street and he has been making good improvements as far as wanting to go over there. It started out that he wouldn't leave the yard then I got him over there when it was empty now he goes with me when there are kids and even other dogs but he shys away from both. I know this is to be expected at first since he is still getting used to the big outside world. However yesterday he took a giant step back and wouldn't even be outside in the yard to play. We would go out and he would pee and come right back in. Before we would play for sometimes 30 minutes before coming back in. When he got in the house he would go curl up in a corner. He came out to play a few times with me in the house. I think that he wasn't feeling the greatest yesterday. Could that have been the reason he wouldn't want to be outside?
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: socialization   socialization EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 10:41 am

I noticed you are feeding puppy chow which is horrible because of the amount of grains.You should switch to grain-free kibble on top of increasing his exposure to strangers/men/children/dogs. It's amazing how a good diet changes a dogs sense of well-being for the better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: socialization   socialization EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 11:28 am

I would definitely not take an 11 week old puppy to high traffic dog areas like Petco, Petsmart, Tractor Supply, etc. Puppies are so susceptible to disease especially before they've had all of their shots.

Bring him around the neighborhood on walks, let him be around friends/family that you know have dogs that are healthy and UTD on shots. You can't keep them shut away from everything but you also don't want to bring them to places where there would be a high chance they could catch something such as a dog park or pet store.

And you have to understand that that's a big scary world out there to a young pup. Encourage him with soft praise and treats when he's outside. Eventually you won't be able to get them to go back inside. Lol.

Good luck! Smile

Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: socialization   socialization EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 2:22 pm

Nonook will be 17 weeks old this weekend and we just got the ok to do low traffic areas..no dog parks, pet stores or regular parks until he gets his last shot in a month. It is very hard to socialize them with such restrictions. What we have done is have my kids friends over a lot plus family and we go for walks around the block letting neighbors say hi to him. Today we went on our first hike and he did great with people..i really did not know what to expect...and I am not even sure if that is consider High traffic area..but I think it was ok.
Back to top Go down
blondie
Newborn
Newborn
blondie

socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: socialization   socialization EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 4:22 pm

That is the food the breeder was feeding him so my fiancee bought it just to make sure he had something familiar to eat when we brought him home. I have heard about the low grain foods and would like to get him started on it but I dont want to break the bank either. Is there a good brand that is reasonably priced?
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: socialization   socialization EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 4:35 pm

Taste of the wild. There are plenty of shops that sell it in your state Smile you can use the dealer locator on the website
Back to top Go down
blondie
Newborn
Newborn
blondie

socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: socialization   socialization EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks I will check that out Smile
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: socialization   socialization EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 4:42 pm

No problem! It stills costs more than puppy chow but it is worth it. Check out the quality rating of Puppy chow then compare it it TOTW:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-puppy-chow/

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/taste-of-the-wild-dog-food-dry/
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: socialization   socialization EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 7:15 pm

Quite a few people have said they use the costco natures domain brand food, personally im using american natural premium right now, if we get a costco membership i may switch to that food.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: socialization   socialization EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 11:37 pm

I personally use TOTW, but its price isnt for everyone. If you can't afford $50 per 30 pound bag, look into Costco Domain and 4Health from Tractor Supply. Those are a bit cheaper brands without skimping on the quality your dogs need.
Back to top Go down
blondie
Newborn
Newborn
blondie

socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: socialization   socialization EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 11:56 pm

We will definitly be trying out a better food for him. Thank you for all of the suggestions. I have scheduled a play date with my friend and her husky/collie mix. We will see how Kal-el does with her. He was back to his playful self in the house today. He still did not want to be outside much but thats ok he will get there. Thank you for reassuring me on what we have been doing right and giving helpful advice.
Back to top Go down
jennmreeves
Newborn
Newborn
jennmreeves

Female Join date : 2013-04-01

socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: socialization   socialization EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 6:58 pm

What I have done for my little Meeka is I took her to my father's, grandmother's, sister's, and brother's houses. Other than my grandma's everyone in my family has pets and it made it easy for her to take to new people. I take her everywhere with me as long as pets are allowed. And anymore I stopped going to the places that do not allow pets all that much. She loves everyone that comes through our front door now. Not too long ago there was a contractor that came to the house to give me an estimate for some work that I would like done and as soon as he came through the door she was all over him kissing and wagging her tail. If anything she is waaaaaay over-friendly.
Back to top Go down
blondie
Newborn
Newborn
blondie

socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: socialization   socialization EmptyTue May 21, 2013 1:04 am

just to up date on this post. Kal-el had his playdate and he loved it and so did savannah. He is eating the new grain free food and loving it. He is actually starting to greet people, if only just a sniff when they come over. We had a bunch of family over for a cookout this last weekend and he greeted everyone then went and took a nap in a quiet corner but there is much improvement.
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: socialization   socialization EmptyTue May 21, 2013 1:12 am

Thats awesome news! I'm so happy you and Kal-el
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content