It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Howling or "singing"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

Howling or "singing" Empty
PostSubject: Howling or "singing"   Howling or "singing" EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 3:06 pm

Anyone have any tips on how to teach the "howl" "sing" command? I've been trying and trying, Cally just barks at me. The only times she howls is if I leave her alone, she's in the crate or she needs to go outside. Anyone actually taught there husky to do this and what tricks did you use? I've tried using youtube, other dogs howling, squeaky toys, treats.... lol
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Howling or "singing"   Howling or "singing" EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 4:11 pm

I sat there like an idiot saying "Speak" forming my hand into a mouth and opening it and whooooing while the "mouth hand" was opened.

Videos of Mel's Kody worked well too.... I don't know what it is... But the videos of Kody tend to get Tika all ramped up.... she will tilt her head at others.... But she responds to Kody for some reason.

I think it took a week or two before Tika really caught on to it and understood what we wanted.

Now she talks whoos if she wants to go out, or disagrees with us in some way shape or form. Oh I'm sorry, is it 7:32pm and you should have been fed at 7:30? Please let me know how unhappy you are about me being 2 minutes late.

Remember... Once you teach them to speak, You sometimes wish you didn't Smile

~Chris~

Teenager
Teenager
Dragula64

Female Join date : 2012-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Howling or "singing"   Howling or "singing" EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 4:13 pm

I'm very interested in learning this also. My girl won't sing or howl either. I've even tried howling to see if she will do it with me but she just looks at me like I'm crazy. She doesn't even bark. I hope someone knows some tricks to get them to do it.
Back to top Go down
liz-skees
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Howling or "singing"   Howling or "singing" EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Last edited by liz-skees on Mon May 20, 2013 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Howling or "singing"   Howling or "singing" EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Tika wrote:

Remember... Once you teach them to speak, You sometimes wish you didn't Smile

This times a million. And we didn't teach Bode to speak/howl. He picked it up all on his own. And he is MOUTHY! "Sit?" Oh he'll sit, but not after letting you know he doesn't want to. Not paying enough attention to him? "Woooowoooowoooo".

It can be adorable and hilarious, but sometimes it's just downright obnoxious. If you've got a quiet one, think seriously about whether you want to change that or not!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Howling or "singing"   Howling or "singing" EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 7:28 pm

Haha I talk my lab to "speak" but opening and closing my mouth really fast and sorta smacking my lips, works everytime lol. Balon I haven't begun to teach that yet....
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Howling or "singing"   Howling or "singing" EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Rogue took for effing ever to howl. She only started doing it after we made all the dogs howl in harmony at Claudia's.
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

PostSubject: Re: Howling or "singing"   Howling or "singing" EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Cally will do it but as I said only in the crate or when I leave, I want to teach her to do it on command :p she will speak (bark) just not woo or howl! I know the nuisance that comes with a howling husky, but it's all part of the husky fun! lol I might try taking a look at Kody's videos
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Howling or "singing"   Howling or "singing" EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 9:56 pm

If you can get her to do it in the crate that you can reinforce it. It will just take a little bit of time.

Before letting her out ask her to "HOWL" make your hand into a mouth and open it (As long as that isn't the sign you use for speak or bark). The second she does it give her a treat through the cage. Don't let her out just yet.

Repeat until she does it 3 times. Then let her out and do all your normal play or what ever else you do.

Continue on like that for a couple of days, it will start to sink in. Always reward a treat when she howls during this time period, in the crate or out. If she does it randomly say "good girl. Cally Howl" make the hand signal and reward.

Then change it slightly. before letting her out of the crate she will be howling. This is going to be a little bit rough on both of you for the first little bit. Make your hand into mouth again but this time don't open it. Every time she howls tell her "No. Cally Quiet" Leave your hand closed.

If she doesn't do it in like 5 mins go back to rewarding just the howling and then try again tomorrow and so on.

If she does quiet tell her "Good Cally, Call Quiet". REWARD QUIET Treat!!!!! Then Open the crate and let her out when she is quiet.

From this point on if you can trigger a quiet easy enough or if she isn't barking on a day you come to let her out ask her to Howl and make the sign.

If you can find a way to make your pup howl it is pretty easy to reinforce the behaviour (Normally) after. You just have to keep at it.

It's the same way I thought Tika to crawl..... She was crawling on the ground one day and I saw her... So I grabbed my bag of treats fast and reinforced it. Now she can do it on command.

~Chris~
Back to top Go down
Circe&Mischov
Newborn
Newborn
Circe&Mischov

Female Join date : 2012-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Howling or "singing"   Howling or "singing" EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 11:39 pm

Mine will do it if he is backtalking, singing with me, or sirens are a no-fail trigger! We have a tsunami siren test every Wednesday and he howls along, usually directly in my ear.
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

PostSubject: Re: Howling or "singing"   Howling or "singing" EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 12:10 am

I'll try that Chris, thanks! And ahaha there such a pleasure though :p, even when backtalking lol
Back to top Go down
ElanzaCoetzee
Newborn
Newborn
ElanzaCoetzee

Female Join date : 2012-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Howling or "singing"   Howling or "singing" EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 4:39 am

Just last night my husband got Lindor to 'sing'. He made low deep moaning noises to her and she moaned back.

When I realized what was going on I jumped up got the clicker and snacks and started clicking.
Hopefully tonight we can practices it again.

Sham Zimba was sitting there giving a bark now and then asking where is my snack?

Let us know what worked for Cally.

Wink
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

PostSubject: Re: Howling or "singing"   Howling or "singing" EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 10:34 am

I will for sure let you know Smile
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Howling or "singing"   Howling or "singing" EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Sometimes I think Danzig howled from birth. He's a very noisy/talkative dog and even taught our GSP to howl. We taught him to speak when saying "What did you say?" and we did that by asking him and then immitating him talking. He also likes to howl when you roll your tounge. Oh and showing him Gone to the Snow Dog videos really sets him off.

Good luck! It's always fun to hear them talk and howl at you.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Howling or "singing"   Howling or "singing" EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 12:32 am

Well I think I'll just post this clip here of my boy and I singing haha
Usually when I pick up my guitar to practice some tunes, Mylo starts howling/singing for the first few minutes then stops. Today I put my phone to capture this phenomenon Smile

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
tolbert.chad
Newborn
Newborn
tolbert.chad

Male Join date : 2014-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Howling or "singing"   Howling or "singing" EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 1:22 pm

Rune and Zoey do it randomly. I encourage it because my whole family gets a good laugh from it. Zoey is very vocal. My daughter will "talk" with her for about 10 minutes sometimes. Rune is starting to do it. I just mimic what they do and we talk back and forth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Howling or "singing"   Howling or "singing" Empty

Back to top Go down

Howling or "singing"

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1