It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Fearful behavior.. Any Experience?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

Fearful behavior.. Any Experience? Empty
PostSubject: Fearful behavior.. Any Experience?   Fearful behavior.. Any Experience? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 10:58 am

I got Titus when he was about 5 months old from a home which has an accidental pregnancy of their pair of Siberian Huskies. I don't know if they are considered as backyard breeder or not but I definitely do not support that. At that time I was looking for a husky from a reputable breeder but I heard about this lone husky puppy in my neighborhood which is last of the litter and not taken in yet. I went to have a look. There's something about him that attracts my attention and so I decided to take him. The owner/breeder a grumpy old man just ask for the money and told me to take the dog. When I ask about what to feed him, he said table scraps. I know I made the right decision.

So long story short. Titus have always had this fearful behavior since he was a pup. He gets startled by sudden moves. Wouldn't let anyone touch his right hind leg. Hates strangers. Feels threaten when someone lift a hand in front of him. Unsure of other dogs. I spent a lot of time trying to get him better. Once I thought he was aggressive and had him assessed by some behaviorist. They prove that he is not aggressive at all but skittish and lack of confidence. He got a lot better in the recent months. Open up to strangers, playing with other dogs..etc

Yesterday I put both Titus and Lycan in a doggy day care for 4 1/2 hours. When I pick them up, the lady in charge said Titus was doing really fine with all the dogs but he had a nip on her leg from the back. Just a small bruise, not a bite or anything hard. The lady said that whenever she come close to Titus, he gets really anxious keeping her in his sight. When she moved away he relaxed and started playing again. She said that he nip her after she walked pass him and that she did not startle him. So she's not sure why he did that. Probably because he felt threaten and uncomfortable. Titus had never ever in his whole 16 months old life did something like that before.

Does anyone here have any experience on this issue? I would really appreciate some advice.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Fearful behavior.. Any Experience? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fearful behavior.. Any Experience?   Fearful behavior.. Any Experience? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 12:15 pm

I have gone through this with one of my adoptees. I have posted about it in a thread before and I really don't have the time to re-write about it now. Maybe you can find it by doing a search, I know we've seen a similar topic.

Fearful behavior.. Any Experience?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1