It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Fed up with puppy runs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KodahBear81
Newborn
Newborn

Fed up with puppy runs  Empty
PostSubject: Fed up with puppy runs    Fed up with puppy runs  EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 1:16 pm

I have an 8 month old female and we have been battling diarrhea off and on since we got her at 6 weeks. She was diagnosed with giardia a month ago. She was given many different medications (metro, panacur, prescription wet food, etc). She refused to eat the wet food so every day wash struggle to get her meds down. Her stool got better but not completely solid. They sent in a stool sample two weeks later for a recheck and it came back positive for coccidia. So we did another round of meds. Albon and such. She did great! It was the best stool Ive seen from her. As Soon as she was done with those meds the diarrhea was back. They put us back on Albon, metro, and a rx probiotic (she has been on store bought probiotic all along) and she still has diarrhea but they said there are no signs of worms. Im so frustrated and dont know what else it could be or what else to try. I would give anything for my baby girl. But I'm getting irritated spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on her to no prevail. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Fed up with puppy runs    Fed up with puppy runs  EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 1:21 pm

so what food are you feeding her now? did you do your rounds of puppy shots and dewormer when you first got her?
have you thought about switching vets?

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Fed up with puppy runs    Fed up with puppy runs  EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 1:27 pm

She is on royal canin now. We tried switching her food when she was younger but that made everything worse. I have been thinking about trying nutro but if it's not the food I don't want to totally mess her tummy up more. And yes I've definitely thought about switching vets but I don't even know what else it could be. What could they be missing? And yes she had had all of her shots and she gets trifexa every month.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Fed up with puppy runs    Fed up with puppy runs  EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Well if it were me i would switch her to a grain free food, our boy when we got him had loose stools for the first 6months untill i switched him to a grain free food and he firmed right up. if you have proof all the worms are gone then she might have a grain intolerance (huskies have this issue), some vets would not pick up on it being a food issue.

Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Fed up with puppy runs    Fed up with puppy runs  EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Callie is 5 months now and she's always had inconsistent stools. Last week she went completely mushy. I skipped a meal and then put her on a bland diet for two or three days. Now I've reintroduced her kibble but in a smaller amount and for the past two days we've finally had firm stools. I don't think she's ever had such good stools. I don't know if it's the fact that I feed her less now or what but maybe try skipping a meal and then cutting back on how much you feed her. Callie was get 3 to 4 cups of Wellness a day before. Now she gets 2 to 3. I can't say I know what's causing the problems with your girl or what will help but maybe trying this will help?
Back to top Go down
KodahBear81
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Fed up with puppy runs    Fed up with puppy runs  EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Jennifer, the reason I didn't think it was the food was because the stools had gotten better with the first round of Albon. Would Albon have worked if it was grain intolerance? And I do agree my vet does not have the best knowledge on nutrition..
And shae, thank you so much but I've done that. I've skipped meals, given less at a time, done bland diets (chicken and rice, canned I/d, etc) and none of that helped Sad
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

PostSubject: Re: Fed up with puppy runs    Fed up with puppy runs  EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 2:01 pm

Hmm... Okay. You said she's on Royal Canin? What food did you try switching her to that didn't work? Some foods are just too rich for some dogs but that doesn't rule out all dietary changes.
Back to top Go down
KodahBear81
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Fed up with puppy runs    Fed up with puppy runs  EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 2:21 pm

We didn't try any grain free but we tried authority, simply nourished, nutro, and a couple others. I think we are going to try a grain free. Since she already has constant diarrhea is
It any use to change slowly? What is there to lose at this point? I say just try mostly the new food for dinner tonight?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Fed up with puppy runs    Fed up with puppy runs  EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 2:27 pm

i have always switched food cold turkey if they were all ready not doing well on the other food, give it at least a week or more so she has time to adjust to it. also back off any treats you might be giving and look for single ingredient treats. people always over look treats as causing issues as well

Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

PostSubject: Re: Fed up with puppy runs    Fed up with puppy runs  EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 2:33 pm

If she's already got an upset tummy I don't see why you shouldn't just switch cold turkey. Or you can skip a meal to give her a break and then try her on the new food.

If it does turn out to be a grain sensitivity, you're going to want to buy your own grain free treats and bring them with you places. Petsmart is always handing out treats to dogs (though they've always asked as far as I've seen) but you have no clue if what they're giving is grain-free.
Back to top Go down
KodahBear81
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Fed up with puppy runs    Fed up with puppy runs  EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 2:33 pm

She doesnt get treats anymore. We've been down that road before Sad poor pup.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Fed up with puppy runs    Fed up with puppy runs  EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 12:27 pm

I had a lot of problems with Balon and he was on Nutro Ultra from the breeder. I finally switched him to Wilderness Salmon and he has been golden ever since.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fed up with puppy runs    Fed up with puppy runs  Empty

Back to top Go down

Fed up with puppy runs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1