It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

People just dont get it.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

people - People just dont get it. Empty
PostSubject: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 7:42 am

So I had had a few drink with my sister on the weekend ... probably a few too many, but anyways.

I was in a taxi on the way home from out on the town with my sissy when I started talking to the driver. I was probably telling him too much but oh well, I'm not going to see him again.

I told him about Freya, nad how I love her just as much as my boys, how she's my furry daughter and she's spoiled rotten.

He then went on to ask how you can love a dog like a child, and that she's just a dog etc etc etc.

This guy isnt the only one though. My mum doesnt get how I can buy her new toys every pay, or how I spend so much on her food and treats.

The boys dad has a retriever cross who he treats like a 'real dog'. He claims I've de-dogified Freya, that she thinks she's more human than dog because she got scared of him moving a heater.

I love my girl, more than I've ever loved any animal before, she's more than a dog, she's more than a pet, she's more than an animal. She's my girl, my daughter, my best friend.

Why cant people just understand and accept that she's so important to me, rather than question and judge.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 10:25 am

I feel the same way o.o My pups are the best things that have ever happened to me. Every paycheck its always been dog toys and treats Razz I spoil them because they deserve it. I've even had a couple people at work approach me and tell me that when I first started I was a very antisocial person and hard to approach, but ever since I got my dogs they could tell that I was much more relaxed and happier. There's just something about the unconditional love my pups give me that makes me want to give them all my love, and if I ever had kids I'm not sure if I could love them as much XD
Back to top Go down
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 10:30 am

I know how you both feel, because I am pretty sure that people are tired oif hearing about Kota and the way I talk about her. I don't have children, nor do I want them so I have Kota and she is everything I want and more. Not only is she my best friend, but my partner in crime. I treat her just like a child. Carry her pictures around in the wallet, buy her toys and treats, and the most expensive food out there I am pretty sure. SOme people will never understand, but trust me I do. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 10:43 am

KotaBear wrote:
I know how you both feel, because I am pretty sure that people are tired oif hearing about Kota and the way I talk about her. I don't have children, nor do I want them so I have Kota and she is everything I want and more. Not only is she my best friend, but my partner in crime. I treat her just like a child. Carry her pictures around in the wallet, buy her toys and treats, and the most expensive food out there I am pretty sure. SOme people will never understand, but trust me I do. Smile

Ha, we must be like secret twin sisters. My mom always says she wants a grandchild and I tell her she does, Cloud and Yuki Razz
Back to top Go down
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 10:47 am

My mom just laughs at me because she knows my passion towards animals. Its not just dogs but all aminals in general. She has always begged me to go into vet medicine but I wont. I am a nurse and love it. I can't be a vet because I cannot see sick animals or dying animals, and as terrible as it sounds, I can deal with sick/dying people. My mom knows that the only grand kids she will have are probably going to be dogs and she is fine with that because she knows that it isnt what I want. Kota is literally my everything. Again it sounds terrible but I had my husband sign a legal agreement before we got married stating that in the unfortunant circumstance that we separate that the animals are ALL mine.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 11:39 am

I've got 2 sons, and although they are the first loves of my life, especially because my eldest son has many many medical needs. Freya is right up there with them. She is my daughter. I doubt I'll be having any more children, so I'm provbably never going to get my longed for daughter. That no longer bothers me because I have her in Freya.

I swear if it were possible for me to birth her myself I would do it. (I know that sounds incredibly insane, but I just love her so much it hurts sometimes).
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 12:33 pm

My mom still thinks like that about my dogs... Even though they've done so much for my social anxiety and overall happiness... She just doesn't understand that I can't just "find them new homes" because its difficult to move down here with them. It's like, no that's not even an option. Not In any reality.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 12:40 pm

KotaBear wrote:
My mom just laughs at me because she knows my passion towards animals. Its not just dogs but all aminals in general. She has always begged me to go into vet medicine but I wont. I am a nurse and love it. I can't be a vet because I cannot see sick animals or dying animals, and as terrible as it sounds, I can deal with sick/dying people. My mom knows that the only grand kids she will have are probably going to be dogs and she is fine with that because she knows that it isnt what I want. Kota is literally my everything. Again it sounds terrible but I had my husband sign a legal agreement before we got married stating that in the unfortunant circumstance that we separate that the animals are ALL mine.

My mom wanted me to be a vet too, but I've never wanted to be one. I've always loved animals WAY more then people. This forum is probably the most interaction I get with people except when I go to the dog park. I try my hardest to talk to people there and to post on here. Most of our cats are strays that we found as kittens, they were behind a bar and were really sick. So we took them in and made them all better, we had to bottle feed them too since they were so young.
I love my girls so much even more then I love my kitties. When I told my friend I was getting another husky she said that if anyone else told her that she'd say they're crazy. But she can tell how devoted I am to my little girls
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 1:24 pm

arooroomom wrote:
My mom still thinks like that about my dogs... Even though they've done so much for my social anxiety and overall happiness... She just doesn't understand that I can't just "find them new homes" because its difficult to move down here with them. It's like, no that's not even an option. Not In any reality.

I got Freya after my son finished treatment for his relapsed cancer in June, Freya was 4 months old when we fopund out he had yet another tumor.
My mum said to me 'You can always re-home her.' I was insulted by the fact she thought I could so easily part with my child.
I could never just give away my sons, so what would make her think I could simply give Freya away either.

Thankfully the tumor is stable atm, but encase things change she will stay with either my mum and step-daqd who put up fences for the possibility of taking her on, or she will stay with her BFF and her owners.

My son wished for a dog, as I wished for a daughter. Blake (the son) and Freya have an amazing relationship. He has a way with her that is like no other I have ever seen.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm the same way. I get picked on at work from one guy when I talk about Juneau and this husky forum. Everyone thinks he's an ass, so I don't care lol. He's so adament that I can let Juneau off her leash because his Aussie/mix stays with him. I have to tell him daily that it's not possible for her. Some people don't get it. Just accept yourself and you'll be fine! We don't need everyone's approval.

I'm glad I have you guys on here to share our passion and tell my stories to. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 2:26 pm

People are always asking my girlfriend and I when are we going to have a baby, we always respond we do, Luna. Lol people think I'm crazy I take her to the vet and pay for dog daycare. Truth be told I never Suspect I would be like this lol. I'm not sure what is it Luna been a good help for my depression. The thought of leaving or Luna leaving make me want to cry :'(.

This forum and all the help I get from y'all really been great.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 6:01 pm

Kizmat wrote:
People are always asking my girlfriend and I when are we going to have a baby, we always respond we do, Luna. Lol people think I'm crazy I take her to the vet and pay for dog daycare. Truth be told I never Suspect I would be like this lol. I'm not sure what is it Luna been a good help for my depression. The thought of leaving or Luna leaving make me want to cry :'(.

This forum and all the help I get from y'all really been great.

I'm hearing ya.
Freya has been an absolute blessing for my anxiety and depression.

Just before christmas last year I rescued a Boxer cross called Dash. He was an amazing boy, absolutelly perfect in every single possible way, except his health. 2 months after getting him he presented with all ot these debilitating side effects of conditions he had, but because he had been shipped from home to home nobody noticed.

It was awful, 9 weeks after getting him I had to put him to sleep because there wasnt anything that could be done to make him better.
In that short period I fell in love with that boy harder than I've ever fallen for a dog.

It took until June for me to feel ready to get another dog. Freya was a shining light for me. She not only helped me, but she's helped my kids too. Dogs really are the best therapy.

My cousin asked me how she was going. Well didnt that just get me started on a big line of how special she is and how much I love her. His response was I needed to get out more and get a boyfriend to put all that emotionn into a man, rather than an animal.
I've tried to get one of those, but no man is going to give me the love and affection need like my Freya.
Back to top Go down
Dragula64
Teenager
Teenager
Dragula64

Female Join date : 2012-07-22

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 6:15 pm

I love this thread! Most of my friends and family all have kids. My husband and I don't. We don't want any. Every one always tells us we should just have kids because we spoil CJ so much. They don't understand she is our baby! We are so happy with her and our lives revolve around her! I'm so glad all you guys get it!
Back to top Go down
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

Male Join date : 2012-10-15

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 4:14 am

I'll be honest, I've been on both sides of that fence. My parents and my sister have dogs that they treat like an extension of the immediate family... talk to them like children, always buying them toys/treats/etc.

I have never been much of a "dog person" and haven't had a lot of interest in the animals that we've had at our house. My wife has had an infatuation with lap dogs and typically wins out when it came time to pick out the family pets. I never really understood how people could feel the way they do about their pets.

However, as a kid I always wanted a bigger "man-dog" -- and had a strong preference towards Sibes. With recent changes at work and me now working from home nearly 100%, I decided it was time to take on a pet of my own. Since I would be the primary caregiver, my wife didn't give me any grief at all. I researched the breed, searched for a local breeder, and made the jump.

After 3-4 weeks of owning my *own* dog (in addition to the 3 weeks of visitation once I picked him out), I can honestly say I GET IT too. I'm consumed in raising him and making sure he has everything I can possibly provide. I talk to him like he is one of my own -- and my kids joke that he can do no wrong with me. I'm constantly scouring the internet shopping and researching training, etc. -- all of the things that I used to think my family was crazy for doing.

For me, it took actually having one of my own to really *get it.* I think it's different for everyone, but everyone has the potential to love an animal as much as they love their humans.
Back to top Go down
http://about.me/kevinsutton
ToccoasMom
Puppy
Puppy
ToccoasMom

Female Join date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 10:23 am

My parents have never been "pet" people. We have three boys (2 that are grown) and one teenager still at home. We also have 3 dogs, 1 cat and a million fish Smile I love them like my own kids. Since I work from home, they are my best friends and constant companions. No one in my family understands. They think we live in a zoo. They certainly don't understand why we can't jump in the car and visit them upon demand. But I wouldn't have it any other way!
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Freya has been at her BFF's place for a few nights while I went up to the hospital for appointments with my son.
She came home tonight we had some snuggles on the couch and now she's curled up at the back of my son as he sleeps.

I've missed her so much, I feel like my whole family is back together again under one roof.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 12:37 pm

ksutton wrote:
I'll be honest, I've been on both sides of that fence. My parents and my sister have dogs that they treat like an extension of the immediate family... talk to them like children, always buying them toys/treats/etc.

I have never been much of a "dog person" and haven't had a lot of interest in the animals that we've had at our house. My wife has had an infatuation with lap dogs and typically wins out when it came time to pick out the family pets. I never really understood how people could feel the way they do about their pets.

However, as a kid I always wanted a bigger "man-dog" -- and had a strong preference towards Sibes. With recent changes at work and me now working from home nearly 100%, I decided it was time to take on a pet of my own. Since I would be the primary caregiver, my wife didn't give me any grief at all. I researched the breed, searched for a local breeder, and made the jump.

After 3-4 weeks of owning my *own* dog (in addition to the 3 weeks of visitation once I picked him out), I can honestly say I GET IT too. I'm consumed in raising him and making sure he has everything I can possibly provide. I talk to him like he is one of my own -- and my kids joke that he can do no wrong with me. I'm constantly scouring the internet shopping and researching training, etc. -- all of the things that I used to think my family was crazy for doing.

For me, it took actually having one of my own to really *get it.* I think it's different for everyone, but everyone has the potential to love an animal as much as they love their humans.

Well said!
Back to top Go down
tillertime
Newborn
Newborn
tillertime

Male Join date : 2012-10-31

PostSubject: People Just Don't Get It   people - People just dont get it. EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 1:00 pm

"Come on, it's just a dog!" Yes, sadly you hear a lot of this. Often from the same people who would say "Come on, it's just a promise." or "Come on, they're only stars."

My first dog was a "Lab-ish" girl. She was our running companion, walking buddy, shipmate and friend. When she eventually died in my arms one rainy morning we grieved for her like we'd lost a child. In many ways, that's exactly what she was.

I can't imagine living without a dog, although I'm often at my wits end with these crazy loveable huskies! They may be hard to "train", but it would be incredibly easy to break their spirit by trying too hard. I would never lock my dogs in a cage, hurt them in any way, or - to use that sickening euphemism -"re-home" them.

After all, I made a promise to them when I brought them home.

And a promise is for keeping.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 1:42 pm

It's funny, most of my immediate family and friends don't GET IT but it's fine by me because I'm the same when it comes to children. Why would you want to go down that road?

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 7:56 pm

I was planning to stay at my sister's place for the weekend but forgot she doesnt have a fenced in yard. I quickly rang her up and said 'I cant go because I canty take Freya and I'm not going to leave her on her own for the night as she stresses, and has such terrible anxiety.'
I left her at home one night before and I came home to vomit and diarrhea, it took days for the smell to pass and a good 48 hours for her to believe I wasnt going to leave her again.

My sister didnt get it at all. She said 'Your dog needens to harden the F*** up, she's a dog and she has to get used to being one. How are you ever going to have a life if you're always stuck at home with the dog.'

I was really upset with that. She's the farthest thing from JUST a dog. She's my baby girl who I would do anything for. I'm not going to leave her over night and just let her freak out, be scared to the point of making herself sick all because I want to go have a few drinks with my sister.

I ended up making arrangments for her to go with a friend who also has a dog to take her for the weekend. He was more than happy to because it's great socialisation for his dog too and I look after his retriever for a few days at a time too.

Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 11:23 pm

I don't have a "Crazy Dog Lady" magnet on my car for nothing!
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 11:44 pm

June I need a "Crazy Dog Lady" sticker for my car! My family actually understands though. My mom knows that Anna is my baby and it is pretty obvious too. Anna gets so excited to see me even if I walk to the truck to get something. She never leaves my side. If I could take her everywhere she would go everywhere. I hate leaving her when it is time for me to go to class. She is our big fluffy baby and we would be lost without her. Anna and I went to a friend's this weekend and left Chris home and he said it is lonely without her being right there and it really is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: People just dont get it.   people - People just dont get it. Empty

Back to top Go down

People just dont get it.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1