It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed) Empty
PostSubject: Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed)   Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed) EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 12:45 pm

Thane is 7 months now and has been neutered about 2 weeks ago. In terms of his behavior he's good, a tad stubborn but comes with the breed lol. I've been crate training him since I got him and he's taken to it just fine. But lately he's started to whine and howl when I leave to go to work. It's affecting my sister and dad because I leave early in the morning when they are still sleeping. I'll even walk him in the morning and he still whines and howls. Now if I leave him out of the crate supposedly he doesn't make a noise and just roams the house chewing toys, playing with the cat or sleeping by the front door. I'm seeking advice on if I should continue to work with him having free roam of the house 24/7(which personally doesn't bother me nor my family) or should I stick strictly to the crate when I'm gone?
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed)   Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed) EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Is your family home all day long?

We crate Anna during the day when we both are not home but on Thursdays when I have school and he doesn't I leave Anna in the bedroom with him and she will sleep. If I left her in the crate she would cry. She doesn't seem to do anything in the bedroom, not much to tear up and she likes to sleep anyways. So my suggestion is if everyone leaves the house then maybe the last person to leave can put him in the crate? If someone is always home then I say just leave him out.
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

PostSubject: Re: Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed)   Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed) EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 1:19 pm

My sister has school and my dad has shift work. so there is someone home most of the time. My dad is usually sleeping for the night shift or he's sleeping in because he's off. The odd couple of days when my dad is on days no one is home till we get in.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed)   Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed) EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 1:33 pm

Then I would just do like I said. When your dad works crate him. If you dad is sleeping either leave him in the room with your dad or leave him out. Either way he should be fine.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed)   Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed) EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 3:26 pm

I agree with Ellen - apparently the dog is very aware of the presence of people Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed)   Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed) EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 4:50 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
I agree with Ellen - apparently the dog is very aware of the presence of people Smile

Ditto, I'd do the same.

Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed)   Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed) EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 8:01 pm

I’m sure every dog is different but I could not imagine what my house would look like if I let Nikko out of his crate during the day!

I will leave them both for a few minutes alone, but that’s about it. Last weekend I took a shower and left them downstairs and was pleasantly surprised to find them in the same state as I left them.

But there are those times when I find Nikko with random objects in his mouth, like clothes, shoes, remotes, cell phones, etc.

Unless he calms down significantly and I feel I can trust him MAYBE I will get to the point where I would leave him out of the crate while I’m gone. I also might if I had a basement or room he could go in that is husky proof.

I crate them not only because I’d rather not replace all my stuff, but I wouldn’t want anything bad to happen to him, like chewing wires and getting electrocuted, or swallowing something that will hurt him.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed)   Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed) EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 8:24 pm

Well we are only talking about leaving them out when your home. I wouldn't leave Anna out if no one was home. We tried once and she had highlighter and shaprie all over the carpet. When I take a shower Anna usually is in the bathroom with me. She doesn't leave my side. But then again it could just be Anna but I cannot put her in the crate if I am home. It will just make me crazy. Hahah
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed)   Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed) EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 12:11 am

I am thinking that if you are fine with leaving Thane roaming the house then do it. It can teach him manners as well that he shouldn't tear or mess with anything that is not his toy. This way later on, you don't have to worry about him messing the house if you're not there.
I have never crate train both my dogs (18 months old and 6 months old) and they stay in the house when I am out. I leave things and remote control on the table, shoes by the door and they won't do anything to it. If I have to leave longer than an hour or so, I will leave the sliding door to the backyard open so they can go do their toilets. My backyard is fully fenced with solid timber so they can't climb or dig, not that they have tried. Well, the only thing they will do sometimes is dig a hole and hide their toys. But they won't make the house muddy as they always wash their paws in the pool because I will check their paws when I see a hole but I won't scold them if their paws are clean. That's why I said they learn things fast.
For starters, don't leave anything you value around or it's gonna be in pieces. If he tears something, tell him 'no' and show him the thing. Don't think that he will forget, they are smart dogs.
I think that if you keep him in a crate all the time, he will definitely go for remote and shoes when he is out. But if he is out all the time, those things are just usual stuffs in the house. He won't be interested in them anymore. That is my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed)   Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed) EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:08 am

I've never crated but mainly because I never knew about crating until I joined this forum. Paid the high price of it once with the death of the evil sofa while I was at work by Mylo. Received another sofa and he must have started on one of the sofa cushions and stopped, he must of remembered the fear of God I instilled in him. The corner he chewed was hide able so no wrath.

Yesterday was the first time I've let Adobo & Biko stay in the house together after I came home for lunch. Adobo I knew was good to be there Biko I had concerns. So I raised the blinds up so he good look out the window and not destroy them. Came home at 3:45PM and still he demolished the bedroom blinds but I had told Beth if that was the worse that would happen we'll be okay and he will improve. Will see what happens today if its still below freezing at noon again today.
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

PostSubject: Re: Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed)   Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed) EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Well left Thane out today and he did just fine no whining or howling just went about his business and my sister found him sleeping at the front entrance when she woke up. Guess I'll stick to leaving him out before I leave for work and have the last person in the house crate him when they leave.

On a side note,, I can usually shower or even leave him in the house (longest has been 20 mins) and comeback to nothing destroyed. I try not to leave anything out that I don't want destroyed but not sure if real husky is real XD.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed)   Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed) Empty

Back to top Go down

Crate vs no Crate (Advice Needed)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1