It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mr.Benassi
Newborn
Newborn
Mr.Benassi

Male Join date : 2012-11-13

Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? Empty
PostSubject: Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?   Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Yesterday i was given a 2 year old Siberian Husky, Sousu, her last owner fed her Kibble. The problem is, i dont know which brand. So, i was seeking advice, right now im considering buying her Blue Buffalo, the Chicken one. Do you guys recommend it, or which other brands would you all recommend? Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?   Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 10:17 pm

If you go to the nutrition sub forum there's a "What Are You Feeding" thread, take a look at that, lots of good information. I'd link you but I'm on my phone.

I prefer Acana or Earthborn. BB is a good food, but the only one I would feed is the Wilderness formula. Grain free.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?   Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 11:05 pm

We feed Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck and Salmon Adult. We actually are going to start switching with BBW flavors and Taste of the Wild flavors. They just work within our budget and Anna doesn't have a sensitive tummy so we are able to switch between brands easily.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?   Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 11:11 pm

Here is the thread that Heather is referring to: What are you feeding your Husky?

If you are going to buy Blue Buffalo I would second getting the grain free Wilderness version. BB is a decent food.

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?   Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 1:03 am

Another site that a lot of members refer to quite often is DogFoodAdvisor.com Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
HuskyLuvver
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?   Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 8:53 pm

Been feeding natures domain salmon and sweet potato with some blue buffalo wilderness wet on the side. Seems like the winning combo.
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?   Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 9:36 pm

I feed Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon flavour dry food and occasionally as a treat the wet food. All depends on your pup and how the food works with their tummies Smile
Back to top Go down
japhotos
Newborn
Newborn
japhotos

Male Join date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?   Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:42 am

Blue Buffalo wilderness is the way to go if you want to feed BB. You can also check out Origin, Fromm, Merrick, or Natures Variety. If you are on a budget Taste of the Wild is a good cost for what you get but they do tend to have more recalls because it is produced in the Diamond plant which is notorious for recalls, especially recently. I also recommend going to www.dogfoodadvisor.com to do your own research as they tend to be the only decent dog food review site out there that is non-biased as well as covers a bunch of different foods. Also, if you can afford it or have the time to make your own Raw will beat any kibble on the market but is usually 2X or more of the price of kibble to feed every month. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Female Join date : 2012-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?   Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:47 am

Pulsar has a good grain free salmon formula thats descent in price as well.
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?   Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 7:51 pm

We are feeding our puppy TOTW puppy. Its grain free and doesn't upset his stomach. Our shih tzu likes it too.
Back to top Go down
Rotorhead
Newborn
Newborn
Rotorhead

Male Join date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?   Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 3:41 am

Pardon my lack of experience, Karly is my first dog, but what is the attraction to or benefit from grain free kibble?
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?   Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 3:44 am

Huskies are known for their sensitive stomachs. All of mine have horrible dihrrea when on basic kibble and honestly they all had horrible coats when I got them due to being fed crap dog food. I feed mine Taste of the Wild and it costs me $45 a bag which really isn't too off from a bag of Iams or Purina.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?   Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Blue Buffalo is a good way to go, but I wouldn't go with the chicken, Yuki had a lot of issues with that. As many said go with Wilderness, you'll have less issues if you go with grain-free, and there should be a couple adult flavors of grain-free wilderness that aren't chicken.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?   Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 1:12 pm

Not to mention that grain is a cheap filler that dogs really don't need.

Newborn
Newborn
Rotorhead

Male Join date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?   Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 2:09 pm

Interesting. I looked at that dog food advisor web site and by their standards I feed my doggie a ho-hum diet. The kibble is ok but the wet food I mix in less so, so I guess when we use up what we have I will change. Shame because she really likes what I make for her and polishes the bowl clean in a matter of four to five minutes. I only feed her once a day and do not over feed her.
We supplement with our own food (replacing dog food that day, not in addition to her dog food), which is home cooked Chinese fare (fiancee is Shanghainese and doesn't eat western food). We joke she is a Chinese desert husky. Bok choi , cabbage, broccoli, chicken, salmon, beef, anything on rice. Soups we make with all manner of veggies (no onion or garlic however) poured on rice. Occasionally she will get a northern Chinese style steamed dumplng filled with pork and cabbage or one of my fiancees home made wontons. She gets a varied diet. Once a week she gets the "ceremonial" scrambled raw egg. We even got the oddball salmon chunks left over from a sushi joint just to feed her with. Cook them up and put them on rice with the salmon juice, yum.
The only two things I have seen her turn her nose up at are shrimp and turkey, both placed on rice with veggies. She'll eat green beans if they are cold, but not warm. And of course any bone goes to her.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?   Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 10:06 pm

Rotorhead wrote:
We joke she is a Chinese desert husky.

My wife is a Filipina and we named one of our Huskies, Biko with is a dessert in the Philippines. One of my fav PI foods thus the name. The other's name is Adobo which is like a chicken or pork stew.

Totally love the Asian style of cooking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?   Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations? Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with new Husky. Kibble recommendations?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1