It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Florida Residents

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
CarbonsAGoodBoy
Newborn
Newborn
CarbonsAGoodBoy

Florida Residents - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 9:39 pm

ok. We just got home from there. I apologize for the smoke. I noticed it bothered some people so I will go out to my car from now on.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Thor2123
Newborn
Newborn
Thor2123

Male Join date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 6:02 pm

I'm also in the Orlando/Apopka area and typically free on friday-sunday if anyone would like to meet up. I've been taking my Thor to fleet peeples dog park in Winter Park its nice and its on a pretty lake. And I'm open for a little bit of a drive so let me know Smile
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Be careful at Fleet. I've heard rumors before about people stealing dogs when they go into the wooded section and someone just posted on CFLSnowdogs that a lady is looking for her husky. Someone walked out of the park with it!

Check out CFLSnowdogs on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CFLSnowdogs/

Florida Residents - Page 3 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 6:27 pm

That's such crap that people would do that. I got warned of the same on the dog park that's near Mindy. People suck Evil or Very Mad

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Florida Residents - Page 3 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
silvertoast
Newborn
Newborn
silvertoast

Male Join date : 2012-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 6:30 pm

im in the p'cola milton area. on facebook to hit me up. would like to get layla around some other huskys to see how she acts b4 we get another one.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 6:49 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
That's such crap that people would do that. I got warned of the same on the dog park that's near Mindy. People suck Evil or Very Mad

People really do. I didn't like going to fleet, because the woods part of it is so big and I spent most of my time walking around it looking for Siku! And that was before I found out there was a problem with people stealing dogs. There's another dog park near me that has a small woods section, but it's not as big and not as dense, so you can keep track of your dog better. If they'd clear out some of the underbrush at fleet, it wouldn't be as bad. At least you could see your dog ignoring you!

Florida Residents - Page 3 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 6:59 pm

silvertoast wrote:
im in the p'cola milton area. on facebook to hit me up. would like to get layla around some other huskys to see how she acts b4 we get another one.

We've got an H2M2 page on Facebook as well, and do meets once a month in the area. Check out Husky Huddle and Malamute Mingle ~ Florida, and I will be posting more information here about the April meetup. We'd love to have you join in!

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Back to top Go down
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

Female Join date : 2012-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 3:35 am

MelissaI wrote:
Sachi wrote:
I am in Miami, and would like to know when there is a local meet, Miami/Ft.Lauderdale.

I'm in Miami too!!!!

Yays, Im also in miami Very Happy, I joined the SFL snowdogs so maybe if ft lauderdale isnt too far for you, Ill meet you guys there

arooroomom wrote:
I'm trying to get a regular meet up started. Our next is in Ft. Lauderdale area (Plantation) it's the 19th. If you have a facebook you can find our group under SFL Snowdogs

I joined the group so just waiting on the confirmation
Back to top Go down
Ziirahdane
Newborn
Newborn
Ziirahdane

Female Join date : 2013-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi guys!

I'm in the Jacksonville area - currently my girl and I attend a husky meetup at a public dog park every saturday. On a good day there can be as many as 30 huskies! All the folks are really nice and funny. I'd love to be able to introduce a new person or (if you already attend) connect with others! I'm on facebook (and the meetup is too) - look me up, Ivonne Lopez. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ivonneimagines.com
LRomero
Newborn
Newborn
LRomero

Male Join date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 5:38 pm

Hey Ivonne, I know the meet you're talking about, up in Riverside right?

I saw their FB page but have not attended a meet. Most of the time I go to Dogwood Park, and although it's 11 bucks to go as a visitor, Hannah and I still enjoy that park more than the others we've been to around Jax.

This weekend Dogwood is suppose to be having some kind of Husky Appreciation Day on Saturday. Not sure what that all entails, lol. Maybe they'll bust out a snow machine, just kidding!!
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 5:49 pm

Ziirahdane wrote:
Hi guys!

I'm in the Jacksonville area - currently my girl and I attend a husky meetup at a public dog park every saturday. On a good day there can be as many as 30 huskies! All the folks are really nice and funny. I'd love to be able to introduce a new person or (if you already attend) connect with others! I'm on facebook (and the meetup is too) - look me up, Ivonne Lopez. Smile

Sorry to be off topic, but is your pup's name in reference to Avatar? It was a hard decision between naming my girl Rogue or Azula!
Back to top Go down
Ziirahdane
Newborn
Newborn
Ziirahdane

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 7:15 pm

@LRomero: Actually, we go to Veteran's Park over off Racetrack Rd (don't think that's Riverside haha). It's freeeeee and I like the more laid back atmosphere (as opposed to Dogwood where I hear some owners can get iffy about how rough huskies can play, some of our club members have even been banned?) .

And yes, some of us were just talking about going to HAD this Saturday! Definitely digging the 5$ entry. Azula and I have never actually been to Dogwood (I hear it's nice, but the $$$ for membership is out of my budget) and it's actually much closer to me than Veterans. Maybe we'll see you there? Very Happy

@Heather!: YES haha! It is, I absolutely looooove that show. There is a pic of ATLA!Azula that gave me the go to name her as such... here

And my girl: my princess

The shadows on her face look like my girl's mask! And the blue flames = blue eyes! Also, her temperament... yeah, I'm actually quite proud of her namesake hahaha. It fits her almost too well.

Also, Rogue is one of my favorite X-Men so, a winner is you!

I really should get around to that official welcome post, hmmm.
Back to top Go down
LRomero
Newborn
Newborn
LRomero

Male Join date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 1:42 pm

@Ziirahdane We'll be out there! Really looking forward to meeting you Smile It's suppose to be really chilly tomorrow too which is always good.. for the pups at least, lol.

I really like Dogwood. Yes the membership is expensive and I actually am not a member, but I've taken Hannah there a few times this month as a treat. It's 11 bucks to go as a visitor so the $5 dollar thing is awesome!

There's two main areas I take her, there's a huge area to run around in, but also has a lake. Hannah ALWAYS has to jump in and then of course roll around in the dirt afterwards. Then there's a separate "night" area which is still open during the day but is just a big field to run in so I usually like to take her there when I don't want her getting too dirty. I've met two husky owners there, guy named Rico with two pups and a girl ( can't remember her name) but has a 3 year old Husky named Bear.

There's also a big hiking zone as well which is kind of fun to go to to just walk around. I usually put her on a leash at this point though.
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Hey there! Wow I haven't posted on here in forever!!

I'm in jax as well....we go to the veterans park on Saturday mornings Smile
I saw this on Craigslist today, and if anyone can help them I'm sure they would appreciate it.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/pet/3618933345.html

I went by and looked at both of the 14 year olds and they are in terrible condition. If I weren't about to have a baby I would have taken them both, but I'm hoping to help them find a foster or a rescue. If not the owner is taking them to the shelter tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
scott.valentino.9
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 11:41 am

I am in the Brandon/Riverview area and go to the Mango Dog park most of the time
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 5:57 pm

scott.valentino.9 wrote:
I am in the Brandon/Riverview area and go to the Mango Dog park most of the time
I used to go there all the time when I lived in Florida (Seffner).
Back to top Go down
scott.valentino.9
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:07 pm

If anyone is near and wants to plan to meet there we go just about every saturday
Back to top Go down
Kyle Derek
Newborn
Newborn
Kyle Derek

Male Join date : 2013-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 9:37 pm

I live in Riverside currently and I have no idea where these dog parks are located. Can anyone give me an idea which ones are the best for an 11 week old to go visit and get used to other dogs and meet other huskies?
Our boys name is Franco and I am dying to get him around other huskies soon. But I am also afraid because he is so small still that he may be overwhelmed by the larger dogs. Ideas?
I look forward to hearing your ideas and any information about where to go with Franco. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 9:49 pm

Don't take an 11 week old puppy to a dog park. First off, the youngest age limit I have ever seen at a park is 4 months. More important than dog park rules though, Franco hasn't had all of his shots yet and is susceptible to diseases, the most worrisome of which is Parvo. Florida had some really nasty Parvo outbreaks last year, and that virus can stay in the soil for months. It's not worth the risk. If you want to socialize, have play dates with dogs that you know are fully vaccinated in your own yard or their yard.

Back to top Go down
Kyle Derek
Newborn
Newborn
Kyle Derek

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 12:45 pm

Oh wow, I had no idea that would be an issue. He has been getting his vaccinations on time and without incident. Thank you for the heads up.
We play in our front yard and take him around the neighborhood on walks. The only dogs that he plays with are the ones in the area on the walks and our neighborhood. As far as I know, they are all vaccinated. He has an appointment tomorrow to get his 12 week vaccinations, chipped, and whatever else it is that vets do for him. I'll be there with him the whole time asking questions and making sure he is ok. I don't leave his side at any point!
Back to top Go down
Ziirahdane
Newborn
Newborn
Ziirahdane

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi Kyle!

I agree that 11 weeks is a little young to visit the dog park. Please wait a little while to avoid unnecessary injuries to your puppy! We sure don't want Franco to be bulldozed by big dogs! And you never know what diseases other dogs bring to the dog park. ):

In Riverside, there is Boone Park but I don't think it's fenced in. I think it's more a people park, so dogs have to be leashed? In the downtown area there is Springfield Confederate dog park, but I've heard it is a little sketchy? It is fenced in and free though. Maybe get a second opinion on that one.

I'm over on Southside. There is a great dog park off of JTB called Dogwood - it is membership based and a little pricey if you go that route. Regular non-member fee is 12$ for entry per dog I think. It is a large fenced-in park with a big lake, hiking trail area, and some smaller fenced in areas for agility/obedience training and small dogs. They also do baths and nail-trimming.

Me and my girl go to Veterans park off Racetrack Rd (St Johns, near Julington Creek/Bartram area). It is free, fenced-in, and is a good size, but has no water feature (but sometimes people bring plastic pools, and when it rains there's puddles everywhere! also there's a faucet to fill water bowls) and there's shelter/a picnic table. We are part of a husky meetup group that comes every Saturday morning (around 10 to noonish depending on weather/temp). 20-30 huskies on a good day! We'd love to have you when Franco gets a little older - we currently have a few puppy members right now as well. It's a little bit of a drive but it's worth it.

By the Beaches area there is Paws Park - I don't know much about this one, unfortunately. But I think it's free. Mandarin area (San Jose) also has a park I believe.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Derek
Newborn
Newborn
Kyle Derek

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 1:52 pm

Lots of good information right there! Thank you so much! Very Happy As for the meets at Veterans park, I may take the drive there one of these upcoming Saturdays when Franco starts to gain alittle more weight and size. I know that he will love being arounf the other dogs. He is such a social butterfly already! Curious, how old are the puppies that have been going in the group now?
Back to top Go down
Ziirahdane
Newborn
Newborn
Ziirahdane

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Glad to help! Smile

We'd love to have you and Franco! The puppies I've seen are between 5 - 11 months. I think there are 3 or 4 of them. I have seen people bring in a younger/smaller one just to show, but they don't stay long. Just give him a little while and he'll be ready to take on the big guys in no time!

Now if this darn rain would just go away...
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 2:49 pm

[quote="Kyle Derek"Thank you for the heads up.
[/quote]

You're welcome! We were living in Pensacola for a while (Ghost actually came from a breeder in Palatka, I wouldn't recommend them though), and all of North FL had horrible Parvo problems last year. I would hate to see anyone on here have to go through that. I was totally that a-hole that was telling people to get their 8 week old puppies out of the parks Razz the worst was this little tiny Cocker puppy that was basically let loose in the big dog part of the Pensacola park. Florida Residents - Page 3 85993

Back to top Go down
Wolfpack5
Newborn
Newborn
Wolfpack5

Female Join date : 2013-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 EmptyThu May 23, 2013 4:46 pm

My pack and I is in the Orlando area.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Florida Residents   Florida Residents - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Florida Residents

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next