It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Raw Update.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Female Join date : 2012-11-13

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the information i was given about switching Kao over to raw. She loves it! For the first little while i was mixing some chicken in with her kibble, just cuz we had some left over and i didnt want it to go to waste. Now ive got her only on the raw. ive got her on turkey necks for the bone and chicken hearts and chicken livers as well as other kinds of chicken to start with. Im currently looking for deals on red meat so i can start her on that. Im very happy i decided to switch her, it may be a little more work but she absolutly loves it so im happy.

The only problem i have noticed since we have switched is that she wont eat her treats any more. Ive just been giving her the bulk ones from the pet shop. Are there any suggestions on treats i can feed her while shes on the raw diet? So one gave me some commercially dehydrated duck hearts and she loved them but i havnt been able to find them any where, i tried dehydrating chicken hearts in the oven but that didnt turn out so well.....
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 5:00 pm

I wouldn't feed chicken livers just yet. It's recommended to wait until at least 4 weeks into the raw diet. I am in my 5th week now and am slowly starting to incorporate the liver.
For treats I've been using Zukes minis, the peanut butter and chicken flavor. Theyre only about 3 calories each and Nikko loves em. Petsmart and Petco should carry them
Back to top Go down
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Ya i havnt started giving her the livers yet, i just found them for a good price so i stocked up.
Im going to go to petsmart todayto check out all their treats, ill take a look for those ones, thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 2:51 pm

So kaos been on only raw for about a week now and I've got her on raw boneless chicken and chicken hearts as well as turkey necks . This morning she has really bad diarrhea. Is this normal? Should I continue feeding what I'm feeding, maybe add in a few more turkey necks?
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Callie and I just started this diet 2 days ago but I've fed mainly bone just to avoid the stomach upset. How often is she getting the turkey necks? And does she do okay with that? Turkey bones are a little tougher for dogs but if she's eating them fine, no reason to switch. Of Cal's 4 raw meals so far, only one has been boneless. A lot of the reading I did said for the first week or so, don't worry about appropriate percentages, just focus on getting their bodies used to raw food. So that's why I haven't really paid much attention to how much bone Callie's been getting. I've just been watching her stools and going off that. I know the hearts are considered muscle meat but I wonder if they're still too rich for her. How have her stools been up until this morning?
Back to top Go down
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 3:02 pm

I've fed her the turkey necks twice so far. It's just been the last two days that I've fed her the hearts and before this morning her stool was normal, maybe it is the hearts then......
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 3:08 pm

You can try feeding more bone and see where that gets you. I haven't read up on hearts enough to know too much about them. Since it's been about a week her body should have pretty much gotten rid of any traces of kibble in her system. It makes sense to me that that's when tummy upset would strike. Hopefully someone with a little more raw experience will chime in but for me, I would think a little more bone should help and if it doesn't then you'll want to try process of elimination to see what's not agreeing with her.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 3:16 pm

While it is normal for some dogs to experience diarrhea and/or soft stools during the transition to raw, in your case I would suspect the problem is a lack of bone. Stool is a good indicator of how much bone the dog is receiving. Soft stool often results when they are not getting enough bone, overly hard stool that they might be straining to pass can indicate too much bone. Every individual will vary but my sibe is one that does better with more bone in his diet and really needs a good amount of it at almost every meal, I do not feed a boneless meal more than twice in a week.

I'd up her bone content first and then re-introduce the hearts and see how that goes.

Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 3:21 pm

Ok thank you! I'll give that a try Smile
Back to top Go down
perspichaos
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-11-15

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 5:34 pm

Tesla had the same treat reluctance, and I don't blame him. I, for one, wouldn't go back to eating compressed chicken flavored vegetable meal after being exposed to real chicken. One thing I would try is taking duck and chicken necks and cutting them up into single vertebra pieces. You'll probably end up with about a third of the vertebrae being small enough to use as training treats, while the rest are good for general use.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 5:45 pm

+1 for lack of bone.

If you want an insta- fix get some 100% Human grade bone meal powder, you can get it at a health food store. A spoonful is the perfect calcium:phosphorous ratio, at least in the brand I use: KAL.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 5:53 pm

Megan, would you just put that powder on a boneless meal or mix it in with water? I might have some as back up as it was hard for me to find un-enhanced bone-in chicken. Might be good to have on hand just in case there's ever a time I'm short on bone-in and Cal needs bone.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 6:09 pm

I just put the powder right on. Or I stuff it in a heart - my female has to have bone in everything, so I just stuff it in a heart or sprinkle it on top. Voila, firm poops.
Back to top Go down
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 6:44 pm

Ohhk I gave her a bit of oatmeal this morning, hoping it would help settle her stomach a bit. I'll go check out that powder tho, it would probably be good to have around, I've been having a bit if a hard time finding bone in meat at a reasonable price.
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 8:16 pm

Check out chicken thighs. I got a 70lb case from Costco for .95/lb
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 2:22 am

Garebear wrote:

Did the price go up recently? I bought my 60 lb case for 85 cents/lb at Costco.

Newborn
Newborn
Kick

Male Join date : 2012-10-20

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 8:12 am

Yeah, my puppy is also one of those dogs that seems to need bone in every meal.

There's a local Mexican store here selling chicken quarters for 65 cents/lb. Going to stop by there. Looks like I have to invest in some bone meal also.

I recently bought some Sea Meal and in conjunction to being fed that a few days in a row, he was having immense diarrhea. Mucus everywhere, etc. Not too sure what caused it because once i noticed the diarrhea, I stopped the sea meal and went to drumsticks and quarters for him (he was eating pork along with some chicken necks/backs for the bone when this occurred).
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 10:41 am

Huskyluv wrote:
Garebear wrote:

I have no idea what the prices have been around here on that, so I'm not sure if it went up. But they're .99/lb individually, so at least I saved .04/lb Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 12:30 pm

Garebear wrote:
Huskyluv wrote:
Garebear wrote:

I have no idea what the prices have been around here on that, so I'm not sure if it went up. But they're .99/lb individually, so at least I saved .04/lb Smile

It's always been 99 cent/lb for the individual packs here too. Maybe it's just a different price on the cases where you are.

Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 6:07 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
+1 for lack of bone.

If you want an insta- fix get some 100% Human grade bone meal powder, you can get it at a health food store. A spoonful is the perfect calcium:phosphorous ratio, at least in the brand I use: KAL.

Ive been looking for any kinda of bone meal powder (the diahrea has not stopped yet) and i cant find it anywhere! ive looked at health food stores as well as pet food stores. i dont know if its maybe cuz im in canada and its not as popular out here, but its looking like i might have to order it online.
Back to top Go down
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 6:08 pm

im wondering if i just got buy her a raw bone to chew on will that do the trick as well??
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 7:46 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Kal-Bone-Meal-Powder---/dp/B000HNHQPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354397581&sr=8-1&keywords=Kal+bone+meal

That is the one I use.
Back to top Go down
Merch
Newborn
Newborn
Merch

Male Join date : 2013-01-16

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Check out Organic World in Maple Ridge cheap red meat. It is $2/lb for ground. I'm not sure what the bone-in options are like.

Club Canine in Mission sells bulk chicken backs/necks $10 for 4kg they have a good amount of bone in them.

Where'd you get your chicken livers?
Back to top Go down
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 2:42 am

My mom works at a place that sells chicken so i get chicken knecks, carcasses, liver, etc. Through her.
Back to top Go down
Merch
Newborn
Newborn
Merch

Male Join date : 2013-01-16

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 11:12 am

Surrey Meat Packers in Cloverdale has ground beef for $1.6/lb and beef bones for $1.5/lb. That is the best I've found so far for red meat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Raw Update. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Update.   Raw Update. Empty

Back to top Go down

Raw Update.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1