It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BeBopBandit
Newborn
Newborn
BeBopBandit

Male Join date : 2012-08-14

omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! Empty
PostSubject: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Ugh, this is so disgusting but Bandit is turning out to be a sh*t eater. Never his own though; he's eaten our cats poo and then today he found some poo in the backyard that he gobbled down. I'm pretty sure it was cat poo because there are lots of feral cats in our neighborhood, and I know they chill in our yard and driveway. I tried chasing him away but he thought it was a game and just ran around me in circles before darting back to the poo to eat more. I ended up having to drag him away from the poo by his neck, and he turned around to bite me and then there was sh*t all over my hands. Not a good day.

I called the vet already so I'm not that concerned about him getting sick. I'm pretty much just beyond disgusted that he's a poo eater! How do I get him to stop?!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:02 pm

when you find out a way to stop it let me know lol!

in the past yr sierra has started to pick up dried poop on our walks, they are always small ones so either cats or small dogs as no one uses their back yard to let their dog do its thing!!!! i just try to spot it before she does and she is not left sniffing one spot to long as that tends to lead to poop. as for your back yard i would say you should do a poop pick up every morning before letting him out, as he gets older and starts eating the cats they should stop coming by, thats what happened with us, well a few still pop in but either dont stay long or never make it back out.....

Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:12 pm

I've read that faulty crate-training can lead to dogs eating their own poop. Do you know how he was kept before he came to you?

Also, cat poop is basically doggy candy. Or that's what I've experienced from my friend's dogs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:25 pm

jbealer wrote:

Me too!

DanielleCortez wrote:

Also, cat poop is basically doggy candy. Or that's what I've experienced from my friend's dogs.

Pretty much. Our old lab mix when I was a kid would constantly break into the litter box, so we finally put baby gates up. I started that right off the bat with Ghost so we haven't had issues in the house. Outside however, is another story. We have a bunch of feral cats running around too (rural FL Panhandle here) and they constantly crap in our yard. It's like a smorgasbord for Ghost omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! 1625187496

The best we can do is fortify the yard so they don't get in in the first place and try to pick it up as we see it. Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
BeBopBandit
Newborn
Newborn
BeBopBandit

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:32 pm

Danielle, we got him when he was 4 weeks so he hasn't had any other owners. Plus, he doesn't eat his own poo, just cat poo. And now I can't stop thinking of cat poo as doggie candy...thanks guys lol
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:38 pm

BeBopBandit wrote:
Danielle, we got him when he was 4 weeks so he hasn't had any other owners. Plus, he doesn't eat his own poo, just cat poo. And now I can't stop thinking of cat poo as doggie candy...thanks guys lol

You're welcome Razz

4 weeks, holy cow! How old is he now? We've had some discussions about pups leaving their mom and siblings too young around here, I'd highly recommend taking a look at them. There is a lot of socialization that goes on between 6-8 weeks, and you may have a bit of a bite inhibition problem on your hands. We have a few members who got their pups that young, and I'm sure they'll be happy to give you advice on socialization.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Back to top Go down
BeBopBandit
Newborn
Newborn
BeBopBandit

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:44 pm

He's about 8 months now, and yes biting is a problem. Its getting better, slowly but surely. Yea, I know 4 weeks is too young to take them away from their mom, but the guy told us when we came to look that he was leaving the country in a week. He was going to be adopted one way or the other.

When it comes to socializing, Bandit sucks. He's too eager and doesn't listen when other dogs growl at him to stay away. People keep asking us why we don't take him to a training class at Petsmart; well, its because he would be too distracted by other dogs and we'd basically just be paying for a wasted class. But its worth pointing out that most of the dogs he has been around so far are much smaller than him, so maybe once he gets around same size dogs it won't be an issue.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:46 pm

jbealer wrote:

Me three! maggie eats horse crap.

A lot of the dogs at my work are poop eaters, I bet their owners like to know too! lol lol!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 10:00 pm

Kerian eats duck Crap there is a pond by the dog park. lol!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 10:08 pm

Marmot poop on the mountain is the best treat ever, says Sierra and Jack!

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 10:40 pm

So we often wonder why our dogs keep getting worms.

omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! 1625187496
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 10:41 pm

lol! This post made me laugh! My dog's have been eating cat poop for years! I asked my vet about it and he said dog's love "Kitty treats"!

The only way I keep my dog's out of the cat litter is by putting a baby gate up and every now and then I'll catch one of them crying behind the gate, because they can't get out hehe.

As for outside ... all poop is fair game! yuck! omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! 1625187496
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 12:35 am

Cally eats cat poop :/ I had to move the litter box so that it is blocked in and facing the other way so now my cat has to jump on top and then down to the other side... oh well, whatever works right? lol Cally also likes horse poop. Yay for me, I've got a poop eater too Wink
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 1:09 am

Lol such an interesting discussion.

Let's see, Dakota doesn't touch dog or cat poo but he does enjoy elk poo.

Glory doesn't eat any poo that isn't hers, she loves to eat her own poo fresh out of the factory...disgusting! She'll turn right around after she goes and start chowing down while it's still hot! Lol We've been using a distract and redirect technique to stop her and it's worked very well. Only very rarely will she eat her poop now and it's never when it's hot off the press anymore.

Faith is such a diva we're lucky to even catch her sniffing poop, she wouldn't dream of eating such a thing no matter what animal it came out of. The little miss priss is just too good for that!

Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 1:14 am

Huskyluv wrote:

Glory doesn't eat any poo that isn't hers, she loves to eat her own poo fresh out of the factory...disgusting! She'll turn right around after she goes and start chowing down while it's still hot! Lol We've been using a distract and redirect technique to stop her and it's worked very well. Only very rarely will she eat her poop now and it's never when it's hot off the press anymore.

lol!

That's *hilarious*!!!! Disgusting, yes, but still hilarious. Thankfully ours stick to the cat poo, but Lulu likes to turn around and watch the tootsie rolls come out. Disgusting little dogs!

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 1:19 am

Tootsie rolls! ROFL!

Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 1:44 am

Lucian's snack of choice in the back yard is rabbit poop. omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! 1625187496 He has a bacteria in his system because he eats it. He's like a little four legged vacuum cleaner. He runs out there and instantly finds it.
I know there is no way I'm going to be able to go out there and find the rabbit poop before he does. So I'm trying positive distraction training with him. I'm hoping it works, and he stops eating it. If he keeps it up he's going to have to be put on medication. Vet said not to bother with it yet since he doesn't have full blown diarrhea. More like formed, but mushy.
Never touches his own poop though, he'll sniff a little and walk away. It smells horrible. Lol.
Back to top Go down
BeBopBandit
Newborn
Newborn
BeBopBandit

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Thanks for all the responses! This thread sure made me laugh Laughing
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 2:13 pm

Glad to see I'm not the only one! My dogs are picky about their poop choices.

Pooka, the chi, won't touch it. He's a good boy.

Herc, the lab, will eat any and all poop, but it tends to get worse now that it's colder. Guess he likes his frozen.

Callie doesn't eat anyone's poop but the chi's. She doesn't touch poop on walks, at the park, nothing. Only the chi's. I. Don't. Get. It.

So for her, it's an easy fix. I just pick up the chi's poop all the time. Herc, I gave up on. Plus, not my dog, not my problem kind of deal. My mom can fight with that.

As far as dogs that aren't picky like Callie, I have no clue. There's tons of products for dogs that eat their own poop, though I don't know how effective that is. For other animal's, I guess the only fix is to watch like a hawk and have something yummier (ewwww) on hand to offer as an alternative.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 3:45 pm

Juneau eats poop too, UGH! Not her own though. I think it's racoon poop or cat poop. Very small. At work, I'd walk her around the grass and all of a sudden she would lurch forward and dive in the grass! I was like, "WTF"?! Then I see her smacking her lips and I crouch down and smell poop! I quickly pulled her away from the poop. Now whenever we walk outside, she goes for that spot EVERY time and I have to direct her somewhere else. Ugh lol.

Thankfully we don't have any foreign poops in our yard lol.
Back to top Go down
zizzuki
Puppy
Puppy
zizzuki

Female Join date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 2:39 am

OMG!! zizzy just recently started her poo fascination! Sad

A couple weeks ago I caught her sniffing too much in this one spot. then saw her pick it up and i couldnt get to her in time. Mad

since then, shes gotten it one other time (that i know of) and she even got yuki interested in it.
ugh. i wish someone had a suggestion. :/ i hope it doesnt get worse.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 9:02 am

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_PoopEating.php

My friend's dog does this. She gets really lonely/bored while her owners are at work and eats her own poop.
She comes for visits to my place for sleep overs and has Freya to play with. I've also got 2 kids and am a stay at home mum so have pleanty of time for the dogs. There is also alot of stimulation to be had here. As a result she doesnt eat poo while she's here with me. As soon as she gets back to her owners place she's back to the old habbit.

There are lots of reasons why she might be doing this - Habbit, hunger (maybe you need to assess the amount of food you're giving her?), nutrition (perhaps look into different brand of food?), bordome (is she getting enough mental and physical stimulation?)
These are just suggestions as to what the problem may be so you can get an idea of it yourself. I'm by no means accusung you of not feeding your dog enough or anything like that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
shadowwarrior57
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 9:25 pm

This is my first post on the forum! XD Forgive me if this has already been said, but my experience with dogs (2 shih-tzus, 2 black labs, and now two huskies) has been that if they are eating poop it's generally one of two things.

The most common is that they aren't getting enough of something in their diet, it may be time to take a look a husky's food. You may need to change to a higher quality food that has minimal to no grains, and high protein content. My wife and I feed Buster and Logan Blue Wilderness - Chicken flavor. I'm not endorsing a brand, just saying what has worked for us.

Second, it could that your husky is removing what he/she sees as a territorial marker, whether just to do so, or to make it their own.

Just my two cents Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!   omg he's a poop-eater! HELP! Empty

Back to top Go down

omg he's a poop-eater! HELP!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1