It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 5:01 am

And the Dam has both done
http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1362530#animal
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 5:41 am

Jennet - The faults that I really see in Ares are:

Ears too big/set awkwardly (I can't really place my finger on it but I think it's because they are too big that I think they are set weird). Too narrow front (could be the stack/picture)/straight front. Short neck for length of body(?). (to me) short muzzle (picture maybe?) too round eyes. I wanna say slightly weak topline (in the last picture?) and maybe a bit weak in the pasterns?

One that will be on the fence dependent on who you ask (really all of the evaluations will vary because everyone interprets them differently - like I don't place any value on color/markings [aside that I have my personal favorites] because the standard says any color from black to all white is accepted) but just because his length of coat is not a SHOW coat does not necessarily make it incorrect or even a fault. IMO I think his coat is a wee bit too short to where it would be a fault but if you look at the pictures of the imports their coat lengths varied greatly (from the extremely short to the more "heavy" coats). Even the early show dogs had quite a bit of variation. I would not necessarily fault him for his coat. As someone close to me has said "Who said you have to have a show coat to have proper angles"

Advantages: I like his overall head. I like his stop. I really like his rear. I like his length of leg . I think if you brought his front legs under him a bit more in that last picture (they're a little too far stretched forward) I think he has a nice profile overall (I also prefer a little less coat than is the fad in the show ring). Looks to have decent reach/drive from what I could see (that bush decided on an inconvenient time to photobomb you!)

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 12:46 pm

Okay... if someone wants to do Koda for fun, that'd be cool. I've been told by a few people in the past that he has near perfect ear conformation, but I don't know how accurate that is.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 DSC06763
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 Dsc06510
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 4219_546077629103_858304_n
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 Dsc07610
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 67329_577247259913_4950032_n

ETA: He was a stray/rescue. He would never make it in the show world anyway because he has a severe overbite which throws off his muzzle. This is just for fun cause I'm curious Smile

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 12:49 pm

I would love to get everyones opinion on Hayden. His breeder use to show her Huskies and told me before we purchased Hayden that he was a special dog and she had a really good feeling about him. The vet told me he has a very slight overbite and I think he maybe a little big compared to standard size, he's 26".

I tried taking some free stacked pictures of him a few minutes ago. They didn't turn out the greatest, but you can sorta get an idea. Smile

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 399218_178379655640224_1024461655_n
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 29576_178380555640134_1757497273_n- he started moving and took a step in this picture
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 531912_178379972306859_1605987098_n got lazy with his ears
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 531842_178380425640147_760388751_n
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 539513_518789434805111_1017556921_n
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 383407_437726962911359_1677480532_n
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 12:55 pm

I'd agree with what was said about Ares, too straight in the front/lack of chest. Without knowing (perhaps I missed it) how old he is that *could* change. He's got a nice rear, and appears to have a nice gait. Tail set too high, ears too big. Nice eyes and overall face.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 12:59 pm

Koda wrote:
Okay... if someone wants to do Koda for fun, that'd be cool. I've been told by a few people in the past that he has near perfect ear conformation, but I don't know how accurate that is.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 DSC06763
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 Dsc06510
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 4219_546077629103_858304_n
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 Dsc07610
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 67329_577247259913_4950032_n

ETA: He was a stray/rescue. He would never make it in the show world anyway because he has a severe overbite which throws off his muzzle. This is just for fun cause I'm curious Smile

Koda does have nice placed ears, but they are too big for his head. He doesn't have much stop from what I see. He appears to have a nice rear and nice tail set. Nice length of leg
Back to top Go down
zizzuki
Puppy
Puppy
zizzuki

Female Join date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 1:07 pm

zizzys awkward ears.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 18084_10

question....ive never been told by any show people before that zizzys front is too straight.
i dont even know what that means lol.
clarify please?
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 2:37 pm

A Siberian should have a presence of chest, by standard they should have a chest that's deep and strong, but not too broad, with the deepest point being just behind and level with the elbows. The ribs are well-sprung from the spine but flattened on the sides to allow for freedom of action. Faults: Chest too broad; "barrel ribs;" ribs too flat or weak. Having no chest can also interfere with the movement and functional ability of the dog. I believe that you should be able to comfortably place your hand (3-4 fingers depending of course on your hand size) between the front legs on the chest while the dog is in free stack.

Denali has a nice presence of chest-
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 488323_364471103621124_202489018_n

Ember also is a good example of a nice chest piece-
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 429072_271129286288640_2056948265_n

This dog, aside from other obvious faults, to my eye has no front-
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 SiberianHuskySidStand
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 5:30 pm

Hayden_69 wrote:
I would love to get everyones opinion on Hayden. His breeder use to show her Huskies and told me before we purchased Hayden that he was a special dog and she had a really good feeling about him. The vet told me he has a very slight overbite and I think he maybe a little big compared to standard size, he's 26".

I tried taking some free stacked pictures of him a few minutes ago. They didn't turn out the greatest, but you can sorta get an idea. Smile

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 399218_178379655640224_1024461655_n
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 29576_178380555640134_1757497273_n- he started moving and took a step in this picture
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 531912_178379972306859_1605987098_n got lazy with his ears
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 531842_178380425640147_760388751_n
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 539513_518789434805111_1017556921_n
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 383407_437726962911359_1677480532_n

From what I can see; straight in the rear (I wanna say he's very close to slipped hocks/straight hocks? could be the picture though) and front. Wide in the front. Too big ears/set wide. Too round eyes/eye set is off. WAY too tall at 26". Too much leg. (for me) too much stop - but that's my preference.

I do think he has a nice length of coat and I want to say his tail set is decent but I can't really tell in the pictures. I think that second to last picture is the best - and he actually looks very nice in that picture. (This all goes back to being able to make a dog appear extremely nice in a picture but if you put your hands on the dog they aren't as well put together or vice versa)

Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 6:10 pm

Hayden_69 wrote:

Yes too tall for a Siberian! Though I do like his length of leg, we are losing that in a lot of show dogs IMO. Body proportionally is there, he's just a big guy. His muzzle to head proportion is way off, and the stop is too drastic for my liking. From the front he's got a sweet face though, very soulful eyes! His chest does look too deep, seeing him move would be a better determination of that though. He does look straight in the rear, but I think that could be he's stacking under himself on the slick wood floors (I've seen mine do that on our wood floors and there is no structural reason for it). Seeing him on a more stable surface would be a better judge of that. He's not much in angulation in these pics...but pics don't tell us everything!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 7:03 pm

HuskyMom09 wrote:
I'd agree with what was said about Ares, too straight in the front/lack of chest. Without knowing (perhaps I missed it) how old he is that *could* change. He's got a nice rear, and appears to have a nice gait. Tail set too high, ears too big. Nice eyes and overall face.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it, I'm glad I got him neutered lol. He's only 11 months, so he still has a lot of filling out to do.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm curious as to what your opinions are about my girls. I'd like to know what their faults are and if they have any good points at all. I cant get them to stay in a stacked position and take a pic by myself so all these are natural.

Maya
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 2cynwap
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 2ngfngo
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 Zmxnb5
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 2sb8kkk
Sophie, she's still really skinny.
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 O9fi1u
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 16glef5
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 38sw0
Kay, our rescue. she has a little bite mark on her face
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 2z8rpzc
There was a squirrel outside
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 352nd07
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 2r3ggft
Her back end is on a hill
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 28bhcnc

Kay's fur still hasn't grown back in from her spay.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 7:24 pm

Thanks guys for the input! Smile

Most the pictures I uploaded for quick ones in the kitchen. He does tend to sit and walk funny on the hardwood floor and he makes odd facial expressions and ear movements when he's on them too lol. I'll try to take some better pictures in the future and get some movement pictures too!

I'll post pictures of Nicky too once she fills out a bit more. She is almost 9 months old now, is it too soon to tell what she will be like or could you tell now?
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 8:56 pm

My girls started showing at 6 months, you can get a pretty decent idea from a young age how they are put together and how they should end up.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 9:06 pm

They say from 8-10 (12?) weeks a puppy is structurally similar to how they will appear as an adult (of course things can and do change which is why we have puppies who are "pick" that end up not turning out as they mature). A "mini" version, if you will. Which is why many breeders make their "picks"at those times.

Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 9:16 pm

That's what my breeders have told me too Ceara- I'm inclined to believe the 43+ years Susan has in the breed. I'm very pleased with the girls I picked out at 8 weeks with her guidance. There are those that surprises even the experienced eye, but they should be structurally similar and end better than what you see at 8 weeks.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 3:40 am

Okay so here are some okay free stack photos of Anna. I'm sorry for the blurriness and bad pictures, Anna doesn't understand stay still. Hahah. Anyways I can't show her as she has limited registration and has been spayed. I don't know much about showing but I love to learn and I would just like to know the opinion's you guys have. The only thing I think I know something about is her tail and her blue eyes, am I correct in saying those are both faults? Sorry as I said before I really don't know much but I thank you guys in advance!

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 D4f8ed023f1ede5c90fdb0c6c4ec4f97_zpsc47028ab
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 124bc8750503ce74b90b3db4ef1b5daf_zpse4e55d15Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 587e0b3f74b1500ef37bcf94647784b7_zps6bfb154f
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 6135356cd2231c05e6239afd3c63f161_zpsec4681c1
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 4:58 am

I don't know a whole lot, but I know a little bit.
Blue eyes are not a fault, judges just tend to prefer brown eyes because they make them look less round.

Her tail is way too snapped, my girl has it too. Her eyes are too round. Ears are large and off set. Her snout is long and sharp. Does she have an overbite? weak topline, no rear

It's hard to tell from photos and not actually seeing the dog, she looks like she has a nice chest and leg length though
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 1:53 pm

Okay, thanks! She does have a slight overbite.
Back to top Go down
zizzuki
Puppy
Puppy
zizzuki

Female Join date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 5:43 pm

oh man i love annas coloring Very Happy
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 6:06 pm

zizzuki wrote:
oh man i love annas coloring Very Happy

Awh, thank you:) she is my big baby!
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 10:23 pm

anastasiya'smom wrote:
Okay so here are some okay free stack photos of Anna. I'm sorry for the blurriness and bad pictures, Anna doesn't understand stay still. Hahah. Anyways I can't show her as she has limited registration and has been spayed. I don't know much about showing but I love to learn and I would just like to know the opinion's you guys have. The only thing I think I know something about is her tail and her blue eyes, am I correct in saying those are both faults? Sorry as I said before I really don't know much but I thank you guys in advance!

Here eyes are too round which is her eye fault not the color, ears too large and wide set, the over bite gives her too sharp of a muzzle which just looks a bit off but a nice smile, I do agree nice chest and length of leg, narrow cow hocked rear, snap tail.
Back to top Go down
SolitaryHowl
Puppy
Puppy
SolitaryHowl

Female Join date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Nice pictures everyone...I'm afraid if I ever end up getting a purebred Sibe, I might not like how small they are!

I tend to like the bigger dogs (at least 70 pounds), and from what I've seen...Sibes are considered a medium breed (30-50 pounds...depending on the gender, of course)??

Or, maybe I'm just used to having a 77 pound Sibe X Mal. Razz
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 7:42 pm

The range is 35-60 pounds. They are medium sized. If you ever look to getting a purebred and want a large dog a Malamute would be the way to go as they are roughly supposed to be between 75 and 85 pounds with weight in relation to height/size

Back to top Go down
SolitaryHowl
Puppy
Puppy
SolitaryHowl

Female Join date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 7:46 pm

Niraya wrote:
The range is 35-60 pounds. They are medium sized. If you ever look to getting a purebred and want a large dog a Malamute would be the way to go as they are roughly supposed to be between 75 and 85 pounds with weight in relation to height/size

I figured a Mal would be a better choice. But aren't Mals usually REALLY hairy (kinda like a 'wooly' husky?). I don't like that characteristic in Mals...

If I could have my way, a 'Suka sized' dog with a similar coat type (smooth and flat) would be ideal!! But no way would I ever consider buying a crossbred puppy from a breeder - only if it was dumped at the shelter would I snap it up!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 27  Next