It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 3:54 pm

I was gonna say - I'm talking about Cataracts. Hips isn't a problem within the breed among show dogs.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Ha - i think I need a nap.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 4:08 pm

Is the reason JC isn't so strongly controlled because it doesn't have much effect on the relative health dogs besides being a minor visual obstruction? Just curious. Both of my Chihuahuas have congenital juvenile cataracts which are not progressive in either dog. Both dogs are rescues however I am lucky enough to have their papers and their background information. Faith comes from one of the litters of a successful show breeder and has a nice pedigree with many champions in her lineage and she has hereditary JC. Glory (Faith's daughter) comes from a BYB and her sire's pedigree shows nothing worthy of note and of course her dam is Faith. The JC do not impair them and will not keep them from living long, healthy lives which is the reason for my question.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 4:11 pm

It depends on who you talk to Val - but I think the reason it is so prevalent in Siberians is because before we could test it in our breed, we bred and bred certain dogs that were winners. These dogs were carries and we didn't know until we had already spread it everywhere.

Siberians are from a relatively small gene pool originally, things like this just happen.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 4:21 pm

JC can be much more than just a 'minor' vision impairment, it can also be quite painful and even more so to surgically correct. I agree the reasoning behind why it's so predominant and feel the reason the numbers remain so high is due to the fact many of these BYB and 'hobby' breeders don't bother to health check because that's "only for show dogs".
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Agreed Lani - CD is minor in comparison. JC can be very scary.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 5:28 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Agreed Lani - CD is minor in comparison. JC can be very scary.
My dog has CD. (I have no clue about his origins, but most likely a BYB somewhere in NC). It may or may not progress according to my vet (just a regular vet - not a board cert ophthalmologist). So far his vision seems unaffected. (He was neutered before I got him, so hopefully never had an opportunity to pass it along)

I was in contact with a show breeder a while back and was asking about their breeding stock's CERF and OFA status (among a bunch of other questions.) I was asking things beyond whether or not their dogs are tested because I was curious about things like how old was the dog when he had his last eye exam (because some eye conditions don't show up until later); OFA fair versus good and excellent. Things like that. Anyway, they didn't even acknowledge those questions! Does anyone else find that odd, or could I have offended them somehow? Gahhh I need to find a good mentor near me. (and eventually a good show pup)
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 5:34 pm

I wouldn't go to a breeder that wouldn't answer my questions, Samantha. You may just need to travel outside of your area to find a decent breeder.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 5:49 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
I wouldn't go to a breeder that wouldn't answer my questions, Samantha. You may just need to travel outside of your area to find a decent breeder.

Most definitely! I immediately scratched them from my list. I was just really disappointed because the hubby is a higher up in a certain breed club, so I thought they might be more helpful.

Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 7:06 pm

I would love opinions on Kale! I'm not very good with conformation and haven't done much research in that area. I would love to know his faults.

Side View

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 Img_0211

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 Img_0212

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 Img_0610

Side of face

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 Img_0912

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 Img_1012

Front of face

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 Img_0213

Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 7:51 pm

I will reply abotu Kale in a bit - but that watermelon pic was ADORABLE
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks! He love's watermelon Laughing I just realized that I don't have a pic of his tail, it does curve into a sickle in the middle of his back when standing still, and the tips of his fur touches but his actual tail does not. When walking his tail curves slightly to the left side over his back, still not touching (only his fur touches).
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 8:57 pm

Realistically the main faults I see are eyes too round, the tail set in the first pic looks too high (which is where the drastic curve carriage would come from), to me he looks down on his pasturns a bit in the front. I'd like to see a movement shot personally to really be able to judge that. He's cute though, and the watermelon pic is precious Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 9:58 pm

He has a permanent limp from his left shoulder. I haven't gotten a CT scan yet to see what the cause is. He's had 4 X-rays of his elbow and paw, and all came back clear. You are so right, his eyes are more round than show dogs I see. So interesting to compare! When I get home I'll try and find a movement pic, or I'll take one Wink
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 10:26 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
Okay I'll post Razz So I don't think Ares is too bad, when he was younger he had a nice ear set, but I don't know, he's not really growing into them Sad

Ares gaiting
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 549686_3450977085253_1681872502_n

7 months
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 185871_3455448637039_806687213_n

his front
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 536593_3455449277055_1542454711_n

and a self stack at 10 months
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 561594_3838348449295_553236737_n

Can you guys tell me what you think of Ares, he's the only one I've considered showing. The only fault I've been told was his lack of coat, but I've only had one person give me an opinion that bred huskies.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 12:16 am

Jennet, is he out of standard? I know you had said he was pretty tall
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 12:38 am

Nope he's actually shorter then both Embry and Zoey, I think he's pushing 21" at 55lbs
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 1:24 am

Hmm well,

Faults - I think Ares is a bit narrow in front, but could just be the picture. Pretty straight front. large ears. high set tail. could use a bit more coat, I don't think that would keep him too warm in the tundra!

Advantages: Nice stop. really dark nose. nice top line. nice markings.

He would do decent in UKC altered, i'm sure.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 1:28 am

Yeah I was told before he was altered that he could probably get his CH pretty easily. but I wouldn't even both putting him in AKC lol!

Thanks Megan Smile
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 1:33 am

Altered they CAN be more forgiving, but you can get some really good dogs in it. Linda, out of Qudos, had a dog that was structurally wonderful and had a great coat, nice face, just a great dog. He would have finished so fast - but he was cryptorchid. now he is with Kevin and has his first show in UKC altered this weekend. He will probably win it all.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 4:23 am

This was supposed to be the sire and dam of my puppy, but Ares crashed those plans. But I wouldn't trade him for anything

Sire: CH Kristari's Black Tie Affair
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 Tie

Dam: CH Kristari’s Sneak Attack
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 Sneakersmajor

I love Tie so much Sad
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 4:27 am

Jennet, are they not OFA/CERF tested? I can't find them in the database.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 4:54 am

I'm pretty sure they are, I asked her and she said they were. Sneakers isn't owned by Kristari, just co owned but I know Tie was scratch
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 4:55 am

Her site says he's clear CERF and OFA excellent
http://www.kristarisiberians.com/html/tie.html
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 5:00 am

I found him, in OFA she lied on her site though. His OFA score was good
http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1275883#animal

but I found nothing on CERF
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 27Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 27  Next