It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:27 am

If you want to post that go ahead. I have stacked pictures of my girl from I think 4,or 5 weeks on up to 8 weeks.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Hollyfrost
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:32 am

n/t n/t

Last edited by Hollyfrost on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:50 am

Its just how he is stacked. Lol

I think we will wait for the pictures you get to make any evaluations Smile

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:59 am

Aw! He's a cutie! Do you have pix of his parents stacked?
Back to top Go down
Hollyfrost
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 11:24 am

n/t n/t

Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 11:32 am

Very handsome boy. Smile
Back to top Go down
Hollyfrost
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 12:01 pm

n/t n/t

Last edited by Hollyfrost on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 11:12 pm

Can somebody tell me how Stark is coming along? He's in no means a show dog or anything - strictly pet quality. Just thought it'd be fun to find out. Smile

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 20131117_172612_zpsb3f9bc63

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 20131117_172620_zps4a5558b8

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 20131117_172640_zps9eb6da19

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 20131119_204254_zps66ba8347

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 20131119_204305_zps0d29bb96

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 Xperia9112013010_zps7ddc8a38
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 1:39 am

Sorry guys, I am so swamped the last few weeks. i will get to this as soon as I have the chance to really devote time to an evaluation.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 3:25 pm

http://www.worldwideboxer.com/movement1.html

I thought this was pretty awesome.

Back to top Go down
Hollyfrost
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 3:37 pm

n/t n/t

Last edited by Hollyfrost on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 9:16 pm

The only thing I don't like about that boxer thing is that they drew in the angle on the shoulder wrong. They make it look like that dog, even though a drawing, has a lot of angulation in the shoulder, where is actually has a really straight front. They did good with the angulation on the back leg though!
Back to top Go down
staarshadow
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 9:04 pm

Hello!  I was hoping to be able to show my girl Isis.  Went to a show for the first time today (just to look, she wasn't entered) and got some comments that her tail would be a fault.  When she's excited it  curls up and just touches her back.  They suggested I could work with her to keep it down low, but I was hoping to get a bit more specific of an evaluation to see if it's worth it to even try.  She's 8 months old right now.  Thanks so much!  So glad I found this thread!

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 Img_2711

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 Img_2712

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 Img_2713

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 Img_2714

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 Img_2715
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 3:41 am

Black backgrounds and dark clothes are not the most ideal for black dogs to be able to see much. I can see she appears to be lacking croup which is likely where the tail fault is stemming from- if you can train the tail to stay down you might get away with that with some judges. However I would be far more concerned with her front, her shoulder angle appears too steep. Beyond that she's 8 months old and has some puppy awkwardness that I'd like to see how that develops before really evaluating much more.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Here is Diz just shy of 9 months. What I've been told is that he's short of loin and his front legs are a bit on the short side (both of which could change as he gets older). He has a sloping topline (which stems from his imported dam and is popular in Europe). He does not have good reach in his gait, but again that could change as he ages. Good lay back of the shoulder. The movement shot is from about 3 weeks ago, and I know he's grown since (you can see his neck is longer now). This weekend on his 9 month b-day, I'm going to try and get better stack pix and an updated movement shot. If anyone has any other opinions/thoughts I'd love to hear them. Smile

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 1441304_10202788684982648_10152381_n

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 1454638_10202788683022599_1492446059_n

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 1385342_503546083086890_1985925735_n

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 1452533_503546183086880_1284203115_n
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 2:23 pm

staarshadow wrote:
Hello!  I was hoping to be able to show my girl Isis.  Went to a show for the first time today (just to look, she wasn't entered) and got some comments that her tail would be a fault.  When she's excited it  curls up and just touches her back.  They suggested I could work with her to keep it down low, but I was hoping to get a bit more specific of an evaluation to see if it's worth it to even try.  She's 8 months old right now.  Thanks so much!  So glad I found this thread!
Personally, I think its worth working with her, even if you don't end up showing her, or if she doesn't turn out. My puppy has a retained testicle and in all likelihood, i'll end up having to neuter him, but I'm still taking him to handling class, and I've learned a lot from working with him, and plan on continuing to do so. I know others have done the same thing. If you look at the first page of this thread, you'll see a dog named Bella. I don't believe she was ever shown, but her owner still took handling classes and worked with her, and now has Mechta. So even if Isis doesn't end up ever going in the ring, you can take any dog to handling classes and get yourself ready for that 'dream' dog. Smile Plus its something fun to do with your puppy! Also, if she does turn out, you don't want to have to scramble teaching her all the stuff you should have been working on already. Smile Get her ready, and hope for the best.
Back to top Go down
Hollyfrost
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 4:47 am

n/t n/t

Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 5:54 pm

Jen- Dizzy is looking nice! For 9mos old there aren't things I'd be overly critical about, there is still so much time for growth...however one thing I'd watch, and where that lack of reach is coming from, is his shoulder angle. His shoulders are very steep, if that doesn't change by the time he's 2 then worry. Of course I totally agree, it's about working with them and having fun either way-

Caroline- My concerns are the ears are very high and too large, eyes are too round, tailset appears too high, and flat splayed feet. He has nice pigment, his head looks proportionate and a nice stop, very nice solid color, coat looks appropriate. Wait and see Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Hollyfrost
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 6:01 pm

n/t n/t

Last edited by Hollyfrost on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 8:13 pm

Thanks for evaluating Lani! I've heard that about his movement from a few people, thanks for clarifying about his shoulder angel. We'll see what happens. Smile thanks again!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 2:48 am

Before I evaluate anyone but Dizzy (only because I know Jen is looking at this from a conformation point of view) I want to make it clear that any comments made are not to demean the dog or owner. If I say a dog is pet quality due to certain features, it's only meaning the dog is not good breeding stock. Every dog is wonderful in its own way - that does not mean it should be bred.

I hope everyone understands.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 3:13 am

wpskier222 wrote:
Here is Diz just shy of 9 months. What I've been told is that he's short of loin and his front legs are a bit on the short side (both of which could change as he gets older). He has a sloping topline (which stems from his imported dam and is popular in Europe). He does not have good reach in his gait, but again that could change as he ages. Good lay back of the shoulder. The movement shot is from about 3 weeks ago, and I know he's grown since (you can see his neck is longer now). This weekend on his 9 month b-day, I'm going to try and get better stack pix and an updated movement shot. If anyone has any other opinions/thoughts I'd love to hear them. Smile

Alright, here is my take on Dizzy - but be open minded because he can change on a weekly basis at that age. I remember Cato suddenly having more leg than he knew what to do with right around 1 year old.

I can see the issue with the drive, but it's nice movement. I'd bet that leg will lengthen just fine. In one of the pictures, his pasterns look a little weak. Try walking him up hills or up stairs to help.

I like his coat, it's very nice.

Ears are a bit long, that may change has his face fills out. Right now the face is thin and it takes some time before it rounds out. Eye shape is nice and I love the dark brown! Is there anyway to get a side view so I can see his stop and muzzle length better?

Length of neck looks nice in the more recent pictures - but I can't comment on his front because that is one part you just have to touch. A great breeder-mentor taught a few of us how to correctly evaluate fronts and I would need to put my hands on him.

Rear angles look nice - but that's hard too..only because of fur! Tail length is nice.

I know you said the top line is sloping, but you may see that change when his legs even out.

I hope my eval helps!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 9:53 am

Megan - That helps a lot! Thank you! Tomorrow is picture day so I'll get a side profile shot along with my other updated pix.

Everyone else - yes, please understand if/when your dog gets evaluated, it comes from comparing your dog to the ideal standard. Every dog has faults, some less than others but that doesn't mean your dog is "faulty" and keep in mind, there is no physically perfect dog. Know what I mean? If you have a puppy that was not purchased as a show prospect (the breeder had a reason for this), chances are the puppy will have things considered faults and the conformation evaluation/discussion will point them out, but nobody is saying you have a crappy dog. Smile Also evaluation is subjective to an extent, while both would fall within the range of the standard, one person might prefer longer length of leg, one may prefer slightly less. All in all this thread is to help us learn about the standard and no one evaluating is coming from the perspective of being snobby or rude. I might take a crack at some of the other pups later, but if I do please note that I'm super new at this and most of what I've learned about my pup has been pointed out to me by other, more experienced people. Basically, I could be way off. Smile
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 4:04 pm

UndarthAngipoo wrote:
Can somebody tell me how Stark is coming along? He's in no means a show dog or anything - strictly pet quality. Just thought it'd be fun to find out. Smile

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 20131117_172612_zpsb3f9bc63

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 20131117_172620_zps4a5558b8

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 20131117_172640_zps9eb6da19

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 20131119_204254_zps66ba8347

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 20131119_204305_zps0d29bb96

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 Xperia9112013010_zps7ddc8a38
Okay, I'm gonna try my hand at this. Smile keep in mind I've only been learning about the standard and conformation for a few months, so I'm not even close as experienced as Ceara, Lani, or Megan. This is a learning experience for me too. If I make any glaring errors, hopefully someone will correct me. Smile

To me, Stark looks like Siberian's I've seen that are from racing lines. His length of leg is what makes me feel that way. So on that note, I'd say his length of leg is too long. His hocks look especially long to me. I think he has nice bone, meaning the 'weight,' (heavy vs. light). A lot of the show dogs I've seen have really heavy bone. I feel like Stark is balanced and I like that. Smile

Nice straight topline and length of neck (I always notice this because Dizzy had no neck for a while).

He's very well conditioned and healthy looking.

Coat - not sure when these pix were taken. Is he out of coat? If not, the coat is too short and not plush enough. How old is he again? Could he be between puppy and adult coat?

Head - nice stop, nice length of muzzle. I like the ear set, but because of the light coat (or being out of coat), they look too long/large. If his coat comes in and his face rounds out, they will look fine. Eyes too round.

I like his markings. Very pretty!

Any chance you could get a shot of him in movement?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 4:14 pm

HuskyMom09 wrote:
Caroline-  My concerns are the ears are very high and too large, eyes are too round, tailset appears too high, and flat splayed feet.  He has nice pigment, his head looks proportionate and a nice stop, very nice solid color, coat looks appropriate.  Wait and see Smile
Interesting you mention his feet, I've been told Dizzy has 'dainty' feet, that they should have an oval appearance, but Dizzy's are more round. I'm interested in his ears as well, they are very tight! Did they take longer than the other puppies to stand up?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 17 Empty

Back to top Go down

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 17 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 27  Next