It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Advice on these crates??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
megg123
Newborn
Newborn
megg123

Advice on these crates?? Empty
PostSubject: Advice on these crates??   Advice on these crates?? EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 10:41 pm

I am looking for crates that I want to get for my new dog that I will be bringing home. I want to go ahead and get one he can grow into, so Im looking at ones with dividers. I also didnt know what the difference between ABS trays and metal, and which one is the best choice..
These are some I am considering

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foldable-Black-42-3-Door-Dog-Cage-Crate-Kennel-with-Metal-Tray-Divider-/170814094604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c5503d0c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Dog-Cage-Crate-Suitcase-Folding-Animal-Kennel-Pet-Puppy-Pen-ABS-Tray-Pan-/281028346303?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item416e9841bf

if there are any sites or recommendations you all have please feel free to let me know!!!
Back to top Go down
gocavs627
Puppy
Puppy
gocavs627

Female Join date : 2012-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Advice on these crates??   Advice on these crates?? EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 am

http://www.tractorsupply.com/black-single-door-pet-crate-91-110-lb-weight-range-2401498

This is what we have for Kane and Halligan. They were 18 months and 12 months when we got them, but this crate does come with a divider. The tray is plastic, easy to clean and remove if you need to, and has a latch thing that keeps it from sliding out. They haven't tried to chew on it yet. Also, neither has escaped from it. They are 60+ lbs and have a world of room to move around in there. I'd recommend this one, personally.
Back to top Go down
kas.krankenschwester
Newborn
Newborn
kas.krankenschwester

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Advice on these crates??   Advice on these crates?? EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 1:06 am

Hi there, new to the site.
I had crate issues myself and bought one off eBay. Great price, lasted 2 months. Rischka tore the first door up by ripping off the wires, so I zip-tied it and put that door against a wall. Shen then bent wires on the second side door and escaped one night while I was at work. Luckily I work nights and she was too sleepy to destroy the house.
I ended up bungee cording the second door and had to pick her up and put her in the kennel through the top door.

she does have severe separation anxiety too however.
I bought this kennel: http://www.dogsupplies.com/products/Empire-Dog-Crate-Heavy-Duty-Dog-Cage.html

Yes, the large cost me about $420-430 total, but she likes it more, it's durable (have the bruises to prove fighting it putting it together). The floor they lay on has slits so if they do potty it will drip into a metal slide out pan, I put pee pads in it to help with the mess. Advice on these crates?? 2013-013
Advice on these crates?? 2013-014

Sad, I know!
Back to top Go down
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

Female Join date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Advice on these crates??   Advice on these crates?? EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 1:31 am

This thread is old but i figured I'd share anyway! We bought a crate off of Amazon for about $36. It has double latches on the front and a slide tray. It's the 42" with a divider. We put a dog bed in it and positive crate trained him. He's never had an accident and loves his crate. It's his safe spot. Smile
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Advice on these crates??   Advice on these crates?? EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Figured I would share on our crates...we have an iCrate which is found at a lot of tractor/feed store and through midwest pet products. It looks similar to your pictures. This comes in numerous sizes folds down and can have numerous doors. I reccoment the get your crate for the adult dog and use the divider. We did and it works well for Bourbon. If you can get itt local you do no thave to pay the shipping, which helps too. Definately shop around we did and found the same exact crate $80-125 with and w/o shipping. So the local at 85 was great.
Now what did not work for our last dog(husky/wolf) was the plastic snap and click style he ventually started thinking it was a chew toy. It is now safe have and "home" for your Aussie.

Wolfbandit
Puppy
Puppy
Wolfbandit

Female Join date : 2012-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Advice on these crates??   Advice on these crates?? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 1:24 am

Honestly, I don't even use a 'crate'. I use an XL pet carrier for my female husky's cage. She ate the bottom (the tray) of TWO crates (Steele's and one that came with her) so into a pet carrier she went. She loves her pet carrier. It's more den-like, being enclosed on all sides, and there's no way for her to get stuck in bars or anything. With any dog with separation anxiety, I'd recommend one of these. It helped her tons (even though yours is a puppy, I'm assuming?)

Pretty much this. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3195394&lmdn=Carrier+Style&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

For Steele, I used a traditional wired crate his whole life. It was also a petsmart brand, XL, even though he was a puppy. It came with a divider but I never used it. He's out of a crate, though, now and is loose in the house 24/7.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753745&lmdn=Crate+Style&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

Just make sure for the wire crate you pick one that has an easy-to-remove bottom tray. Makes cleaning up potty accidents SO much easier.

I'd check around on your local craigslist (if your comfortable with that) for crates. You can often times get fantastic steals on them. Also, look into Amazon. You can sometimes get a deal (and free shipping!) if you order through them.
Back to top Go down
Alicia22
Puppy
Puppy
Alicia22

Female Join date : 2013-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Advice on these crates??   Advice on these crates?? EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 8:22 am

kas.krankenschwester - what size indestructible crate did you get? Are you able to put make shift dividers in there? I am getting a puppy next month and want this crate but doesn't look like I can put dividers in seeing how the door is on the side of the crate and the front
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on these crates??   Advice on these crates?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice on these crates??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1