It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Vet won't give me a script

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

Vet won't give me a script Empty
PostSubject: Vet won't give me a script   Vet won't give me a script EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 2:20 pm

I'm curious if anyone else has ran into this problem with their vet. I went and ordered some Advantage Multi, from 1800petmeds.com. I got an email from them saying my vet required a script, and I needed to call the vet. So I called them, and they told me they won't write me a script because Lucian is still a puppy, and his weight is going to change every month. I'm well aware of this, and if he went over the weight limit on the stuff I wouldn't give it to him. They told me he will have to be weighed every month, and I can get the flea, and heartworm stuff from them. Well here's my problem. 1-I have to drive out there just to get him weighed, which is using up gas. I could just sit at home, and wait for the mail.
2-They charge $16 for 1 dose of the heartworm meds. I can get a whole 6 month supply for $37, of the EXACT same stuff!
So I'm really thinking all they are trying to do is rip me off. But really what choice do I have at this point. He is already scheduled for his neuter there next week. I'm seriously thinking about switching vets after his neuter. There's no point in switching now, I'd just have to take him for an office visit else where. Which would mean more money.
I'm forced to pinch pennies right now, as our financial situation has taken a downhill turn.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Vet won't give me a script   Vet won't give me a script EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 2:30 pm

I agree, that is BS. It sounds like they are ripping you off. I've ordered from 1800petmeds.com for heartgard when Juneau was just 2 1/2 months (obviously she has doubled in weight). Did you pick the green one, 25-50 pounds (or something like that)? That's the one you need.

There is an option on the website where you have 1800petmeds. CALL your vet. Pick that one. So now they go through the paperwork process and you don't have to. Just give them your vet's phone number. If your vet has any questions they can call you.

Another site for Heartgard: allvetmed.com and http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9464

I hope that helps! So sorry your vet is being a pain. If you try to pick a different vet to go through, they will probably want to have a check-up with your dog first to make sure you're buying the right size and everything. Don't quote me on that though.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Vet won't give me a script   Vet won't give me a script EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 2:32 pm

I would tell them if they're insisting you purchase from them by refusing to give a script- they should price match. And if they don't threaten to leave and find another vet. Heartworm chewables last for 45 days, not montly so you can stretch it to that.

Adtantage Multi treats heartworms, fleas, and internal parasites... I'm confused to you give a separate heartworm medication in addition to that? Heartguard Plus has a weight range of 26-50lbs which should be sufficient for a 5 month old Husky for 6 months... You can also copy his heartworm negative results and fax it to 1-800 petmeds... Maybe bypass the vet completely and get a separate flea/tick topical which doesn't require Rx

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

PostSubject: Re: Vet won't give me a script   Vet won't give me a script EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Pet meds did call my vet, and denied them the script. That's why I called them, and they gave me that load of BS about not writing a script cause he's under a year old. I picked the one that was 20-55lbs. He's hovering right around 30lbs. They think I'm an idiot or something, and if he outgrows it I'm still going to use it. Rolling Eyes

I think I am going to see if they will do something about the price. I wanted to put him on the advantage multi, they've been giving me one thing for flea, and one thing for the heartworm. But for the heck of it I checked to see how much the heartworm stuff I've been getting from the vet cost at pet meds. I had the feeling I was being overcharged.

He's never been heartworm tested, since he's just a puppy. They said he didn't need to be tested for it cause he wasn't around last summer.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Vet won't give me a script   Vet won't give me a script EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 2:45 pm

If he's never been heartworm tested there's no way around it unless you take him to a low cost clinic, have it done there, and write down THEM as the vet, and have 1800petmeds call them. Or have a new vet do the same.

Otherwise you're stuck with that vet. And do they honestly think he's going to be 50+lbs in 6 months? Razz

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Vet won't give me a script   Vet won't give me a script EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 2:49 pm

Hmmm - that's odd. Have you thought about just using Advantage or Advantix? If you are already using heartgard that should be fine, and you can buy them at Petco or Petsmart even.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Vet won't give me a script   Vet won't give me a script EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Keyda81 wrote:
Pet meds did call my vet, and denied them the script. That's why I called them, and they gave me that load of BS about not writing a script cause he's under a year old. I picked the one that was 20-55lbs. He's hovering right around 30lbs. They think I'm an idiot or something, and if he outgrows it I'm still going to use it. Rolling Eyes

I think I am going to see if they will do something about the price. I wanted to put him on the advantage multi, they've been giving me one thing for flea, and one thing for the heartworm. But for the heck of it I checked to see how much the heartworm stuff I've been getting from the vet cost at pet meds. I had the feeling I was being overcharged.

He's never been heartworm tested, since he's just a puppy. They said he didn't need to be tested for it cause he wasn't around last summer.

Well don't look at the price per dosage of Ivomec...then you will really feel like they are scamming you. Because when it comes to this stuff, HW and Flea protection are money makers.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

PostSubject: Re: Vet won't give me a script   Vet won't give me a script EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 3:08 pm

I'm going to start getting the flea stuff from pet meds. I guess I'm just stuck getting the heart worm meds from the vet for now. Nothing else I can do about it. They won't give me the script until he's a year old. It just irritates me that they charge so much more than need be. I don't take being ripped off lightly.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Vet won't give me a script   Vet won't give me a script EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 5:22 pm

my vet gives me a hard time about online HG meds and i think claudia posted something about the dangers of getting the meds online.... i got our HG meds from costco after the vet would not match costcos price, when i asked costco where they got the meds it was from an online company, oops. so I need to decide what im going to do when were up.
good luck

Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Vet won't give me a script   Vet won't give me a script EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 5:39 pm

Getting pet medications online can be risky if you're going out of the country. Within the country they fall under US law and can't sell fraudulent medications for pets.

Christina- We stopped purchasing heartworm medications from our vet and instead purchase ivomec from feed stores. It is at a different % dilution so there is math involved... But having 6+ dogs (including fosters) it is much better for us financially to buy the huge bottle and dilute as needed. I paid $60 (which is high) and will last a very long time. Shelf life will probably have it expire before i'm actually done w/ it. It's another option for you.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Vet won't give me a script   Vet won't give me a script EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 5:59 pm

I did the math for lani (Huskymom09) and at 40 for teh 50 ml bottle of Ivomec, she got 21 months for 11 dogs (.2 cc per dose)
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

PostSubject: Re: Vet won't give me a script   Vet won't give me a script EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 7:25 pm

That's not a bad idea. I'll have to look into that. I just want him to be protected, without getting ripped off, lol.

My aunt suggested I try out her vet. She had nothing to say but good things about them. I'll look into them for his next visit. I guess it's a fairly new place, with younger doctors that are all up to date on the newest stuff in pet care. But they are also fairly priced, and didn't try to cram all kinds of useless things down my aunt's throat.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Vet won't give me a script   Vet won't give me a script EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:22 pm

My vet gave me a hard time at first when I asked for RX for Heartgard . They told me well we guarantee ours if the dogs get heartworms while on the heartgard. Guess what? so does Fosters and Smith. And I got 6months for each dog for 72.00. My vet charges 113.00 for a 12 month supply! They gave me the RX when I asked them to price match! Also I give my lab fish oil in her food especially in winter because she gets a dry coat. They charged me 42.00 for a large bottle, I found the exact same thing on Amazon for 22.00! I always check Amazon, or fosters and smith first! As long as I can find the same thing, I buy elsewhere!
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Vet won't give me a script   Vet won't give me a script EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 12:35 am

I asked about heartworm meds today (and deworming meds as well) and was told that because we are in the great NorthWest, heartworm meds are required. Is this true? I don't know. As to deworming, her fecal came back negative for anything so she doesn't require it. I just wanted to make sure I had all my bases covered. I also found out I could get the shots they've been charging me a butt ton for myself and give them myself. Wish I had known that sooner, I went to nursing school, giving shots was my favorite part!
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

PostSubject: Re: Vet won't give me a script   Vet won't give me a script EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 3:30 am

I wouldn't go without the heart worm meds. I lost my Roxzanna to it a little over a year ago. Lesson learned the hard way I guess. Still feel horrible about it, but there's nothing I can do now, but prevent it from happening to Lucian.

I'll do some more research in the morning. Look at all my options. But I am going to change vets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vet won't give me a script   Vet won't give me a script Empty

Back to top Go down

Vet won't give me a script

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1