It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WintersMomma
Newborn
Newborn
WintersMomma

Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( Empty
PostSubject: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 7:43 pm

We have adopted a 2 yr old female yesterday morning from the humane society. She was dropped off as a stray so they have no history on her. She was recently fixed while in the HS and was supposed to take her pain meds with food.. But for some reason she won't eat?
We bought different flavors of wet dog food, I believe it was pedigree. And this morning I went out and bought Nutro Max Grain Free with Farm Raised Chicken(lots of forms recommended it for huskys) but she sniffed and walked away.

Does anyone have any advice? Is this normal?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 8:02 pm

It's very common for a Husky who's undergoing changes to not eat.  She's just been spayed which gives her a tummy ache - which is change with the added insult of pain.  She's just been adopted (thank you!) so she's going through a lot of change - relax and give her time to adjust, she'll start eating.

Pain meds - if she's okay with you, hold her mouth open and put the pill (I presume it's a pill) as far back in her throat as you feasible can, then hold her mouth shut and stroke her throat, it helps her to swallow the pill. If she objects, then let it ride ... you don't need to get bit and she doesn't really need the stress. 

Dogs often don't display the pain they're in, so it's probably more important that she get the medicine than hope for her to eat.  In fact, if she get's the med then there's a chance that she'll feel more like eating.

How about a picture or two ....??

And again, thanks for rescuing her!!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
WintersMomma
Newborn
Newborn
WintersMomma

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 8:50 pm

Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( 20171212
Back to top Go down
WintersMomma
Newborn
Newborn
WintersMomma

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 8:51 pm

Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( 20171213
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 8:58 pm

Awww... she looks like one sweet little girl. She looks so much 'at home' in the second one.

I see you're in for one of the joys of owning a Husky, it looks like she's starting to blow her coat - are you prepared for hair everywhere??? (mine typically 'rough up' on the tops of their hind legs first - that's what I think I'm seeing there)

Back to top Go down
WintersMomma
Newborn
Newborn
WintersMomma

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Oh yes! She is a couch lover during the day and she was not shy to hop right into bed with us last night either!

They advised me to get a comb and a undercoat rake when we got her. We're hoping to take her to the groomers when she gets all healed up.
Back to top Go down
WintersMomma
Newborn
Newborn
WintersMomma

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 9:06 pm

And thank you for the advice on giving her the pills, it worked! She did great and didn't try to pull away or anything Smile
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 9:10 pm

You're welcome. And I really like that first picture of her.

Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

Female Join date : 2017-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Wow, she is really pretty! So happy for you both.

Grant goes through phases on food frequently, but he tends to eat whatever I cook without protest as long as it's what the family is eating for dinner. Sometimes I bait him by putting chicken, steak, or whatever I cook (with spices rinsed off) on top of his food, just to get him started. Handfeeding never fails. Maybe it's worth a try?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Aw, she's beautiful. Thank you for rescuing her.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 11:46 pm

She's a beautiful girl - so happy you have rescued her. Now...as to her not eating, like others have said, I would just give it time. My very first impression when I looked at those pics..she's anxious and afraid. And my brain says, probably in pain. I've seen that face tons of times from Z'ev, my foster, the past year. Give her time, choose a food, put it out for 20 minutes, put it away until next feeding time. Have you tried just plain kibble? Once, I thought to give Ami a treat with canned food...walked away from it. Same with my cat.

And I'm right there with Al...she's about to blow coat. Z'ev is looking the same way (but of course...Ami is just about finished with his coat blow Razz )

Give your girl an extra ear rub for me...
Back to top Go down
WintersMomma
Newborn
Newborn
WintersMomma

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptyMon Dec 25, 2017 3:30 am

Thank you all so much! I finally got her to eat a half can of steak and veggies wet food Smile Shes doing a lot better I feel, she was very excited this morning and ran around the house so happy!
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

Female Join date : 2017-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptyMon Dec 25, 2017 10:47 am

Yay! What a relief.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 12:43 am

See, told you! Now prepare yourself for a normal Husky!! Smile

Back to top Go down
IamtheAlpha
Puppy
Puppy
IamtheAlpha

Female Join date : 2017-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 2:32 pm

Awww she is so gorgeous! And yes, thank you for rescuing. She is lucky to have you. Although this comment might be too late, but when we adopted our husky, Kota from her foster dad, she didn't eat much for a few days. She was trying to get acclimated with us and was anxious and confused the fact that she was in a new home. We were definitely worried but she came to and started eating regular meals.

Have fun with her!
Back to top Go down
Dani's_Dad
Newborn
Newborn
Dani's_Dad

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 10:29 pm

Thank you for saving a life! Huskies are incredible dogs. All effort invested in her will be returned 10 fold.

Give her some time to settle in. She has been through quite a bit of stress. She will be licking her lips at the thought of tasty food in no time.
Back to top Go down
WintersMomma
Newborn
Newborn
WintersMomma

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 5:34 am

I had to show everyone how happy she has become since we adopted her! We has a white Christmas and she loved it!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 11:54 am

Yep, she looks like she was having a ball. But it only takes me a quick view of that to realize why I moved down here. (( Took a look at my 'homes' weather and while I'm basking in a chilly 36, they're at -13 with lake effect snow! ))

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(   Adopted 2yr old wont eat :( Empty

Back to top Go down

Adopted 2yr old wont eat :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1