It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Too much Daycare?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
frontz
Newborn
Newborn
frontz

Female Join date : 2012-12-18

Too much Daycare? Empty
PostSubject: Too much Daycare?   Too much Daycare? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 3:25 pm

Roo normally gets walks from Stacy everyday and maybe goes to day care once maybe twice a week. Stacy will be out of the country for 6 weeks visiting family and I have to work everyday so Roo will be going to daycare from 7AM - 4:30PM everyday. She's always exhausted when she's home and the people their say she's constantly playing. Could too much daycare be bad?!? I worry because she only about 6 months old, but I don't have any real alternative exact keep her in her crate all day, which isn't fair to her.

Thoughts?!?

Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

Too much Daycare? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Daycare?   Too much Daycare? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 3:37 pm

Personally I don't think it is bad, I wish I could put mine in daycare all day! I do keep mine in their crates all day except for the hour I am home for lunch, so they spend about 7 hours a day in the crate, and I hate it, but I cannot afford the $25 per dog per day to put them in daycare.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Too much Daycare? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Daycare?   Too much Daycare? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 4:27 pm

From someone who works at a daycare... 5 days a week for 6 weeks is a lot. I know you think it's cruel but personally it really just may be better to do it 2-3x a week with rest days at home in between. It's really too much constant stimulation for them. Not to mention the bad habits they tend to pick up.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
frontz
Newborn
Newborn
frontz

Too much Daycare? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Daycare?   Too much Daycare? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 5:42 pm

My gut was saying it would be too much. But, having her in her crate for that long I don't think she'd be able to not go to the bathroom in there.... So, that's a concern as well.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Too much Daycare? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Daycare?   Too much Daycare? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 5:49 pm

Could you have a dog walker come by to take her out on the days she doesn't go to daycare?

Newborn
Newborn
frontz

Too much Daycare? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Daycare?   Too much Daycare? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 6:03 pm

I'll be making some calls to some friends tonight to see if someone can help out!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Too much Daycare? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Daycare?   Too much Daycare? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 7:57 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Could you have a dog walker come by to take her out on the days she doesn't go to daycare?

Kristina knows daycare and i would only do it a few days, im with Val, take the $ you would spend every day on daycare and find some one to come walk her on days at home, leash training would be good Smile and then you may form a good bond and have a sitter for when you both want to leave town for a few days Wink

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Too much Daycare? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Daycare?   Too much Daycare? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 8:41 pm

I know some doggy daycare have 'nap time' so they play a couple of hours in the morning, then all the dogs go in kennels over lunch for a couple of hours and they clean up the play areas during this time. Then they are in play time again for the afternoon. Would it be possible to ask your doggy daycare for 'nap time' for a couple of hours during the day on the days you do take your pup to daycare?

Newborn
Newborn
frontz

Too much Daycare? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Daycare?   Too much Daycare? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 10:55 pm

thats a good idea! right now i have a friend who will come and walk her on wednesdays. so, they will break up the week nicely. thanks for the recos.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

Too much Daycare? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Daycare?   Too much Daycare? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 11:32 pm

When I was working at the training kennel, I used to leave my dogs at the facility operated daycare, which was its own building and half acre of fenced areas, from 6:30-5:00ish the five days of my working week. The daycare was really very good about making sure the dogs took breaks in 4x4 runs every couple hours, to drink some water and just lay down. They even made sure to feed mine their breakfast every day for me, and always kept them on breaks for a good 2 hours afterwards for me. Every daycare is a different facility, but at least in my experience, daily daycare wasn't a problem for my dogs over a long period of time.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Too much Daycare? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Daycare?   Too much Daycare? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 1:12 am

It depends on the facility and the staff. After we adopted Frosti, her separation anxiety made it unsafe for her to be home and crated while we were at work, so both our dogs went to day care 5 days a week for a long, long time. They ARE older than 6 months, though. I have seen the day care staff take particular care with puppies to socialize them, play with them, train them and separate them to give them down time. Not at all facilities have staff this savvy, so I'd definitely check it out and see how the facility works.

While my pups haven't picked up any bad habits, I do see that they are better behaved at home and with us than at day care. They seem to recognize it's play time and that it's limited to that context.

My dogs loved their time there so so much, that they still go back a couple times a week to play with their friends - we arrange play dates with fellow husky parents. They come home happy and tired!
Back to top Go down
eluke81
Puppy
Puppy
eluke81

Female Join date : 2012-12-25

Too much Daycare? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Daycare?   Too much Daycare? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 4:13 am

if you get a dog walker make sure they are husky experienced - and know that they are escape artists too - my girl would pull on walks like no tomorrow - no one would have expected that from her calm, sweet demeanor, and for someone not knowing her, to have walked her would have be very hard to do.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

Too much Daycare? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Daycare?   Too much Daycare? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 2:35 pm

I work at a doggie daycare as well. I agree with Kristina. I am able to bring Maggie to work with me even her needs breaks even though we have nap time. I only take her 2 to 3 a week. they really do need a break. we have dogs that get in fIghts and they are there every single day.

I am the resident sled dog girl. people come in asking for someone that knows northern breeds. I am that girl. haha
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

Too much Daycare? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Daycare?   Too much Daycare? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:53 am

I also agree that it is too much, especially right now with her being 6 months. I know some people think that 6 months is when Siberian puppies are out of the woods for damage to their growth plates, but I don't agree with that. I would be very concerned about my 8 month old puppy being at day care that much. She is very hyper and would go all day every day if she could, even if she was hurting. Especially the fact that daycare is usually all play, I would be a little worried.

I agree with checking out the facility to see if they have special play groups for puppies, or if they throw em all together and let em play! There are only certain daycares around here who have certain play groups for puppies and work specifically on socialization skills, which means they are more expensive. If they don't have split groups, I would pull her out at least two days of the week.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Sponsored content

Too much Daycare? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Daycare?   Too much Daycare? Empty

Back to top Go down

Too much Daycare?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1