It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Your huskies behavior at the vet?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

Your huskies behavior at the vet? Empty
PostSubject: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Just wondering how everyone's husky acts at the vet. Lucian likes meeting new people, although he will dodge pats on the head most of the time. I took him in this morning for his neuter, and he flat out does not like being touched in "that" area, lol. He freaked when the vet tech went to check him. He made it perfectly clear he didn't like being touched around his hind quarters. He even went to nip at the vet tech. I held him when the doc came in to check him, but he was still very vocal about it. Again making it clear he didn't like them back there.
He's fine with me touching him anywhere, he could care less. Not sure if it's something I should worry about or not.
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 1:43 pm

Saber's pretty good but he's used to going as we have a standing vet appointment every two weeks. He's also an old man lol! But, if he has to be leashed onto the stainless steel lift (which isn't often) he has a FIT! Starts screaming like someone's torturing him. He handles most other things without a peep out of him.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 1:58 pm

My last dog was pretty bad about being handled. Just wiping feet was difficult. So when we got Lola, as part of her training time, I handle her feet, ears, look in her mouth and such. Treats and praise. I think it has made a difference.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Maya and Sophie just get a little scared and let the vet do whatever to them, then they go to the door wanting out as soon as possible. Maya's better then Sophie and just stands there, Sophie kinda just shrivels up and lays down. The vet i take them too always think they're going to bite them, Sophie just looked at him and he jumped. Kay lets them do whatever too, she loves people. But she doesn't like having her back end touched, it's a pain to try and brush her back there because she doesn't want it to be touched. I'm working on touching her back legs more frequently so she'll get used to it.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Lucian has never cared for being touched. They had to check him a few times, to see if his one testicle dropped, and he acted like he was being tortured. Even when I took him in for his first set of shots at 8 weeks, he threw a fit.
He's fine with me handling him. I can grab his muddy legs, and feet to be wiped off, and he just stands there. I think he knows with me he's not getting away with it, but still tries it with the vet.
Another hour and a half, then I can call and check on him, hopefully I can pick him up around 3pm. I feel better once he's home, and I can get some food in him. I felt awful this morning not being able to give him breakfast.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Both mine are pretty good about everything that the vet, except for having their temperature taken...They HATE it! But they don't even flinch with the shots. Yukon wasn't even bothered when he got microchipped.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:45 pm

Mine don't even flinch over shots too, but the vet was surprised. He said that huskies are usually big babies. Are they big babies?
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:47 pm

MayaAndSophie wrote:
Mine don't even flinch over shots too, but the vet was surprised. He said that huskies are usually big babies. Are they big babies?

That's what my vet said too! She said they are very sensitive and usually put up a fight with shots and she was surprised that mine don't seem to mind. Just don't come near him with that thermometer!
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:48 pm

MayaAndSophie wrote:

Mine said that too, that's what I was trying to figure out with this thread, lol. Lucian was fine with shots as well. Getting his temp taken, and the vet feeling around bothered him more.
I'm just not sure if I should be concerned about him biting one of them either. He was rather nervous. The doc said she was going to take him in first, didn't want him sitting in a kennel. I think that's because she expected him to be highly vocal. Razz
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 4:02 pm

Kale grew up at the vet! Lol I used to practice putting catheters in, and drawing blood from him. He just gives you his arm for a blood draw LOL. He's incredibly friendly and gets offended if ALL the staff don't say hi lol he has no problems on the table or being laid on his side on the table. BUT, like I said, he's been in the environment since he was 5 weeks. (I use to take him to class with me everyday) the only thing he get wide-eyed about is the temp, but I don't blame him lol. Kale is actually our hospitals blood donor dog since he is so good about blood draws, and I only live 2 blocks from work.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 4:17 pm

We've only had one vet visit, but it was super easy.
Korra didn't even mind the temp part. She was a little startled, looked behind her, looked at me, and tilted her head at me, like "Ummm, mom?" lol
But that's about it. I touch her everywhere every day, I have since I got her. She has learned from day one that no place is sacred. Including her butt (no, I don't stick anything in....ewwww... but she is used to having the area poked at).
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 4:21 pm

jschrader wrote:
MayaAndSophie wrote:

That's what my vet said too! She said they are very sensitive and usually put up a fight with shots and she was surprised that mine don't seem to mind. Just don't come near him with that thermometer!

My vet said this too! He was also surprised that my boy takes shots so well. Saber likes to watch what the vet's doing to him haha!
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 4:25 pm

hypers987 wrote:
Kale grew up at the vet! Lol I used to practice putting catheters in, and drawing blood from him. He just gives you his arm for a blood draw LOL. He's incredibly friendly and gets offended if ALL the staff don't say hi lol he has no problems on the table or being laid on his side on the table. BUT, like I said, he's been in the environment since he was 5 weeks. (I use to take him to class with me everyday) the only thing he get wide-eyed about is the temp, but I don't blame him lol. Kale is actually our hospitals blood donor dog since he is so good about blood draws, and I only live 2 blocks from work.

I wish I could take him to the vet everyday, but it would cost me a whole ton of money, lol. He's fine with me touching him everywhere. I guess he only trusts me. I've been his main care taker since day 1. Hubby feeds him on occasion when he decides to be nice and let me sleep in. Which isn't very often. Lucian will let me wipe his feet, dry him off head to toe, brush his teeth, and brush his fur. He might put up a little bit of a fight, but not much.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 4:26 pm

Dot wrote:
Korra didn't even mind the temp part. She was a little startled, looked behind her, looked at me, and tilted her head at me, like "Ummm, mom?" lol
But that's about it. I touch her everywhere every day, I have since I got her. She has learned from day one that no place is sacred. Including her butt (no, I don't stick anything in....ewwww... but she is used to having the area poked at).

I grab Kale's butt fluff ALL THE TIME haha I come up from behind him, grab his cheekies, and say "buttcheecks!" he looks at me like "O god, not again, this lady is crazy!" lol but it did desensitize him to having his rear messed with! Laughing
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Blaze doesn't seem to have a problem with the vet.

Kerian got very upset with the vet when was going to take stool sample with the little plastic thingy, She gave him warning barks. This was only the 3rd time we had taken her to the vet the vet mussle on her.
I really did not know what to expect from her being she was 2 years old and a rescue. After that she really does not like the vet much.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 4:38 pm

Lycus has always been good with the vet. He MUST say hi to everyone and get pet before going in lol. The only thing that scared him was the temperature but he took it well overall.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 4:56 pm

hypers987 wrote:
Dot wrote:

I grab Kale's butt fluff ALL THE TIME haha I come up from behind him, grab his cheekies, and say "buttcheecks!" he looks at me like "O god, not again, this lady is crazy!" lol but it did desensitize him to having his rear messed with! Laughing

lol! Thank you for sharing that. I'm pretty sure you just made my morning.
I love butt fluff!! My old girl had a lab coat but still had fluffy butt. I got in trouble with my dad when I was like, 9, for taking our walky-talky (when people still used those, lol) and broadcasting to every channel that "Haley is a fluffybutt." Repeatedly. Hehe.
I can't wait till Korra's butt fluff comes in. Lol.

Question though, how is the microchipping done? My rescue didn't have it, and I guess it would've been good to get but we never did. Korra is absolutely getting hers (as soon as I find a new vet, didn't like my last visit). Just curious what to expect.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 4:58 pm

hypers987 wrote:
Dot wrote:

I call Lucian "fuzzy butt" I'm always petting his butt, lol. Guess he doesn't have a problem with me, just everyone else. Razz
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 5:03 pm

Keyda81 wrote:
hypers987 wrote:
Dot wrote:

I call Lucian "fuzzy butt" I'm always petting his butt, lol. Guess he doesn't have a problem with me, just everyone else. Razz

lol! I actually call Lycus "Fluffbutts" A LOT!
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 5:14 pm

The microchipping is easy, it's just a big needle. The vet holds them between the shoulder blades, sticks the needle in, releases the chip and that's it, done. It's definitely worth having for peace of mind.

Ghost is great at the vets but our other dog has been terrified of it ever since we got him when he was 2 years old. So whenever we take Ghost to the vet (which is all the time), we take our other dog too. He gets to sit in the waiting room, meet all the staff who are lovely to him, have a nice time and get made a big fuss of, and then goes home again. It's taken a lot of the stress out of it. Also our vet is fantastic. At his last vaccinations, after they were done the vet sat and gave him lots of treats so he was really happy by the time he left. And I've had to desensitize him to wearing a muzzle because he often has to wear a muzzle there, just to be on the safe side.

I think if you can get them used to going to the vet and being handled when they are puppies, it makes life much easier later on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Ghost wrote:
The microchipping is easy, it's just a big needle. The vet holds them between the shoulder blades, sticks the needle in, releases the chip and that's it, done. It's definitely worth having for peace of mind.

Thanks Smile Yes, I'm all for the microchipping, my last dog wasn't really my dog though, this one's all mine and she's totally getting it done.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 5:35 pm

Bodhi is good at the vet's. He is friendly to the techs and the vet.
He doesn't flinch for shots, but he doesn't like having his temp taken, and I have to hold his head.

After we have been there awhile, he starts pacing.
He lies by the door as if to say "Get me outa here!"
I think he can smell other dogs in distress.

Sometimes I call him "Mr. Fluffy Pants!"
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 5:55 pm

Ghost nailed it on microchipping! It's a HUGE needle. lol I always recommend doing it when they are under for their neuter/spay, but I got Kale's done with his year shots and he didn't even notice! I was shocked! He was to excited that he was on the table in everyone's face and eating vitamins! haha
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 7:23 pm

I got Nunya's microchip done when he got his second puppy shots done. He didn't flinch of any of the needles, but he reacted to the bordetella and started SCREAMING. Luckily he made the connection that the vet's treats were what caused him pain, not the vet, so he cuddled up to her while he was screaming and cowered away from the food
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 7:29 pm

Both mine are fine at the vet, they always get praised for being "such good huskies," haha. You can do whatever to Rogue and she doesn't have a care in the world. Koda is fine with everything but his butt being messed with and has to be handled a certain way- I always tell them to let me hold him if they need to do a temp or fecal sample as he is fine if I'm distracting him.

They love our vet though. Always give her a high five right when she wants in the door for a treat and then give her their bum to rub.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your huskies behavior at the vet?   Your huskies behavior at the vet? Empty

Back to top Go down

Your huskies behavior at the vet?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next