It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Am I wrong about this vet or?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 5:17 am

Ouch Shocked . Some may look down on this, but I got Sheba's puppy shots done at a low cost spay/neuter clinic for $10. That also included a free heart worm check. By doing it that way, I decided when she would get her shots and how long I wanted to wait in between. It was a life saver for sure. Getting a puppy sucks away money pretty darn fast, so it was nice to be able to save on that.

Oh and I have CareCredit, so I asked around which vets accepted that and which vets accepted pet insurance. I have Trupanion, and odd enough, one of the reps for Trupanion is getting his dog treated at 5 elements as well (my holistic vet). If you are thinking about getting either of those as well, make sure the vet you chooses accepts one or both of those options.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 10:58 am

Always plan on spending a lot of money at the vet. You never know if they'll find something wrong even on a routine check up and you may need to pay for additional meds, tests, or procedures.

I wouldn't knock a vet over pushing Science Diet, almost all do and it doesn't make the vet bad. I am also cautious about judging them on their demeanor at first. Don't forget that they deal with a lot of idiot pet owners and don't know from appearance who knows what. It is important that they be respectful, but every vet I go to explains things to me like I'm a moron and I guess they kinda have to because they don't know how much I know or anything about me. I do judge them on how they interact with/handle my dog, how well they listen to and address my concerns/wishes.

I take my dogs to a fabulous holistic vet, but I know some people are put off by her demeanor. She is awesome, cares about her patients and their owners, she opts for holistic remedies first and foremost, she knows her stuff when it comes to dog nutrition and pushes raw (she sells pre made frozen raw and Orijen in her office), she handles dogs so gently to keep them relaxed and calm. But she is set in her ways and she seems to sometimes get impatient with people who don't have a clue (I haven't experienced her impatience but am going of what other people have said about their experience with her, granted those people were pretty clueless and not so open to paying her prices for more visits and alternative medicine). My point is, some people just don't like my vet but she is easily one of the very best I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Puppy
Puppy
GalacticPup

Female Join date : 2012-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 12:07 pm

I absolutely say by all means, find a different vet if you are unhappy with the attitude, demeanor, or personality of your current one!! I personally adore my vet- she is down- to- earth, extremely knowledgable, thorough & precise in all of her explanations, friendly, includes some minor humor (I find that a laugh here and there is always good when you possibly have a sick dog at hand!), shows a genuine compassion towards my dog, and just over-all leaves a great impression! Expensive, yes, but worth it 100% in my opinion. I, too, look very, very young for my age (23 going on 24, but appearing to be approximately 16!), so it means a great deal to me that I am treated with respect despite how I may appear. For instance, my mother and I went together for Maya's most recent vet appointment... we had some serious concerns regarding Maya's finicky eating habits and her getting adequate nutrition... as well as some questions regarding some recent behavioral changes. I did all of the explaining of these circumstances, providing detailed background on Maya's diet, routine, any changes in environment, etc... and I made it very clear from the get-go and I am Maya's "Mommy", and my mother is "Grandma", who came more for moral support and simple love for her "grand pup". Our vet spoke to me knowledgeably, in a very respectful tone throughout our visit. She made sure to continually make eye contact with both myself and my mother. I have to say, these are the little things when it comes to interaction with a professional that are quite important to me! So, long story short... by all means, find a new vet!!!
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 12:12 pm

I'll be finding a new one myself. Some of the techs at Lucian's current vet were great, but not the vets themselves. The one tech would take her time with Lucian, and try to make him more comfortable with her before doing his exam. But the other tech just came in the door, and thought he could go right to town on Lucian. Well now he's funny with meeting new people, and doesn't like to be touched by strange people. I know they don't have all the time in the world to make my dog comfortable during every exam, but they could take at least a few minutes to reassure him.
Back to top Go down
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

Female Join date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 1:07 pm

I'm not saying the vet was bad purely because she pushed science diet. I was just bothered because she acted like that was the only good food out there. I don't mind science diet, like I said. No problem with it.

She just had that patronizing demeanor that bothered me. I know she has to inform other people but she was just so "off" about it. I would tell her something I knew and then she would tell me se would tell me the truth and then repeated what I said. It was strange. I just want to not feel dumb around my vet and I want to be able to talk about anything.

Pricewise, I know it's expensive, and $80 is fine! I'm just worried that the visit would be $80 and my next bill would be $160. Now THAT is too expensive to pay next time and the time after etc.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 1:15 pm

CatDen wrote:
I'm not saying the vet was bad purely because she pushed science diet. I was just bothered because she acted like that was the only good food out there. I don't mind science diet, like I said. No problem with it.

She just had that patronizing demeanor that bothered me. I know she has to inform other people but she was just so "off" about it. I would tell her something I knew and then she would tell me se would tell me the truth and then repeated what I said. It was strange. I just want to not feel dumb around my vet and I want to be able to talk about anything.

Pricewise, I know it's expensive, and $80 is fine! I'm just worried that the visit would be $80 and my next bill would be $160. Now THAT is too expensive to pay next time and the time after etc.

Lucian's first few vet visits were around 150. So really that's not bad at all. Office visits where I live run between 40-50 dollars. Vet care isn't cheap. Just like if you went to the doctor with no health insurance. You wouldn't even get in the door for less than a 100 bucks, lol.
Back to top Go down
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 1:23 pm

That's crazy! My moms vet is super cheap. She lives about an hour south of Atlanta. This doctor is 24 hours and fantastic. He's just too far away from us. Haha. My mom usually pays about $50-60.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 1:25 pm

If you opted for a puppy package somewhere instead of doing everything individually, it could have saved you about 30-40% in the long run. That's why it is important to call around and do price checking. Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 2144500265
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 1:33 pm

The only place I've heard about a puppy package is at petsmart. Haha. I didn't even know they exhausted elsewhere. We went with this bet because three different people recommended her AND when I called to price check, she said $72 which sounded pretty cheap to me. I know to price check, but if something is pretty cheap, go with it. My only concern about price was that $86 didn't include the office visit price and next visit would. And the fact they charged us for a fecal test when there wasn't one.
Back to top Go down
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 5:30 pm

If you aren't comfortable with your vet I would look elsewhere. I've been very lucky with my cat and never had to take her in for anything other than shots, if I did I would think about looking for a different vet because my current vet doesn't seem to care for cats. He is very skilled, always does his job and tells me if everything looks good, expresses concern when she gets stressed and licks her hair off but I never felt he cared about her. With Bella, it's a completely different story he talks to her the whole time and seems more engaged.
Ultimately you should feel safe and secure in your choice of vets so if something rubs you the wrong way either confront the vet about it and find out why or just walk away.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 7:36 pm

I would switch vets too, no need to go to someone who can't talk to you like an adult. I picked my vet because he is the only one in town to handle birds and I also have those. So when I got Karli, she saw him too. And she loves the vet office. Now I'm price checking for spays and I may not go with my regular vet for the spay only because he's about twice as much as everyone else (he's known in town as the expensive vet) but the one I am looking at for her spay our animal shelter uses and they love them and haven't had any issues.

My only question on your bill was the influenza. Why was Alki given that? I know Karli was never given an influenza shot and if they had suggested giving it I would've refused. I don't take the influenza vaccine myself (don't see the need, I get sick more when I did take it then when I didn't) so why would I make her take it? Now, mine precharged for the fecal, but it was $7 cheaper if I prepaid for the fecal then if I had paid when I brought in the poop sample. Vaccines run about $20 a pop (I checked with two other vets after her first visit to make sure) but you are allowed to refuse any vaccines but the rabies one I believe. Karli is 5 1/2 months and only got the OK to go to the dog park right before she turned 5 months old. We just got her bordatella and Lepto booster and I don't think we'll be getting those again after what I've read on them. But if you are having bad feelings I'd find someone new.

Lucian, I'm currently in vet tech school and one of the first things we learn is how to approach a dog. You are supposed to approach slowly, let them smell you, and then start doing what needs to be done. If the tech didn't do that, he's ignoring an important part of his training. I'd complain to the vet if I was you.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 7:51 pm

It's Parainfluenza. We don't see it much because dog's are being vaccinated for it. Doesn't mean that they still cant get it; just like children now starting to get Polio, Yellow Fever, Measles and Mumps. They are still around, but we are all vaccinated for those. (DHPP- distemper, hepatits, parvovirus, parainfluenza.) Puppies need to be vaccinated for those, and when they become adults and their immune systems are fully developed, some of those can be disconnected and titer testing is adequate.

Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Quote :
(DHPP- distemper, hepatits, parvovirus, parainfluenza.)
That explains what that was...I knew it was for distemper I just wasn't sure what else was included. Any reason why Alki's influenza was given separately?
Back to top Go down
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 8:18 pm

Woah. Yeah. Haha. Did I just get charged twice for it? 0.0
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 8:19 pm

It wasn't premixed and freeze dried with the others. It needed to be reconstituted by itself. Some vets get the 5-in-1 and some prefer them separately. All are equally effective.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 8:19 pm

That would depend on what Dhppv stands for...
Back to top Go down
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 8:22 pm

That makes me feel a little better. Haha.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 8:24 pm

They need to change their codes...The paper should say DHPv, an just the influenza after. The Pv is parvovirus. Unless there's some new influenza in dogs going around in your area that the other vaccine won't cover.
Back to top Go down
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 10:20 pm

What's the difference between DHPPv and DAPPv?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 11:58 pm

H- hepatitis, A- adenovirus. Depends on what is more prevalent in your area.
Back to top Go down
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 12:03 am

Thank you! Vegeta got DAPPv today so I was just curious.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 7:14 am

IMO, vaccines are something very pet parent should be well versed in. If you don't want it give, don't. Mine had all of their puppy shots. Now they get tittered and rabies. I've never given bordatella, because its ineffective.

Personally, I don't think the prices are outrageous and I don't think the vet was out of line. I have a horribly non-people-person conventional vet, but he is intelligent, always remembers everything and is very good with my dogs. I stay with him because he has my dogs best interest in mind, even if he see,s condescending at times. You have to remember not all owners get on forums and do research. They are protecting your dog the best way they know how.

The vet visit is always complimentary if vaccines are given at my vet. That being said, my second and third visits were more expensive because of other tests, shots and microchipping. Then there was hw testing, meds, flea stuff. It's not cheap and dogs get more and more expensive. 150 a visit is normal. I have shelled out more than that at an e vet for my female. Consider the vaccinations a preventative Smile

If you are unhappy with the fecal, call them. If anything you should take one in. All pups should be checked.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Montana14
Puppy
Puppy
Montana14

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 10:36 pm

Your bill seems a little high to me, but I'm in Augusta so that might be the going rate. Montana's first round of pup shots was close to $70. The last 2 the price lowered, her last set only cost $50 and that included the office visit.

I love my vet! lol. He's an older guy and I'd trust him with my dog's lives. When Montana had her last check up, he said " I don't know what you feed her, but whatever it is stick with it. She looks great!" He respects our decision to feed our dogs what they need, you don't find too many vets like that anymore. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RogueBella
Newborn
Newborn
RogueBella

Female Join date : 2013-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 11:47 pm

The first P in DHPPV should be parainfluenza. This helps prevent kennel cough. And what as far as i've heard the Influenza vaccine is relatively new. Its helps with something kind of like the flu. I just started working for a vet and am taking some classes to learn about medicine, injections, and treating parvo. I work for a vet where it is a wife and husband team. She does the surgeries he does the exams. When I took Bella, my dalmatian for shots, it was anywhere from 100-150. Where I work now they will actually let you only get shots if you dont have the money to see the vet. The vet techs do the shots and they're in and out for half the price. Those who want to see the doctor get a discount of 8 dollars for their office visit for yearly shots and puppy shots. Usually the smaller, family owned vets are great to work with. Since i've been there the surgeon has came in every 2 hours after hours, along with the normal vet tech who has the night shift, just to make sure some of her patients are okay. It may take you a couple of visits, call around, and if you ever have questions about shots, vet office who really care about their clients will be more than willing to help you!! Your puppy is super adorable and is lucky to have owners who care enough to be asking questions!!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 9:09 pm

That bill looks very reasonable to me. I do suggest you take in a fecal sample, show them that you paid for it already though. Almost all puppies have some kind of worms, and you would want to treat that if he does. I disagree about the kennel cough vaccine though, my greyhound female had kennel cough from a trip to a pet store, it took time and several meds for her to get over it. After I started giving her the kennel cough nose spray thing lol, she never got it again. Buts its just my 2 cents Very Happy Brooke would know a lot more about that one then me for sure! Oh and my old vet, nothing was ever complimentary lol. I just recently changed vets and so far I love the new vets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong about this vet or?   Am I wrong about this vet or? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Am I wrong about this vet or?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2