It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Scratching

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Female Join date : 2012-11-13

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Scratching   Scratching EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Hello Everyone,
Its been a while since ive been on this site but i really need some advice on my puppie Kaos scrathcing. She does it a lot and Ive always just ignored it, thought maybe it was just a husky thing? Ive looked it up and everything that comes up says fleas, ive checked her as best i can and havnt seen any. I dont bath her very often as she is very good at cleaning her self but when she gets very dirty i do bath her with a wash for sensitive skin, but as i said before this is very rare. All her bedding gets wash often. For the most part she stays in the house, except for exercise and bathroom breaks. I have treated her with Advantage flea medication but stopped when it ran out. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Should i continue to treat with the flea meds even if there arent any there? Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratching   Scratching EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:00 pm

She may have allergies. You can also check for a mild zinc deficiency which can be common in huskies. I would ask your vet.
Back to top Go down
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratching   Scratching EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:28 pm

ok. I dont give her any zinc supplement. Ive got her on raw food and i supplement her with flax seed and kelp (i think kelp might have a bit of zinc in it but not a lot). Ive heard that too much zinc can also be bad for them so ive kinda stayed away from it. What woud be a good source of zinc i could give her and how much?
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratching   Scratching EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:31 pm

Too much can be as bad as too little so I'm afraid to tell you wrongly. I would ask your vet for advice because she is so young. You could try giving her vitamins, such as NuVet plus, which I have my pup on. It contains 10mg of zinc per wafer and other elements that may help her problem.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratching   Scratching EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:20 pm

With zinc deficiency, usually the first sign is hairloss, then itching. Very uncommon in puppies. If a puppy is already on puppy food and getting daily zinc, I usually wouldn't recommend extra supplementation. Itching can be caused by many things. Any lesions or red bumps anywhere on the body?
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratching   Scratching EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 1:27 am

No, no bumps or anything. Before she had a bit of an infection on her belly ( little bumps) but the vet gave me a cream and it cleard right up.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratching   Scratching EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 1:39 am

Does she fixate on one particular area of the body?
Back to top Go down
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratching   Scratching EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 1:41 am

No its all over the place. She'll scratch really hard in one spot then later it will be a different spot. thats why im so confused by what it could be...... Ive checked her as best i can for fleas and havnt found anything, but maybe i should try some flea meds?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratching   Scratching EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 1:56 am

How old is she? Puppies tend to go through a really itchy stage of puppyhood, don't know why lol maybe from growing? Like growing pains I guess lol treating for flea definitely wouldn't hurt.
Back to top Go down
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratching   Scratching EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 2:08 am

Shes 10 months....I notice it the most in the morning (If she sleeps on the bed she wakes me up with it)
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratching   Scratching EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 4:41 am

Have you taken her to the vet for some skin scrapings? Could be a skin parasite you can't see- Happened with a few of our fosters through the years.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
laura56083
Teenager
Teenager
laura56083

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratching   Scratching EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 8:17 pm

I am having this same problem with Selena! She even woke me up last night because she was scratching and nipping at herself so much. She doesn't have fleas, anything..I'm always brushing her and wiping her down with puppy wipes after she plays outside. It's mostly behind her ears and her hip areas.....does anybody think giving her a bath with an oatmeal shampoo would be of any help? I have never bathed her before and shes 4 months.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratching   Scratching EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Stark used to scratch a lot before as well. We started to notice a tiny patch of fur thinning on the top of his right front paw. We took him to the vet and turns out he had Demodex. Apparently, it's not unheard of in puppies since they would get it from their mother while feeding. Turns out there was another area on his back/shoulder by his guard hairs where the hair was thinning as well - we just couldn't see it b/c he was so darn furry!

You can try the shampoo, but if it persists, I'd probably go to the vet.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratching   Scratching EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Could she be growing more coat (losing puppy coat and getting her big girl coat)? That can be itchy for some dogs.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratching   Scratching EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:03 pm

Eresh wrote:
Could she be growing more coat (losing puppy coat and getting her big girl coat)? That can be itchy for some dogs.

Lucian has been growing in guard hairs along his back for about two months now, and he's itchy because of it.
Back to top Go down
laura56083
Teenager
Teenager
laura56083

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratching   Scratching EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 9:15 pm

I was wondering about that myself but wasn't sure if they itch because of that. I was looking at her earlier and thought her coat was getting more fluffier/full so maybe that is the case? Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratching   Scratching EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 12:03 am

If your going to do a shampooing, use one that doesn't have a detergent in it. Those strip the natural protective oils from the haircoat. It doesn't have to be oatmeal to be soothing. Most oatmeal shampoos are detergent based and can do more harm than good with itchy patients.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Scratching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratching   Scratching Empty

Back to top Go down

Scratching

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1