It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! Empty
PostSubject: How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed!   How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 1:07 am

I've been having problems. Sheba and I are having issues. She is very easy to bond with outside and she can't get enough of "us" time outside. Now inside is a whole different story. She has always been a little anti-social inside. She usually lays off some where by herself, comes for pets and loves occasionally, then meanders off on her own. Lately though, she hasn't been coming for loves. She will play chase inside, but I really don't have a lot of room for chase inside, and Kennedy gets involved so then they go off and chase each other. As soon as they are done however, she lays down!! What I'm trying to say is that it seems like the only time she interested in me is when she wants to play a game of chase..but Kennedy can't just spectate obviously.. So then we are back to square one.

I KNOW some huskies come for love when they want it, and are all good after that. However with Sheba..it seems like it's something more. I'm not sure if it has something to do with where she came from (puppy mill), I don't really think so, but hey who knows. Or what it is. She doesn't even want to play with Kennedy half the time. I know Sheba isn't the lovely dovey type, and maybe it's just because she is starting her teenage phase (which she is..potty training is back to 101 at the moment). I don't know maybe I'm reading too much into this but this is something that has always bothered me.

So rambling aside, how do you bond with your dogs inside? Do you play special games? Grooming?..Training?

Do I need to separate Kennedy and Sheba so I can have some alone time with Sheba without Kennedy bumping in?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed!   How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 1:51 am

Kale was like that when he was a year till about a year and 8 months. One day a switched flipped in his head and he all of a sudden started to be my shadow. It was a culture shock for me lol I don't really have any advise (other than maybe playing some interactive food games like food puzzles if she is food motivated or getting down on all fours and playing "rassle" lol), just thought is share my experience with anti-social like behavior. She loves you I love you and definitely yes to the alone time with Sheba Smile
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed!   How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 1:59 am

Hehe, I will totally have to try rasslin' with her!! Sounds like it shall be interesting..

It's just SO different for me! Kennedy loves to cuddle and loves being loved on, and Sheba is the total opposite! I hope she comes around like Kale did!!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed!   How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 2:49 am

I hope so too! Kale was antisocial all through his puppyhood and finally (it seemed like overnight) was this lovable boy, who wanted to lay in my lap!

Rassling is SOO much fun! It's hard to do yoga now because when I get on the floor, he thinks it's playtime haha I have to make him lay in his bed and watch, while he whines. Silly boy...

How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! 55466212

How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! 25198311
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed!   How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 2:56 am

Soooooo cute!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed!   How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 3:13 am

Haha!! That looks like soo much fun!! Sheba's favorite thing to do is play "chase me" and then we talk back and forth for awhile and then it's back to the chase!! I just got done doing some grooming and feet work with her, and it really seemed to help! She's really touchy about her feet, so we've been working on her letting me cut her fur in between her toes. I also started to do T touch with her a little bit, and she was lulled to sleep. So HOPEFULLY this is a good step in the right direction.

I know I shouldn't take it personally, but I honestly can't help it!
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed!   How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 3:37 am

Appa will barely stay in the same room as us . My wife works from home and says some days she never sees him from 9-5. Our small house is a very open floor plan with the computer off the kitchen. It's not that my wife is off in an office, it's just that Appa does his own thing. We watched the in-law's lab and I about died. Every time I turned around the lab was - right - there. Im not used to a dog that wants to always be by us.

With Appa you can walk up to him and he'll take some petting for a short time, but then he gets up and moves somewhere else. He's very independent that way, but I wouldn't say it's a lack of bonding. He likes to know where we are; if we we're to leave he'd panic. he just doesn't need to be close.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed!   How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 4:53 am

That's why I was trying not to get all worked up about it, but meh Neutral . Hard not to I guess.

So basically I should give it time before deciding that she hates me? I mean I know she doesn't actually hate me, but you get my drift. It's just so weird going from a cuddle bug to an independent little thing.
Back to top Go down
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

Male Join date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed!   How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 7:05 am

Arya is the same, when we got her first if we moved from one part of the kitchen to another she would be at your feet when you turn around. But now she just stays in the same room and comes for petting when it suits her, unless there is the potential to get food.

As mentioned above they dont want to be on your lap but like to have you in sight.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed!   How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 11:00 am

We wrassle with Bode too inside. He loves it! Other than that I don't have a lot of advice. He's a pretty cuddly husky.

Edit: it also helps that we live in small <1000 sq ft house. His only options of places to be really are the living room or bedroom!
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed!   How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 11:30 am

Lycus is my bubblegum. He follows me around the house and he lets me pick him up like a big baby and we just lay and watch tv like that sometimes.
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed!   How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 11:39 am

Kevin will wrassle with Loki. I play fetch and do training inside. Also I lay on the ground next to him while he is playing with a toy or chewing on a bone and just pet him, rub his ears or paws, or brush him. When he was 8 weeks to about 4 months, he was standoffish. Now that his is 6 months, he has to know were we are and sometimes will be our shadows. In the evening when we are watching TV he will lay on the floor next to couch or will worm his way inbetween me and Kevin.
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed!   How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 12:12 pm

Qannik is the same way. He's affectionate on his terms. My husband worries about this more than i do. He worries that maybe he doesn't love us, but I don't think that's the case at all. He is our first husky and he's only 1 year old...who knows how he might change! He'll probably suprise us one day and actually lay on the couch with us to cuddle!
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed!   How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 1:31 pm

Getting down on the floor with them encourages them to play, or try throwing a ball around. Teach him new tricks with food. I often sit down on the floor and start pestering my dog with a stuffed toy until the squeaking drives him to play, not that he needs much encouragement to play, or I scratch his stomach if he's sprawled out on the floor.

Sometimes Kavik will come and lay under my feet. He mostly did that during the first week, always wanting to snuggle up next to me in absence to his litter, but most of the time now he goes to the far end of the room. My last girl was like that her whole life. She liked to lay in the center of the house where she could keep track of everyone. She's was never a shadow, but it drove her crazy when she didn't know where I was and would come looking for me. Sometimes it was just a peep in the door way, or she would come up and lick me to death. Once she found me she would go back to her 'station' unless she wanted something.

I second that dogs constantly under my feet drive me crazy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed!   How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed! Empty

Back to top Go down

How do YOU bond with your baby inside? Advice needed!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1