It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. Empty
PostSubject: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 1:28 am

So I have been on the fence about TOTW ever since all those Diamond recalls, so I'm not too keen on it in the first place. Due to gas prices, we are no longer able to pick up our normal food from the dog boutique which is about 2 hours away. TOTW is the only real healthy food (I use the term loosely as I am not a believer yet Wink ) that the local feed store carried. At first I tried the pacific stream and I wasn't impressed at all. Now we are on to our second bag of the prairie and the girls are doing rather well.

I JUST opened the second bag, and it smells REALLY STRONG! It doesn't look funny, it doesn't feel weird,there isn't any mold or bugs or anything in the bag..but MY LORD! Does anyone have a reason as to why this would happen? My boyfriend explained it as a being cooked too long kind of smell. The expiration date is 01/14/2014.

I may be overreacting as, like I said, I am on the fence about it..so anyone who can put my mind at ease would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 1:32 am

What food do you normally feed? Most brands are carried by wag.com and there is free two day shipping on 50+ orders.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 1:34 am

We usually feed Natures Variety Raw Instinct. We had been using petflow.com, but they upped their prices from the boutique we used to go to. I had been looking into other "online stores" but I hadn't settled on one yet, so this was supposed to be an in between food.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 1:35 am

Wag.com has raw instinct.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 1:36 am

I'll check that one out. Oddly enough, I hadn't heard of that one. I've seen bunches of super random ones, but not that one.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 1:37 am

Random what? Sites? Wag.com is very popular on here. 15% off your first order too (the promo code is on the homepage of the site).
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 1:41 am

Petflow.com is the most popular site over here. And yeah, random sites. I had been to dog.com, petfooddirect.com, chewy.com.. eventually I just gave up. I looking through sites that other people had recommended, and nobody had mentioned wag.com. I like the 15%! Very cool. I wasn't happy with petflow, so I stopped using them before they upped their prices. They promise two day delivery, and I had to wait over a week for a bag of Merrick. All of the reviews of petflow were really positive, so I was pretty bummed.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 1:43 am

I've never had it come over two days, in AZ it came in one. You'll love them, trust me!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 1:44 am

Well thank you VERY much!
Back to top Go down
Dragula64
Teenager
Teenager
Dragula64

Female Join date : 2012-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 2:18 am

We feed our pups tote prairie and they do great on it. It always smells really strong when open the bag. The only thing we don't like about it is they have horrible farts! They clear the room!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 2:19 am

The first bag didn't smell anything like this bag though, otherwise I wouldn't be concerned. It was pretty nasty.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 2:56 am

Mine have almost always been on TOTW, and it always has a pretty strong odor, espcially the new Boar flavor, that one is the worst. I've never had any issues with TOTW, it's the only food my dogs all do well on.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 10:40 am

I have used TOTW years ago and have never had a strong smelling bag. If in doubt, I would return it just to be on the safe side.

Kelsey, have you also checked out DoggieFood.com and NaturalK9Supplies? I have always found them to have really competitive prices, even compared to Wag.com. They send out coupon codes and deals regularly as well if you are on their email list. I am always scouring the best deals on the food I buy and 80% of the time I get the best deal at DoggieFood.com by combining coupons and sales.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 11:36 am

When we were on TOTW, once in a while we'd get a bag that smelled or looked differently. The only time I was concerned about it was if the dogs didn't like it. Koda's pretty sensitive to those things and if he didn't eat it, I'd return the bag. But after 2-3 years of him on TOTW, I think I only returned one bag?

Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 2:37 pm

I use TOTW Pacific Stream .
It always smells strongly to me.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 2:58 pm

I use TOTW High Prairie as well, and the stuff smells horrid! I can't explain what it reminds me of, but it's nothing pleasant!

I also use wag.com most of the time for my food. I shop around though, most places give you a discount for first time orders, but since I have used them all up I just check to see which place is cheapest. Sometimes it is amazon, other times wag.com, and I have also used chewy.com
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 5:28 pm

Val, I haven't heard of either of those sites, so I will definitely check those two out as well! Everyone loves coupons! Very Happy

They haven't turned their nose up to it, which they normally would have; so I guess I am put at ease.

Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Wag.com FTW. Lol that's the only site i use to get Kale's food. The prairie formula of TOTW is the strongest smelling one if I am remembering correctly lol. Gave kale horrid gas pale
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
memoirmachine
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 7:23 am

deleted

Last edited by memoirmachine on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 9:56 am

I contacted TOTW and they actually are giving me a refund but also said it could be because the bag a was too fresh. It may have been made days ago instead of a month or so and it will have a stronger smell the fresher it is.
Back to top Go down
tmaddry
Newborn
Newborn
tmaddry

Male Join date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Oh WOW! Yesterday Tully started on a new bag of TOTW (Bison). I fed him three times throughout the day as usual and he threw up his meal every time! I still had his previous bag of the same food with a couple of tablespoons left in it so I ate a spoonful of each bag myself (yep). The old bag tasted about how I expected (pretty much what you would imagine... kibble with a strong flavor). The new bag tasted horrible, god awful, rancid, bitter, disgusting like kibble that had been soaked in vinegar mixed with rotting meat. Both LOOKED perfectly normal. There was also a distinct difference in the smell. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has gotten a bad bag and I would love recommendations on a replacement brand since I am not sure I want to trust TOTW anymore... The expiration date was like March 2014 by the way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..   Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Just got a new bag of TOTW and it smells really strong..

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1