It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? Empty
PostSubject: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 10:29 pm

I am always lurking petfinder and craiglist looking for huskys, like I could afford another one, but I just cant help myself. How do you tell yourself no. There is this guy here http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22381751 in our county shelter. I can not afford another dog, nor do i have time fo rone, but its really hard not to go pick him up! How do you do it?
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 10:34 pm

My other half has to tell me "NO" or not only would I have 5 huskies, I would have every stray in town. I am a bleeding heart.. I KILLS me to see them. I wouldn't think twice about dishing out 500$ for a dog to get it out of a bad home. My other half kinda evens that out.

Good luck saying NO!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 10:44 pm

I look at them all and just flat out realize that I couldn't afford to have them all. (at least until I with the lotto)
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 10:57 pm

You can say no?

Lol I have stopped looking at those sites. I just can't bear to see it. Or hear the stupidity behind it.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 10:58 pm

Hubby says NO followed by a back up "NO WAY YOU'RE DOING THIS TO ME AGAIN" by Mya Razz However, once we buy a house (should be a year and 1/2...hopefully!) they're both going to have to suck it up! Hubby gave me a "maybe" when we get the house. That means YES! LOL

I don't look for them because it makes me sad and I get depressed because I can't help them. It's torture! I'm with Len, if I win lotto IT'S ON!!!
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 11:24 pm

I do the same thing! I'm mostly scouring all kinds of websites and CL and petfinder because I'm still looking for my first husky, but also because I really want to adopt another one! I've come sooooo close a few times. But what holds me back is that I know I definitely don't have the time or resources to care for another dog so I know that I wouldn't be doing any pup/dog any better than it's current situation if I were to bring one home right now. That's how I say no. But as soon as I finish school and buy a house, you won't be able to stop me! Razz
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 11:40 pm

I saw a something today that fits in here very well..

Quote :
Huskies are like potato chips You can't just have one..
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 11:58 pm

Seeing my mom's house. That's what keeps me strong. She does all breed rescue and has 7 dogs of her own who she either liked too much or more likely couldn't find a home for cause the dog had issues. So with 7 dogs plus however many rescues she has at the time, my parent's house is pretty much a wreck. That's why I will never own any more than 2 cats (I could have so many by now!) and I think 4 dogs will be my future limit though right now it is 2. Plus I see how it is impossible to give every dog the attention they need when you have 7+. I feel really bad for a couple of my mom's dogs and really think they would be happier in a one dog home rather than lost amongst the 7. I much rather foster a dog or cat than adopt one.

How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:48 am

I stopped looking, I use my "extra" time helping out the husky rescue here in colorado, more effective then checking sites and feeling bad

Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:52 am

the closest husky rescue is over an hour away from me...I can't wait till I can find the time to help volunteer there once school and work ease up! Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:02 am

Shaina, have u contacted them? We have people all over colorado helping out, home visits, emails, pick ups, all kinds of things rescues need help with.

Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:21 am

Yes, I've talked to them briefly. I can't really do any pickups or transports because I don't have the right car for it (2 door sports car atm), and the only other thing I would help with would be home visits, but only on the weekends when I'm not working (which is rare) and I don't want to have to leave Indy in his kennel any longer than 4 or 5 hours out of a day, so I try to stay close to home.

But hopefully here soon within the next couple of months I will have more time!
Back to top Go down
bott6654
Puppy
Puppy
bott6654

Male Join date : 2012-02-03

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:28 am

I look at my tuition bills for OU lol
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:30 am

^+1 lol....exactly.
Back to top Go down
Jo
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 4:51 am

This is one of the reasons I left Ferret Rescue. I wanted to save each and every one of them. It got to a point where we had 88 ferrets in our house. Why? because I could not bear to leave them in certain situations. It got to a point where it was just overwhelming. Sure they were getting shelter and food, but not the individual attention they needed, I was no better than some of the situations I took some of these babies out of. Sadly it took me getting breast cancer to realize that things had gotten out of hand. I had to step back and take a look at life, and the ferrets, I figured going cold turkey was the way to get out of it. I no longer look on Craigslist, I no longer respond to the emails of people needing to rehome, I cut myself off of the Humane Society, I just adopted out who I could and now can focus on the ones I have, 17 still, but they at least are getting the love and care they deserve, not to mention I can afford the medical bills I have for them. I know this is not a Husky type situation, but I feel it is pretty dead on. We do have 4 Pups here now, 1 year old and under, and are holding our own, but it is the financial limit for us.

Just stay strong, I usually have people make a pros and cons list, when it comes to the heartbreak of saving them all.

JO
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 6:43 am

I realize that if i let myself id have way too many and they wouldnt get the attention individually that they deserve
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 11:17 am

I feel the exact same way! We have stray dog's around my area all the time and I do my best to help them out until I can find another place for them to go. It's so hard to not keep them all out, but some times you just have to say no.

We have 5 dog's, 4 cats, 1 parrot, and a rabbit in our home (thankfully we live on an acre of land) and it's so tough! Not only financially, but giving everyone the attention they need. I will never own more than 3 dog's at a time and probably will never have cats again (just a pain for me). The bird I inherited from my father's passing, so she will be with us forever. The poor rabbit is my sisters (she's 15) and I really need to rehome him, but there are so many in this area I wouldn't want to be another person contributing to that cause.

Even with all the stress of having my pet's, I still find myself looking on craigslist, petfinder, newspapers, etc. I know another animal is the LAST thing I need, but can't help be feel sorry for them. How I stop myself is by pooper scooping my yard lol
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Female Join date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:08 pm

i just look at horses LOL cuz i know my husband wont let me get another husky! But horses he can tell me no all he wants and i aint listening LOL but it helps they dont stay at home
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?   How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you stay strong and keep saying no to yourself?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1