It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

In need of leash that's strong and durable

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

In need of leash that's strong and durable Empty
PostSubject: In need of leash that's strong and durable   In need of leash that's strong and durable EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 6:24 pm

Ok so Loki is by far my biggest puller. I have an ez walk harness but tonight he broke a nylon lead pulling me around the yard, yeah I was walking lol. I want to be able to take him for walks be he is a really aggressive puller. Not sure the harness is helping either. It scared me because he ran right into the street and luckily got interested smelling a mailbox post so I was able to grab him!

He had chewed the leash a tiny bit, not enough in my opinion for it to have broke like that.

So what do you recommend in the way of a good strong leash, should I look at metal? Or those rope kind? And should I try a prong collar on him?

Thanks for any and all answers!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: In need of leash that's strong and durable   In need of leash that's strong and durable EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 7:01 pm

Jack has chewed on his and sierras ruff wear leash and they never tore and broke in half.... they have really thick flat leashes at pet stores as well you could try. or spend some $ and buy climbing rope and make it into a leash.

Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: In need of leash that's strong and durable   In need of leash that's strong and durable EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 7:54 pm

I dont have a recommendation for a leash but i would try the prong collar, i have easy walks for both mine and it helped a bit they walk better on those then their collars but i just picked up prongs and they really help a lot, their much calmer then with a collar or harness.
Back to top Go down
laura56083
Teenager
Teenager
laura56083

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

PostSubject: Re: In need of leash that's strong and durable   In need of leash that's strong and durable EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 9:30 pm

I use Kong rope leashes and absolutely love them. They are extremely durable..my friends even went out to buy them after me! The shorter ones are thicker and I like them better.

Here is the link to them at Petsmart:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12395896
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: In need of leash that's strong and durable   In need of leash that's strong and durable EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 10:13 pm

We just bought a new leash. Its called a Bun-Gee Pup-EE and i can walk both dogs with one hand, They don't tangle and it has just enough spring to it that if they lunge it gets absorbed. Here is what it looks like

In need of leash that's strong and durable Newleash_zpsedfe563f

They have single ones as well. I would also try the prong collar it helped a lot with Raven.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: In need of leash that's strong and durable   In need of leash that's strong and durable EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 10:52 pm

Thanks everyone, I guess I will try a prong, I just need him to stop pulling so we can take enjoyable walks.
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: In need of leash that's strong and durable   In need of leash that's strong and durable EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 3:48 am

Head Collar did wonders for Lucifer, I still have body builder arms from training haha
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: In need of leash that's strong and durable   In need of leash that's strong and durable EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 11:52 am

had the same issues with Kiba. Bought a Kong leash with a traffic handle which has some give in it but has stood up to kiba lunging and pulling like crazy. also ended up with a gentle leader head collar which is AMAaaazing! And finally, i bought a Titan brand neck collar as it has a strong metal clasp instead of plastic and its meant for tie-outs. i highly recommend them as she broke 2 collars and a harness but this one just seems to be unbreakable.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: In need of leash that's strong and durable   In need of leash that's strong and durable EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 12:02 pm

I have the rough wear flat out leash and I really like it. It also has a traffic handle, which is really handy (no pun intended) Smile Dizzy occasionally chews his leash, but has never broken one though.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: In need of leash that's strong and durable   In need of leash that's strong and durable EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 12:07 pm

Honestly, I probably couldn't walk my 3 without the prong collars. They're major pullers and I take the 3 out together so imagine...lol. I know that people have mixed feelings about prongs, but they work for us.

I also use the Ruff Wear Knot-A-Leash. Super durable, made out of climbing rope, and love the locking carabiner. Asia chewed on their flat leash and got threw it within minutes when she was younger. Tried it on the knot a leash and was not successful..lol

http://www.ruffwear.com/Knot-a-Leash-Rope-Dog-Leash

Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: In need of leash that's strong and durable   In need of leash that's strong and durable EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 12:54 pm

I couldn't walk Sheba without a prong either. I have tried EVERYTHING with her; a GL, a Newtrix head collar, a regular collar, a martingale collar, a semi check collar, a front clip harness, a back clip harness, a front AND back clip harness.... you get the picture. The prong also works for her because she has reactive issues and she could seriously slip out of everything. I highly recommend a prong. Get a trainer to show you how to size it and how to use it; that's the key with the prong.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Lynn.Karpati
Puppy
Puppy
Lynn.Karpati

Female Join date : 2013-06-25

PostSubject: Re: In need of leash that's strong and durable   In need of leash that's strong and durable EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 1:19 pm

I walk Pongo with a prong collar as well. We use Rok leashes though. Enough stretch not to hurt your arm and a smaller traffic handle to contain him
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: In need of leash that's strong and durable   In need of leash that's strong and durable EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 1:29 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Honestly, I probably couldn't walk my 3 without the prong collars. They're major pullers and I take the 3 out together so imagine...lol. I know that people have mixed feelings about prongs, but they work for us.

I also use the Ruff Wear Knot-A-Leash. Super durable, made out of climbing rope, and love the locking carabiner. Asia chewed on their flat leash and got threw it within minutes when she was younger. Tried it on the knot a leash and was not successful..lol

I second the Ruffwear Leash.  I use it for Juneau and it is very thick and sturdy.  It also has reflective material for night time.  And a locking carabiner.

I also use a prong for Juneau.  Make sure to get a Herm Sprenger though.  It's what they use in germany for the german shepherds.  Get it properly sized.  You can buy it on amazon.  I got the medium sized (because the small is too small to be able to penetrate the double coat!).  I even have to take off a few links!  The inexpensive ones are harder to take on and off. Some even have a quick release and it will release while you're walking your dog!

Watch a few youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nibaQnS44FE  is one of my favorites.  He shows how the prong collar is used and worn correctly.  

This may start some controversy, but the prong collar is safer to use than a choke.  He explains some facts in the video too.  The prong is safer because when it is properly used, it transfers the pressure from the front of the neck to the back of the neck.  It is designed to protect the trachea.  There was a study in germany with 100 dogs.  50 used prong collars for all of their life and 50 used chokes for their entire life.

Of the 50 which had chokes, 48 had injuries to the neck, trachea, or back. 2 of those were determined to be genetic. The other 46 were caused by trauma.
Of the 50 which had prongs, 2 had injuries in the neck area, 1 was determined to be genetic. 1 was caused by trauma.

http://www.cobankopegi.com/prong.html

I didn't realize that until a few weeks ago when someone asked me why I used the prong.  I really didn't have an answer, so I did some research lol.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: In need of leash that's strong and durable   In need of leash that's strong and durable EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 2:55 pm

VintageJeans wrote:

MelissaI wrote:

I second the Ruffwear Leash.  I use it for Juneau and it is very thick and sturdy.  It also has reflective material for night time.  And a locking carabiner.

I also use a prong for Juneau.  Make sure to get a Herm Sprenger though.  It's what they use in germany for the german shepherds.  Get it properly sized.  You can buy it on amazon.  I got the medium sized (because the small is too small to be able to penetrate the double coat!).  I even have to take off a few links!  The inexpensive ones are harder to take on and off.  Some even have a quick release and it will release while you're walking your dog!  

Watch a few youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nibaQnS44FE  is one of my favorites.  He shows how the prong collar is used and worn correctly.  

This may start some controversy, but the prong collar is safer to use than a choke.  He explains some facts in the video too.  The prong is safer because when it is properly used, it transfers the pressure from the front of the neck to the back of the neck.  It is designed to protect the trachea.  There was a study in germany with 100 dogs.  50 used prong collars for all of their life and 50 used chokes for their entire life.

Of the 50 which had chokes, 48 had injuries to the neck, trachea, or back. 2 of those were determined to be genetic. The other 46 were caused by trauma.
Of the 50 which had prongs, 2 had injuries in the neck area, 1 was determined to be genetic. 1 was caused by trauma.

http://www.cobankopegi.com/prong.html

I didn't realize that until a few weeks ago when someone asked me why I used the prong.  I really didn't have an answer, so I did some research lol.

I just agree with everything in this post!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: In need of leash that's strong and durable   In need of leash that's strong and durable EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 5:54 pm

horse lead. I am serious it works the best!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: In need of leash that's strong and durable   In need of leash that's strong and durable EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks everyone. I am going to try a prong collar, the dog is pulling so hard my arm aches lol. Plus it can't be good for him either! Thanks for all the great advice!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In need of leash that's strong and durable   In need of leash that's strong and durable Empty

Back to top Go down

In need of leash that's strong and durable

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1