It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Recommendations on a STRONG crate?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scott+Lexi
Newborn
Newborn
Scott+Lexi

Female Join date : 2013-02-14

Recommendations on a STRONG crate? Empty
PostSubject: Recommendations on a STRONG crate?   Recommendations on a STRONG crate? EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 12:38 pm

So we have decided to get a new crate for our little angel Lexi.

We currently have 2 crates, a 36" and a 42".
The strength on the 36" inch is pretty good... But it has a metal pan which she likes to bend and is now unsafe. Brand is unknown (got it from a friend).
The 42" has a plastic pan (which seems to be better), but the bars seem to bend and come apart a little easier. Brand is Petmate (from walmart).

Anyways, we want something REALLY strong, probably with a plastic pan, and I think the 36"/37" is a better size for her (42" is quite massive). I don't really care about folding. Also I have been told to spend less than $200... (note: that includes shipping to Canada if it isn't available locally).

About Lexi - she has some separation anxiety (we are working on it) and loves to pull and push on the crate door with some serious force. She is also very smart and quite often I find 1 of the 2 latches on the 42" crate undone.

Any recommendations!?!?

I was looking at this Midwest Ultima Pro Series as it is supposedly stronger... BUT the door latches worry me a little... 1 latch on each door? And I'm not sure how secure the latches are... Anyone have a midwest with an escape artist?

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Ultima-Series-Crate-Inches/dp/B002IQDCR2

Any other options?

Thanks!
Scott
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations on a STRONG crate?   Recommendations on a STRONG crate? EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 12:52 pm

Most people use carabiners (or use zip ties) to secure the doors even more. Sometimes even all around it to hold it together better.

I personally don't know about a STRONG metal crate, but there are things you can do to reinforce them to make them stronger.

Scott+Lexi
Newborn
Newborn
Scott+Lexi

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations on a STRONG crate?   Recommendations on a STRONG crate? EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Haha well I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

I have been using a zip-tie on the door to keep it closed (and less bent), but it is a pain to have to cut and use a new one every time. Plus it seems kinda wasteful. Perhaps I will give the carabiner a try for the door...

Any suggestions on carabiners? Do those cheap ones work? Or mini ones? Or do I need a proper climbing one?

(Still looking for suggestions on crates as well Smile )

Thanks!
Scott
Back to top Go down
Scott+Lexi
Newborn
Newborn
Scott+Lexi

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations on a STRONG crate?   Recommendations on a STRONG crate? EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 1:17 pm

Oh ya she has also wrecked a plastic airline crate before... It only had the cutout 'window' though... She just ripped the plastic there. Perhaps one with a metal window would work better?

*sigh*

Scott
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations on a STRONG crate?   Recommendations on a STRONG crate? EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 2:14 pm

I use a Vari-Kennel Ultra which is a plastic one. Very happen with it. We bought it after Lola destroyed a metal one. So we got the Vari-kennel because our dog trainer recommended it.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations on a STRONG crate?   Recommendations on a STRONG crate? EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 1:45 pm

Scott+Lexi wrote:
Haha well I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

I have been using a zip-tie on the door to keep it closed (and less bent), but it is a pain to have to cut and use a new one every time. Plus it seems kinda wasteful. Perhaps I will give the carabiner a try for the door...

Any suggestions on carabiners? Do those cheap ones work? Or mini ones? Or do I need a proper climbing one?

(Still looking for suggestions on crates as well Smile )

Thanks!
Scott

I recommend the cheap ones as long as you can twist them to lock. Maggie is the queen of escaping crates and she can open the ones that don't lock.

She finally stays in her crate again. lol

Back to top Go down
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

Male Join date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations on a STRONG crate?   Recommendations on a STRONG crate? EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 6:05 pm

I have two savic crates which seem to be okay, if you are not folding it a way frequently I would suggest adding a few cable ties on each side of the fold away ends for additional support.

As for the keeping the gate locked, would a cheap padlock also work.
Back to top Go down
Scott+Lexi
Newborn
Newborn
Scott+Lexi

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations on a STRONG crate?   Recommendations on a STRONG crate? EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 4:09 pm

Soooo... I decided to try to cover Lexi's crate (again). In the past I have tried loose sheets or towels, and it always ended poorly. This time I deiced to give it one last try, if it didn't work, then she just doesn't like her crate to be covered.
I took an old flat sheet and very methodically taped the sheet to the crate... It was a very nice job and was totally taut all the way around. I was very happy with it and figured that this would give it is best shot, as maybe she wouldn't be able to get a hold of it.
*sigh*
We were gone a couple hours... by the time we got back, she had ENTIRELY removed the sheet. I mean before hand it was taped in at least 30 or so places... By the time we got back, there was only ONE piece of tape still connected to the sheet and crate. I really wish I had taken before and after shots... Ah well.
On the up side, she didn't seem to eat any of it, just destroyed it. And really I was kinda expecting the result, so I didn't get upset... though Sara did Shocked (usually it is the other way around) But really it was an old sheet and I wasn't worried about it getting wrecked...

I have an old proper carabiner that I found and tried it on the crate door. So far so good!
Thanks for the suggestions!

We are still looking at a new crate... so keep the crate suggestions or recommendations coming!

Thanks
Scott
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations on a STRONG crate?   Recommendations on a STRONG crate? EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 6:16 pm

I've seen this crate in the Pet Edge catalog I get, and it looks like a jail cell! They say its super strong, but I'm sure its not cheap.

Here's the link
http://www.petedge.com/product/Home-Kennel/Cages-Crates/Cages-Crates/ProSelect-Empire-Dog-Cages/pc/194/c/310/sc/502/45512.uts
Back to top Go down
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

Male Join date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations on a STRONG crate?   Recommendations on a STRONG crate? EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 6:20 pm

could you use chipboard/plywood cut to size to cover the crate?
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations on a STRONG crate?   Recommendations on a STRONG crate? EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 7:40 pm

Not sure if it helps but we have noticed that the folding crates just arent as strong and we are sticking with the older drop pin style, but i couodnt tell you who would sell that type sorry.
Back to top Go down
Scott+Lexi
Newborn
Newborn
Scott+Lexi

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations on a STRONG crate?   Recommendations on a STRONG crate? EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Lu&Katsmom wrote:
I've seen this crate in the Pet Edge catalog I get, and it looks like a jail cell! They say its super strong, but I'm sure its not cheap.

Here's the link
http://www.petedge.com/product/Home-Kennel/Cages-Crates/Cages-Crates/ProSelect-Empire-Dog-Cages/pc/194/c/310/sc/502/45512.uts

I have seen those. And I would love to get one... But alas, I have been told that my budget is $200, and that is no where near the budget! Thanks though!

madisonmenece wrote:
could you use chipboard/plywood cut to size to cover the crate?

Not a bad idea. Maybe I will give it a try.
Though, it doesn't seem like having the crate covered makes her any calmer... So this may not help.
Thanks though

Bella_Jasper wrote:
Not sure if it helps but we have noticed that the folding crates just arent as strong and we are sticking with the older drop pin style, but i couodnt tell you who would sell that type sorry.

Seems there are still some places that sell them, limited selection though. Thanks for the tip and I will look into it some more.

Thanks
Scott
Back to top Go down
Kimber
Puppy
Puppy
Kimber

Female Join date : 2013-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations on a STRONG crate?   Recommendations on a STRONG crate? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 6:53 pm

Scott+Lexi wrote:
So we have decided to get a new crate for our little angel Lexi.

We currently have 2 crates, a 36" and a 42".
The strength on the 36" inch is pretty good... But it has a metal pan which she likes to bend and is now unsafe. Brand is unknown (got it from a friend).
The 42" has a plastic pan (which seems to be better), but the bars seem to bend and come apart a little easier. Brand is Petmate (from walmart).

Anyways, we want something REALLY strong, probably with a plastic pan, and I think the 36"/37" is a better size for her (42" is quite massive). I don't really care about folding. Also I have been told to spend less than $200... (note: that includes shipping to Canada if it isn't available locally).

About Lexi - she has some separation anxiety (we are working on it) and loves to pull and push on the crate door with some serious force. She is also very smart and quite often I find 1 of the 2 latches on the 42" crate undone.

Any recommendations!?!?

I was looking at this Midwest Ultima Pro Series as it is supposedly stronger... BUT the door latches worry me a little... 1 latch on each door? And I'm not sure how secure the latches are... Anyone have a midwest with an escape artist?

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Ultima-Series-Crate-Inches/dp/B002IQDCR2

Any other options?

Thanks!
Scott

I have this exact crate in the 42 size... however my guy is still very little. I do however love the crate and it seems extremely sturdy. I got mine from amazon also.
Back to top Go down
Scott+Lexi
Newborn
Newborn
Scott+Lexi

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations on a STRONG crate?   Recommendations on a STRONG crate? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Kimber wrote:

I have this exact crate in the 42 size... however my guy is still very little. I do however love the crate and it seems extremely sturdy. I got mine from amazon also.

Great! Thanks for the input!

Scott
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations on a STRONG crate?   Recommendations on a STRONG crate? Empty

Back to top Go down

Recommendations on a STRONG crate?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1