It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Travel With Your Husky(s)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Travel With Your Husky(s) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel With Your Husky(s)   Travel With Your Husky(s) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 3:02 pm

That's impressive!
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Travel With Your Husky(s)   Travel With Your Husky(s) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 3:03 pm

I am THAT person too, since I also plan on using a harness and collar each with their own leash.

Oh - and bah to Ford and Chevy. I'm a Mopar girl. Razz 

Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Travel With Your Husky(s)   Travel With Your Husky(s) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 3:13 pm

That's Chrysler right? I loved my jeep, and would still have it if we haven't moved. It just wasn't practical for the city and gets awful gas mileage, plus one car is hard enough to deal with. Now, I really love our impreza. Fun to zip around the city, but still okay in the snow. It's no sports car, but its still fun. If I could only convince my boss to let me drive his Maserati!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Travel With Your Husky(s)   Travel With Your Husky(s) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 3:33 pm

Camaros and Mustangs in the same household?! What! lol jk.  It sounds like you have quite the stable lol.

I have a 2012 Mustang V6 & the boyfriend has a 2010 Camaro SS.  His is supercharged but we're parting it out and getting an explorer for a while.  I hate to see it go, but we need a bigger vehicle for moving big stuff around so yeah. lol

ANYWAYS, I took Juneau on an 18 hr car drive from TX to Illinois in the Camaro when she was 4 months.  I had the backseat all covered with blankets and stuff.  She had access to a water bowl (spill proof), a few bites of food, and bully sticks (odor free of course).  And other toys.  She was let out about every 2-3 hrs, sometimes sooner if she was awake.  She slept most of the way.  I also gave her some Pet Ease treats.  They're treats with amino acids that naturally calm your husky down for storms and etc.  I got them at Petsmart but you can get them online.  They worked really well.  Based on her weight, I only gave her two once every 6-7 hrs.

EDIT: For some reason, it's not posting my link. Just do a google search of 'pet ease treats' and it's the green bag for like $5.

Last edited by VintageJeans on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : link)
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Travel With Your Husky(s)   Travel With Your Husky(s) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 4:16 pm

Eresh wrote:
I am THAT person too, since I also plan on using a harness and collar each with their own leash.

Oh - and bah to Ford and Chevy. I'm a Mopar girl.  Razz 

I can't afford to work on Mopar. The same parts cost 4 times as much. My mom used to have a '69 Lemans. Sweet car. Hard to get and afford parts for it.

wpskier222 wrote:
That's Chrysler right? I loved my jeep, and would still have it if we haven't moved. It just wasn't practical for the city and gets awful gas mileage, plus one car is hard enough to deal with. Now, I really love our impreza. Fun to zip around the city, but still okay in the snow. It's no sports car, but its still fun. If I could only convince my boss to let me drive his Maserati!

I slap snow tires on my old Mustang and a couple tractor weights and take off when the snow is on. I've rarely had any problem with the elements in it. I know where there used to be an old Maserati just sitting beside a house. You just don't see them very often, though the last time I went to AZ a newer one about ran us over on the loop around Phoenix. If I was in one Joe Walsh would have already summed up the outcome. "My Maserati does 185, I lost my license now I don't drive." lol.

VintageJeans wrote:
Camaros and Mustangs in the same household?! What! lol jk.  It sounds like you have quite the stable lol.

I have a 2012 Mustang V6 & the boyfriend has a 2010 Camaro SS.  His is supercharged but we're parting it out and getting an explorer for a while.  I hate to see it go, but we need a bigger vehicle for moving big stuff around so yeah. lol

ANYWAYS, I took Juneau on an 18 hr car drive from TX to Illinois in the Camaro when she was 4 months.  I had the backseat all covered with blankets and stuff.  She had access to a water bowl (spill proof), a few bites of food, and bully sticks (odor free of course).  And other toys.  She was let out about every 2-3 hrs, sometimes sooner if she was awake.  She slept most of the way.  I also gave her some Pet Ease treats.  They're treats with amino acids that naturally calm your husky down for storms and etc.  I got them at Petsmart but you can get them online.  They worked really well.  Based on her weight, I only gave her two once every 6-7 hrs.

EDIT: For some reason, it's not posting my link.  Just do a google search of 'pet ease treats' and it's the green bag for like $5.

It is a battle in our house with the difference in vehicular preference. My husband already has a '70 camaro drag car and I have an '85 mustang in the middle of a drag car build. If one day the world suddenly explodes it could be because my car went faster than his and he couldn't handle the shame of being beat by a Mustang and a girl. Did the camaro get smashed and that's why you're parting it out?

I will look into those pet ease treats. Kenzi is getting where she is nervous during storms. I'm not sure why. She didn't have an issue when we first got her and now she starts freaking out when there's thunder. That could help us out for more than just on the trip.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Travel With Your Husky(s)   Travel With Your Husky(s) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 5:17 pm

Eresh wrote:
Oh - and bah to Ford and Chevy. I'm a Mopar girl.  Razz 

YES! Me too. I've only owned Mopar vehicles. Plymouth Neon, Dodge Dakota, Dodge Stealth and Jeep Wrangler. Well, except for my 2007 Chevy Silverado...but I won that so I didn't actually pay for it. I let my exhusband have it in the divorce anyways....

YAY MOPAR! Smile
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Travel With Your Husky(s)   Travel With Your Husky(s) - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 5:54 pm

I'm late in the convo but we took Karli on a 22hr car ride to CA this last Christmas and she did really well. We didn't use her crate (although we brought it with just, just taken apart) but one of us did sit in the back with her at all times so that she would be calm. She would actually curl up on the floor (we drove in a '99 Grand Am) while we slept on the seat (that's what she preferred. I tried to get her to sleep on the seat with me but she wouldn't lol). She did fine, we had pig ears with us and her kong and water and stopped every couple hours (because she was so young) for potty breaks. Because she was young, we had a hard time getting her to go potty when we wanted her to but she never had an accident in the car.

As to car types...well I am a CHEVY girl lol. My hubby used to be a mustang guy (he has the tattoo to prove it lol) but then the more he got to learning about cars, the more he liked Pontiac actually. We have a '99 trans am WS6 and my '08 Cobalt, plus his '94 Jeep Cherokee (we sold the grand am recently so he could buy a bike.) The Cobalt is the car we use for trips now and its super reliable and gets the best gas mileage. I actually really like the looks of the Dart, Chevy has really disappointed me and GM as a whole (I wanted a G8 so bad and they don't make them anymore.) BUT, that being said, mustangs are tanks! My mom crashed her, slammed both doors in and my dad said he could still open them after the the crash and for that reason alone he got her another one. I think your mustang should be OK, warmer weather is actually better anyways!Wink
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Travel With Your Husky(s)   Travel With Your Husky(s) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 11:40 am

cinnamonbits wrote:
I'm late in the convo but we took Karli on a 22hr car ride to CA this last Christmas and she did really well. We didn't use her crate (although we brought it with just, just taken apart) but one of us did sit in the back with her at all times so that she would be calm. She would actually curl up on the floor (we drove in a '99 Grand Am) while we slept on the seat (that's what she preferred. I tried to get her to sleep on the seat with me but she wouldn't lol). She did fine, we had pig ears with us and her kong and water and stopped every couple hours (because she was so young) for potty breaks. Because she was young, we had a hard time getting her to go potty when we wanted her to but she never had an accident in the car.

As to car types...well I am a CHEVY girl lol. My hubby used to be a mustang guy (he has the tattoo to prove it lol) but then the more he got to learning about cars, the more he liked Pontiac actually. We have a '99 trans am WS6 and my '08 Cobalt, plus his '94 Jeep Cherokee (we sold the grand am recently so he could buy a bike.) The Cobalt is the car we use for trips now and its super reliable and gets the best gas mileage. I actually really like the looks of the Dart, Chevy has really disappointed me and GM as a whole (I wanted a G8 so bad and they don't make them anymore.) BUT, that being said, mustangs are tanks! My mom crashed her, slammed both doors in and my dad said he could still open them after the the crash and for that reason alone he got her another one. I think your mustang should be OK, warmer weather is actually better anyways!Wink

I think after much discussion me and Kenzi are going to stay home and let the hubby fly out on his own. Driving just isn't affordable and that many hours in a car would probably have been harder on us than it ever would have been for Kenzi. Everyone has given a ton of great advice though and I know in the not too far future we will take a long trip and I will use all the great things people have said to make it an awesome trip for all of us.

I will definitely attest to tough Mustangs. My '89 was totaled in 2011 by a kid in a grand am that was texting and rear ended me while I was stopped waiting for another car to turn across traffic. He slammed me doing about 50 mph. When I crawled out the passenger door (the drivers was pinned shut) the engine of his Pontiac was sitting in the windshield of the car. My car didn't quit running despite being shoved into the car in front of me. After filing the accident report I drove that car to work and then eventually home after my shift. It wasn't until after I got home the coil fell off and had to be put back on to get it in the garage. The wreck offset the back of the car by 2 inches. The drivers side was a full inch shorter than the passenger. The bumper had been caved over an inch into the hatch area and the floor pan under the drivers seat had split in two. We restored the car two months after the accident and I recently drove it to Kansas (4 hours in 100 degree weather) no problems. They are very tough cars. I have 5 of them and trust them all to take a lick and keep on kicking.

Newborn
Newborn
IsraelM

Female Join date : 2017-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Travel With Your Husky(s)   Travel With Your Husky(s) - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 08, 2017 11:19 am

Hello everyone! After reading this thread I thought this would be the best place to post a question I have. (Forgive me if I'm doing this incorrectly I read as much of the rules as I could find if I am in the wrong place please point me in the right direction) I am relocating from NY to Florida I'm currently in Florida securing a pet friendly apartment for my girl Ray, my SO and myself. I'm not sure what to do in terms of traveling. I don't have a problem with renting a car and driving down with her in it but she isn't a fan of being in the car for long periods of time unless she has someone sitting with her petting her. I'd prefer to take an airplane or train but from what I've seen dogs are not allowed in either unless they are service animals or for the plane travel in cargo, which I can't bring myself to put her in. So I was doing some research and found this company that was started I think in 2007 or 2009 called dogtravel company. They are a company that sets up travel plans for people with their pets, so that the animals can be with you at all times while traveling. I looked up the company on the BBB website and they don't currently have a rating so I'm thinking that it may be a scam? But I was wondering if anyone else had heard of them or had used them before? Other wise tips and tricks/advice on travel would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a ton everyone!

Last edited by IsraelM on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Travel With Your Husky(s)   Travel With Your Husky(s) - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 08, 2017 12:29 pm

I've not heard of it but it looks neat for a full blown vacation. I'm not sure I would go to the trouble and hoops and expense of them just to move though. Their sample pricing for the trip you are doing is over $3k. If she is just restless when riding a while and not getting car sick I would rent a car and just make frequent stops for walking and potty breaks. As she is in the car more she will get used to going farther between stops. Since you are talking about renting a car I assume she hasn't had a lot of exposure to riding. That just takes time. My girl paces when she rides, it frustrates me and my other dogs who get tired of her stepping on them, but that is just how she rides and she will do this for hours.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Travel With Your Husky(s)   Travel With Your Husky(s) - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 08, 2017 2:28 pm

Like Jenn said! I would only add, get yourself some sort of restraint. Either harness and tether to the seat belt or child seat deck anchors b or an suv with crate. You don't want to be chasing a husky through the streets of Charleston when all you want is dinner and a bed!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Travel With Your Husky(s)   Travel With Your Husky(s) - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 08, 2017 3:56 pm

I don't think anyone, animals or people, enjoy being in a car for extended periods of time but we do it and get on with our lives. I would not fly her, it's just not worth the risk of flying a pet in cargo. I would definitely go with the rental and drive her down. NY to FL really isn't that far, you can knock that out in 2 days no problem. Will she enjoy it? Probably not. Will you enjoy it? I doubt it. But it is what it is and you'll both survive it.

We moved cross country (WA state to FL) in 2008 and we drove the entire 3,000 mile trip with our Sibe AND fish! Our sibe was not accustomed to long car trips before that but we had his bed set up in the backseat by the window and he quickly realized between napping while the car was in motion and short walks each time we stopped that traveling wasn't such a bad thing. That trip took us 8 days to complete, although we stayed 2 nights in Yellowstone so it was more like 7 days of driving progress on the cross country trip.

Dogs, like kids, are resilient and I'm sure a 2 day trip will be no trouble at all.

Enjoy life in Tampa, probably my favorite place to live in FL...if you have to live in FL. Hopefully your sibe adjusts well to the temps. My boy's shedding exploded when we moved to FL. He went from blowing coat twice a year in WA to blowing coat 4 times a year in FL because it's just so damn hot all year round there. Hopefully that doesn't happen with yours!

PostSubject: Re: Travel With Your Husky(s)   Travel With Your Husky(s) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Travel With Your Husky(s)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2