It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

thinking of breeding?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tonyloks
Newborn
Newborn

thinking of breeding? Empty
PostSubject: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 3:10 am

at what age can i breed?(my local breeder said 1 1/2 years but just to make sure)?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 3:39 am

If you don't know what age, IMO, you shouldn't breeding. That's all I'm saying. silent
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 3:57 am

Since they can't even get most of their health clearances until they are 2yrs old it definitely not before that. If you don't know that you probably shouldn't be breeding and should probably get a mentor to evaluate if you have anything worth breeding before you make any solid plans.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 10:27 am

Considering the pup is only 6 weeks old I would focus on other more important aspects of raising her instead of worrying when I could breed her.

Just my thinking of breeding? 2144500265

~Chris~

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 10:29 am

Here are a few threads that might help:

Thinking about breeding?
So you want to be a breeder?

thinking of breeding? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 10:52 am

If you really want to get into breeding, make sure you do it right. First off start with a good quality dog. Make sure it comes from a breeder who health checks their dogs (gets adults OFA'ed and CERF'ed) and shows or works their dogs. Look into showing or working your dog in your area. The purpose of conformation shows is to judge breeding stock. Look into joining a local kennel club. Even if no one else in the club has siberians, you can still learn a lot about breeding from other breeders of different breeds. Also look into helping your local siberian rescue.

As for age, to get proper health tests done, not before 2yrs old.

thinking of breeding? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 1:12 pm

I'm shocked more people are not jumping in on this. I agree, if you have to ask what age you shouldn't be breeding. There are enough puppies and dogs without homes without adding to it.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 3:45 pm

I just think more people arnt jumping im because no one takes this person serious. I know i dont
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 4:04 pm

especially since their second post is asking about breeding. Hopefully the moderators are on it
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 4:13 pm

I think its halrious too tha their dog is only a few weeks old lol
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 5:31 pm

The amount of treats flying around is kind of rediculous folks. It isn't and never will be a like/dislike button.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 5:32 pm

huh? i dont get it
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 6:20 pm

More people aren't on it because it gets old so fast, and I'm mature enough to just ignore it. You can tell them it's irresponsible to breed, but at the end of the day it's not worth it, they're still going to do it.
Back to top Go down
jen1107
Newborn
Newborn
jen1107

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 7:09 pm

Has nothing to do with when the right time to breed is, but this post had me thinking about where Okami came from...

It's soo sad to think that Okami came from a mother who was only 9 months old. I have no idea about it now, but the owners had said it was an accidental breeding and that they were NEVER supposed to breed. Promised that they are spaying the mother after the pups are gone and the mother is nurtured back to health. Now that I think about it though, it doesn't make sense. They own both the male and female dog. If they felt the female was too young to spay and they really "wanted" to prevent the accidental breeding, they should have neutered their 2 year old male first. Just a random thought... But grrr, so angry.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 4:02 am

Gah.. I took a pretty long break from the forum for this exact reason. While it is a good thing and much encouraged to ask questions..when you ask ignorant questions like this..it's just ridiculous. When you have to ask obvious questions like this, it shows that you have no business breeding or even thinking about breeding and makes me think the only reason you even GOT a dog is to pump puppies out for money.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 4:43 am

It is our job to EDUCATE not sit here and bully and down talk people just because they're uninformed or they don't know where to begin looking for information. Coming here and asking a forum of people who love the breed was a step in the right direction.

There is a lot of contradicting information out there. It is not our place to judge the reason for which the person bought the dog or even to assume that they're going to just "pump puppies out for money".

We always have to try and educate - no matter how frustrating it gets or how old. Talking down to people because they "should" know something or it's "easy to find" etc is only going to make those people not want to learn because they were met by those who bullied them and spoke down to them instead of treating them as a normal person who just needed some help and guidance. Some will listen and some won't but just think of the animals who's lives you helped improved by educating that person instead of pushing them away because they were uninformed.

thinking of breeding? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 9:13 am

Not bullying just speaking my mind.. Thats what everyone else says on my posts when i dont agree with them
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 9:21 am

I think most people on here have given you really good advise and pointing you in the right direction.

The thread Tori linked you to will answer most of you're questions and even some you may not have thought to ask.

One thing I would consider before you do decide to breed is the amount of dogs/puppies already in shelters/rescues that need good homes. Volunteering for a day may change you're mind and is a big reality check.

If by the end of this you still feel breeding is a good idea, then please make sure you have you're dog's health checked, find a good mentor to help guide you in the right direction, I wouldn't adertise on craigslist, have a good contract, and screen check all potential adopters to insure all you're puppies are going to great homes, so they don't wind up in a shelter themself.

Another important thing, is make sure you're breeding for the right reasons (bettering the breed is the ideal answer).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: thinking of breeding?   thinking of breeding? Empty

Back to top Go down

thinking of breeding?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1