It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! Empty
PostSubject: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Have at it folks!

I am getting back into cake decorating after a 5+ year long hiatus from the hobby. With my daughter's 1st birthday fast approaching and not finding any bakery willing or able to do what I want I decided to just do her cakes myself.

So I'm doing 2 cakes, an 8 in round smash cake and a half sheet cake which I will actually buy done plainly and decorate myself. I just know I won't have time to bake and decorate 2 cakes in addition to traveling to FL for her birthday, shopping for food, and setting up the outdoor tent and decorations, etc.

Both cakes will be white with buttercream icing. I am one of those people who does not like fondant or royal icing, so buttercream it is.

My original diagrams that I made up for the bakeries to follow:

Original diagram for her 8" smash cake
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! SmallRoundCake_zps11f1a789

The 8" edible image that I had printed and will place on her cake when I make it:
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! RoundCakeImage_zpsb27403e5

Original diagram for her half sheet cake (I have made some minor modifications since and will explain later)
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! HalfSheetCake_zpsaee44cc0

I have since changed what I wanted printed and had the following edible image printed instead:
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! RevisedSheetCakeImage_zpsa9e3fa0b

So for the half sheet cake I am buying one already baked and covered in white buttercream icing with a white top border and a green bottom border. I will be decorating it myself after picking it up. I have the edible image already, which is the size of a letter size sheet of paper, and will place that in the center of the half sheet cake. I have 4 small Winnie the Pooh characters that I will place on the cake as cake toppers. I will make buttercream roses to place on the top of the cake along with smaller flowers of various colors. I will also make green icing stems and leaves on the sides of the cake topped with small flowers of various colors. I will also be placing edible hard sugar candy bees around the cake top and sides to look like they are flying around the flowers.

I am open to other ideas if people have them. For now I've gotta run but I will add more later if I forgot something.

Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Oh god that is cute stuff! I want to see photos when you have it all done!!

I LOVE to bake, and recently got into decorating a bit more. I am not super talented, but for a DIY I'm not too bad, especially for events that arent super crazy. So in the past year, I have done a few cakes and cupcakes for showers and birthdays. Here is my "portfolio" (please be gentle, I know they are o where NEAR professional grade)

This was my sister's shower cake, made with marshmallow fondant (the easiest for me) with a ton of help from some friends. It took use forever and was my first really big one, so its less than perfect,
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! Cake110

This was my sister's giant cupcake for the same occasion
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! Cake210

I made an army of penguins for a friends baby shower, another friend supplied the cupcakes to put them on
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! Cake410

This was the Boobs I made Chris's Grandpa for his 80th, he laughed SO hard.
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! Cake310

and fianlly my neices baptism cake, one of the better ones, however my flowers are still kinda crappy. Ultimatly when its free, you cant complain I guess, my sister and her hubby loved it

All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! Cake510

I have since bought the lettering templates to help with my writing so it doesnt look all crappy (and they were on liquidation for like 2$) My sister asked a friend to make the cake for my neices 1st, which I dotn really mind. I have 2 events I will be making for in the next few months, one baby shower, and my mother's 60th birthday and retirement. The shower is under the sea, so I will use cupcakes and round cakes to make fish like below and my mom will get normal cupcakes but with fun decorations.
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! D1fabc10

Thats about all I have! Would love to see what you guys have done and get tips though!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 6:22 pm

Cute stuff, Kelly! Good luck with the cupcake fish, that looks like a fun project. Do you work with fondant a lot?

I've been brainstorming an Easter cake after Isabella's birthday. And I need more practice with my roses as well. Planning to start practicing my buttercream roses later this week or this weekend. I'm going to just bake a batch of cupcakes and place my practice roses on them.

I will definitely share pics as I go along. I have some pictures of past cakes but I need to find them on my other computer.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 6:50 pm

All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! IMG_20121121_231849
i can bake pumpkin pie.....

All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! IMG_20120907_220128-13
and muffins

All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! IMG_20120406_225910-9
but not cupcakes....

Val cant wait to see the cakes, and kelly good job!

Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 8:17 pm

Lol the last picture cracked me up. All of the above is making me hungry. It's is such a neat hobby. Have you guys taken any classes or self-taught? Most of my baking falls flat...literally. My family seems to think that since I majored in an artistic field I have decorating talent (including cakes) but that's not really the case so far hahaha
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 8:38 pm

Jenn, what about cakes?!

KibaHope, I am self taught. I am not artistic at all but I love decorating cakes. Few things bring me as much joy as cake decorating. I don't care so much for actually baking the cake though, just the decorating part. Lately I have also taken an interest in setting up for photo shoots so I must have at least 2 slightly artistic bones in my body. Razz

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 1:15 am

Val, my cakes turn out like the cupcakes Sad I have always wanted to take a cake decorating class, need to do that still. I refuse to make box cakes and I think that's my issue here in CO, I could bake in PA!

Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 9:06 am

Oh I love this.
Girls I have two friends I grew up with that turned there hobbies (cakes) into businesses. They are on FB if you ever need ideas I have seen some great ones and their FB sites would be good ones to check out. Not saying you do not have great ideas. I love them.
Val if you need more for the cake since you asked not since I think you do what about continuing the confetti from the edible image into the rest of the cake (in icing).

The flat cupcake pic I love.
I never have reason to do my own cake decorations but I have always been a godd cook and a decetn baker.
My mom did a barbie cake I loved growing up she just got a Barbie and stuck it into a mounded cone cake (think bottom of ball dress) and frosted it with ripples then rippled the top of the "chest" and cake done one smart dressed Barbie.

The facebook sites:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/chattygatty?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Kellys-Cakes/491581107554194?fref=ts

Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks guys,
Val I work mostly with the fondant because I find it easier to mold shapes, I have yet to attempt buttercream roses. I tend to get intimidated by little things.....lol.
I just enjoy doing it for parties, it would take a lot of practice for me to get more proficient, and lets face it, I do NOT need that much cake or frosting in my house. Or on my ass.....lol
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 9:23 am

Val I think that cake is going to be adorable! I found something on pinterest that may interest you.
http://www.brasstacksandbasics.com/2011/08/super-fancy-cake-decorating-tutorial.html

Kelly, you have a lot of talent! The baby block's were too cute!

I bake a little myself and am completely obsessed! I find any excuse to do so. I have an album on my facebook and I'll share a couple pictures. It's not the greatest, since I'm still learning and self-taught.

All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! 260144_234514203232637_7039739_n Banana Split Cupcakes
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! 62172_163759826974742_4717202_n German Chocolate Cowboys Cake
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! 316035_301104549906935_24017991_n Halloween Sugar Cookies
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! 375304_333101396707250_1771511670_n Triple Chocolate Cupcakes
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! 431809_375471645803558_1913904260_n Chocolate Cupcake
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! 399945_375475392469850_1895933827_n Poppyseed Poundcake
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! 577207_463588596991862_1089032956_n Neapolitan Cake
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! 484124_509267285757326_752081548_n Tuxedo Cake
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! 253038_529202293763825_1699992532_n Camo Cake
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! 523067_529202807097107_532937909_n Inside Camo Cake
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! 223258_546799325337455_240949373_n Zebra Cupcakes
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! 543620_613678198649567_1463895281_n Vanilla Bean Cupcakes
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! 45357_545347278815993_93338762_n Halloween Chocolate Cupcakes
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! 294699_308106882540035_1981532287_n Red velvet brownies with a white chocolate buttercream frosting
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! 534520_419012588116130_2046594035_n Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! 205355_495680123782709_70133188_n Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins w/cinnamon pecan streusel topping
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! 397925_382961748387881_692420041_n Chocolate Eclair Cupcakes
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 9:37 am

Yum lol!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:43 am

These pics are making me hungry!

Colleen, I was seriously considering adding a little extra colored "confetti" (colored hard sugar candies like I use on rolled sugar cookies) but wasn't sure if it'd be too much. I may bring them with me and make an on the spot decision when I am working on it.

Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:46 am

On the spot would probably work best so that it is not too busy

Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:04 pm

You guys got me wanting to make cupcakes now, lol. I think I'll try a few different combinations out. I was thinking chocolate covered strawberry, boston creme pie, and chocolate peanut butter cupcakes.
Back to top Go down
darbear
Puppy
Puppy
darbear

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:07 pm

All these pictures make me want to eat cakes right now. I love sweets so much. I'm craving them.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:22 pm

Kelly those are all gorgeous! Would you be play with posting recipes for a few? The Poppyseed Poundcake, Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes, and Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins all look beyond fantastic!
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:27 pm

Yeah I should just stop looking at this thread because it makes me want to go eat a fat slice of cake lol. Maybe one day ill take a class or try to learn some sort of technique for this kind of thing. I love it!!
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:57 pm

You guys are making me regret the whole diet thing. lol!

A couple friends back east have also taken their hobbies and made businesses out of it. I've seen some of their creations and they look delish! Very Happy

I'm a pretty good baker. I was MUCH better at sea level, but I'm learning to adjust for the elevation here.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 2:13 pm

Keyda81 wrote:
You guys got me wanting to make cupcakes now, lol. I think I'll try a few different combinations out. I was thinking chocolate covered strawberry, boston creme pie, and chocolate peanut butter cupcakes.

You had me at chocolate peanut butter~ I love you

I seriously had a friend of mine send his mom home with cupcakes from Sprinkles in L.A. one time because I was CRAVING a peanut butter chip cupcake.

I can bake and make some things but my skills are no where near level with some of you guys.

Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 9:09 am

This week I made cupcakes and practiced making butter cream roses on them, here are a few of the results:
All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! IMAG0504_zps4620aa93

And yesterday I made Isabella's smash cake for her first birthday party on Saturday. I had to make it early since we will be traveling. Overall I am mostly happy with it. Although I'm a bit disappointed in how the draping on the sides came out all crooked. Considering I had my husband and baby both running around me, an important phone call interruption and the Neato vacuuming the floor (literally) directly underneath me while I was decorating I am just glad it didn't come out worse. You can definitely tell it's homemade but what can ya do? Rolling Eyes I'd hoped it would come out better but it's not terrible either.

All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! IMAG0502_zps09295d3b

All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! IMAG0503_zps49372f7a

Now I just have to finish off the half sheet cake on Friday. That update will have to wait till after we get back from our trip though.

Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 9:17 am

Wow Val I think the cake is great.. You do alot better than I could.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 9:29 am

Val, I think the cake looks fantastic! You have much more patience than I do lol!
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 9:48 am

It looks fantastic Val!!
Cant wait to see the sheet cake too!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 10:00 am

Val I think it looks great, now it is Thursday so chill a bit and relax and do not forget to tell your self to enjoy the rest of it even if you do feel a bit busy. Great Job! Be proud of yourself I am sure your daughter will love it and so will the guests!

Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 10:10 am

Well thank you ladies, you're too kind. Fingers crossed I do well on the sheet cake. I will try to de-stress on Thursday after we get all the food shopping done. After all this anticipation I'm ready for it all to be over!

Will have another update after the party. Smile

PostSubject: Re: All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!   All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more! Empty

Back to top Go down

All things Cake: Baking, Decorating, Recipes, Photos, Ideas & more!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next