It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Training 8wk old girl

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JayBeeMusik22
Newborn
Newborn
JayBeeMusik22

Male Join date : 2010-05-31

Training 8wk old girl Empty
PostSubject: Training 8wk old girl   Training 8wk old girl EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 12:25 am

Need some suggestions on training my girl puppy on using the bathroom outside (and how to let me know when she needs to go), listening to commands (coming to when called, sitting etc.), and mostly to stop snapping at people (while playing with toys, even no toys or eating food). any other tips are helpful as well! Thanks -John
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Training 8wk old girl   Training 8wk old girl EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 8:55 am

8 weeks is a lil early!!! They are smart dogs but come on! LOL Sniper was hard to potty train! We used pee pads and a crate! The crate will be your best friend and the pups safest spot! i promise! and just work with them. no water after a certain time at night and things like that. be patient. it will come.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Training 8wk old girl   Training 8wk old girl EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 11:29 am

Okay... this is going to take a while, so bear with me.

1. It's never too early to start training and consistency is key! Hopefully you did your research, so you know that huskies are stubborn, independent, and need boundaries! Establishing them firmly at the beginning will help you have a happy and healthy husky pup Smile

2. Let's start with crate training. Is your girl crate trained? If not, I highly suggest starting so now. Crate trained huskies are happy huskies. And they won't need to be in the crate all the time. We can leave our two for about an hour or two loose in the house without issues. You want to make sure the crate is always associated with happy things. NEVER use the crate as punishment. We save very high value treats for crate time only, making it so that our two never mind going in the crates because they know that they'll get a yummy treat when inside. For example, we use peanut butter kongs and marrow bones almost exclusively for crate only eating Smile You'll want to drop regular, small treats into the crate when your pup isn't looking so they can wander in and find something yummy in there. Also try leaving her in for 5 mins at a time while you are home, so she can get used to being in there and not thinking that you're going to leave her. The last point, it will be hard, but ignore her when she whines in there. ONLY open the door when she is calm. You don't want her thinking that if she cries, you'll come to let her out.

3. Potty Training Puppies can generally only "hold it" for as many hours as they are month old. Thus, if she is 2 months old, she can't be expected to hold it longer than 2 hours. The best way to potty train is to set her up to succeed: take her outside every hour, even every half hour if you have to. When she goes outside THROW A PARTY! Give LOTS of praise, hugs, kisses, and have a little playtime afterwards. Do this EVERY time she goes outside. Inside, never punish her unless you catch her in the act! If you do, a real firm and strong "NO!" and immediately take her outside. When she goes outside THROW A PARTY. See the pattern? Smile If things get real tough, I'd use the tether system and keep her tethered to you at all times so you can catch her in the act. When you can't have her with you, put her in the crate. Since the crate should only be big enough for her to walk in, turn around, and lie down in, she shouldn't be tempted to go in there. Dogs don't generally eliminate where they sleep.

4. Start Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF) training immediately. Google search it online if you have to, but the basic concept is that nothing is free. Make her work for everything and establish yourself as the head of the house. When you feed her, make her sit quietly. When she gets a treat, make her sit or lay down. Work on this ALL the time. She doesn't get to do anything unless she works for it. This will help establish you as the "Alpha" (I use that term lightly here) and get her used to following your rules and your orders.

5. Nipping Huskies are very mouthy and often think their play is acceptable to other dogs. If she's only 8 weeks and you know that she needs training, I would think that she was probably taken away from her little too young. Dogs learn manners and bite inhibition from their litter mates between 6-8 weeks old. To stop this, I would treat her like her pack would. When she bites, YELP real loud like another puppy, pull your hand away, turn your back and ignore her. DO NOT give her attention until she stops and calms down. Do this for every bad touch. It takes a lot of time and you won't see results overnight, but this is the best way for her to learn that biting hurts and teeth on skin is not okay.

I think that's enough for now. Let us know if you have more questions! Feel free to PM me if needed. Smile Good luck!

Training 8wk old girl Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Training 8wk old girl   Training 8wk old girl EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 12:38 pm

Congrats on your new girl! i am no help as we adopted older huskies. i will say we are working on some commands as far as training and that never stops, like tori said you need to keep up on everything no matter age.

Newborn
Newborn
JayBeeMusik22

Male Join date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Training 8wk old girl   Training 8wk old girl EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 4:29 pm

Yes I have read up, talked to other husky owners and researched a lot online Before I got my baby girl. I thought it'd be a good idea asking for tips from people (like you guys) to help me even more on training, so thank you guys for the great tips, I will keep you updated on our progress! Thanks much again =] -John
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Training 8wk old girl   Training 8wk old girl EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Great! Sorry that was a mouthful. I tried to be as specific as I could when responding to your inquires. Smile If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Training 8wk old girl Hailey10
Back to top Go down
kurt.tully
Newborn
Newborn
kurt.tully

Male Join date : 2010-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Training 8wk old girl   Training 8wk old girl EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 6:01 pm

Ahhhh. I still remember when my boy was 8 weeks old. We gave him his own little space and used crate training from the get go.

Most dogs are not able to control themselves until they are around 3 months old. I'd say the best advice for this is to have regular feeding times so you can have consistent poos and wees times. Then it's just a matter of putting your husky outside at the appropriate time.

From there I'd say always praise your husky when they are doing their business outside. We have a key command for our husky which is 'good boy' whenever he is doing something great and it's often followed by a treat. This helped him to learn sit, lie down and stay very early in his life Laughing Arrow
Back to top Go down
http://www.huskytips.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training 8wk old girl   Training 8wk old girl Empty

Back to top Go down

Training 8wk old girl

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1