It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain Empty
PostSubject: Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain   Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Evie is fine, thank God, but thought I'd share cuz it scared the heck outta me. I'm always on my son's case for leaving his things on the coffee table in the living room because my girl thinks anything she can reach is fair game to be devoured. I'm usually pretty good at making sure there's nothing left laying around after the kids go to school, but I missed checking the tables 1 day. She wandered into the living room and I caught her just as she snatched something off the coffee table. I had no clue what it was and she is the type that as soon she knows she isn't supposed to have it, she swallows it! And that's what she did. She tried crunching it a couple times first so I could hear it was something hard and plastic-y, but she swallowed it whole. There were 2 action figures left on the table so I thought maybe it was another of those or an accessory or something. She looked at me like I was a crazy person as I was freaking out. I didn't know if it was something tiny, sharp, digestable or not. She was acting like nothing happened and I wouldn't know what it was until my son got home from school hours later. I gave her a couple pieces of bread to eat, to maybe cushion whatever it was. I didn't want to force her to vomit in case it was something sharp. Of course when asked, my son couldn't remember what he had in there that morning. UGH!!! He thought it "might have been" his red lucky rabbit foot keychain, minus the chain part. I still wasn't 100% sure if that was actually what it was or if he was just saying it because I was so mad and insistant that he figure it out. If it was the keychain, I fully expected to be rushing her into the emergency vet. I was most concerned about the metal piece that was on the end and the fact that it was dyed red. I thought her body would probably be able to break down the foot part. I debated calling the vet, but know they would have said bring her right in, do x-rays, and say that it needed to be surgically removed once they saw it. I took the watch and wait approach and at the 1st sign of any change in behavior I would take her in.

Everyday she acted normal. Was eating and drinking fine, pooping normally, and I was a diligent inspector every time she went. Night and day. All looked good, but no signs of anything passing. 6 days later she threw up the metal end piece in her crate while we were out. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. It was the longest week of worry and another lesson learned for all of us. I need to know how to teach her to "drop it" across the board and not just toys. Suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Captain_Husky
Newborn
Newborn
Captain_Husky

Female Join date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain   Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 7:50 pm

shes one lucky dog! lol maybe the Rabbit foot is luck after all. good to hear your dog is fine
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

PostSubject: Re: Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain   Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 8:24 pm

I think you're right! Haha! If only she would eat her food so eagerly
Back to top Go down
Chelsii
Puppy
Puppy
Chelsii

Female Join date : 2013-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain   Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 9:10 pm

This scares me be my Fiance is the same way! (I am a bit, too!) I told him the week before our puppy comes home we're both to practice leaving the place spotless (including putting our SOCKS away!) Since apparently Huskies eat everything!

I'm really glad she's OK!
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

PostSubject: Re: Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain   Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:37 am

Thanks Chelsi, me too! They are really just like infants, exploring the world with their mouths. Evie's 2 tho so I guess it never goes away. Great idea to get in the practice now of making sure there's nothing laying around. Bright side is your house will probably never be cleaner!
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain   Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 9:06 am

Glad to hear everything worked out alright. Lucian ate a crayon once my 3 yr old daughter left laying around. I freaked, until I got on here and everyone told me he'd pass it, and crayons are non-toxic. I swear I couldn't even think straight when he did it, lol.
As for teaching drop it, try doing it with a toy. I throw Lucian's toy and when he comes back with it I'll tell him to drop it, and let him see the treat. He drops the toy right away to get the treat.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain   Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 9:21 am

I have been where there done that.

Blaze tore an arm off of a toy that was about 5-6 inches long and round like the size of a beer bottle
we grab the first one he tore off, looked away for less than a minute and he tore off the other arm and ate it. I called the vet asking about making him throw it up he didn't want to have him do that. suggest we gave him some high fiber wheat bread hoping he would pass it. for 2-3 days he ate drink and poop norm nothing came out. He then threw it up one morning the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

PostSubject: Re: Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain   Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:41 am

Linda, I wonder where these foreign objects are hanging out inside them that it takes so long for their bodies to get them out? When nearly a week had passed, I thought I must have missed something in her poop. Crazy! Will Blaze drop it if you catch him with something he shouldn't have?

That's exactly how I taught Evie to "drop it" Christina and she does great with toys, but something that's a "no no" - all bets are off! It's like she knows and just swallows it fast as she can.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain   Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:06 pm

Yea Blaze will drop it most of the time when I tell him too. I didn't get a chance to tell him to before he has ate it.

Now my other Husky Kerian isn't so got about the drop it we are still working with her.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain   Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 9:58 am

JillC wrote:
Linda, I wonder where these foreign objects are hanging out inside them that it takes so long for their bodies to get them out? When nearly a week had passed, I thought I must have missed something in her poop. Crazy! Will Blaze drop it if you catch him with something he shouldn't have?

That's exactly how I taught Evie to "drop it" Christina and she does great with toys, but something that's a "no no" - all bets are off! It's like she knows and just swallows it fast as she can.

Lucian too, lol. He'll drop toys no problem, and sticks he picks up in the yard when it's time to come in the house. He managed to stick his head in the garbage can the other day and grabbed a piece of pizza. I had to pry it out of his mouth. He was not giving it up easily, and it was just too big to swallow, plus he couldn't chew it up fast enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain   Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain Empty

Back to top Go down

Swallowed a rabbit foot keychain

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1