It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Non-consensual picture taking

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 12:48 am

I honestly think you're really overreacting and it was rude for you to react that way to someone appreciating your dog. Whenever I take my dogs out I always get stopped for pictures of them, I never say no or ask why. Hell, I've had people take pictures with my dogs. Whenever we go to dog events, or even for a walk around downtown I see people taking pictures with their cell phones..Not a big deal to me..

The other day I was on FB and a friend tagged me in a comment in this picture because apparently one of her friends took it
Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 44538_3875703618770_1897735519_n
Or how I found this on a local businesses page..
Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 253010_279047498875054_522653387_n

I guess everyone thinks of things differently, I find it flattering. What I don't find flattering is when my other friends into photography found a bunch of my photos stolen and being sold... /not amused.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 12:53 am

I too find it pretty flattering that people admire my dogs. I do appreciate it when people ask, but the reality is many people do not and I have received some wonderful pictures as a result, most of my sledding pictures were taken by complete strangers! I was just flattered people admire my dogs enough to think we are photo worthy Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 12:58 am

Cool. Different strokes, different folks. General, far out things are fine, like sledding pics. Getting within arms reach without acknowledgment or a hello, totally different.

I'll never agree that it's rude or an overreaction to uphold your principles and your boundaries with people. That's just me. I'm a very private, introverted person.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 1:05 am

I've had people in stores come up and take cell pics, as well as people crowd the chute as we come in to the finish, patting the dogs on the way by so not exactly "far out". To have someone take notice of your dog, which is a reflection of you in the care and pride you take in your dog, is nice even if they aren't up to conversing with the owner for whatever reason. I find when I'm in a rush I put off a stand-offish presence so I don't get as much interaction from the dog admirers as when I appear more approachable Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 1:09 am

People are generally good about reading that stuff around here too Lani, but not always.

My partner was visiting me at work last Saturday with Link, who was in his lap napping. Some guy just walked right up to him without an introduction or a hello or anything and just gave Link the ole' roughin' up the hair on his head rub while saying SSSOOOO CCCUUTTEEE!!!! The three of us, Link included, were stunned.

Puppies seem to have a way with making people lose any sense of decency, normal functioning, and communication.

He is pretty stinkin' cute though.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 10:34 am

Quote :
My partner was visiting me at work last Saturday with Link, who was in his lap napping. Some guy just walked right up to him without an introduction or a hello or anything and just gave Link the ole' roughin' up the hair on his head rub while saying SSSOOOO CCCUUTTEEE!!!! The three of us, Link included, were stunned.
THIS annoys me to no end. If you wanna touch my dog, acknowledge me first. I get it if we're at the dog park and the pups are running around, I've had random dogs run up to me for pets before. But if I'm walking around with my dog or she's in my lap like Link was there, say something to me first. I'd prefer if they'd ask my permission to be honest. My hubby wont let anyone touch Karli that hasn't asked him first, including kids.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am

Seems babies of any species make people lose their minds- However touching is a lot different than snapping a photo- That would be crossing a line, you do not touch without asking and that goes for any breed, just because they are out doesn't mean they are all friendly.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 10:45 am

Quote :
Seems babies of any species make people lose their minds- However touching is a lot different than snapping a photo- That would be crossing a line, you do not touch without asking and that goes for any breed, just because they are out doesn't mean they are all friendly.
EXACTLY!!! For all anyone knows, my dog bites people she doesn't know! She doesn't but its an example. Pictures I don't mind because I myself take them all the time. Little kids especially just run up and wanna touch the puppy. Its scary sometimes.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:13 am

Whether it be dogs or humans, Link doesn't respond very well to apprehension or timidness, it makes him anxious it seems. So yeah, I too worry about this.

When I allow people to pet him and they nervously take their hand over his head to pet his back the whole time I'm going "eeeeekkkkkkkkkk......."

He also doesn't like loud, frantic people. We need to get him a harness that says "medium level calm attention only, please." Smile
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:14 am

seattlesibe wrote:
Well said Dena.

Here in Seattle, people take great exception to limits and boundaries and assertiveness. Anything stated directly without the guise of politeness or passive aggressiveness is turned around on you and you become the villain all of a sudden.

It's personal liberty gone haywire and monsters are created.

Ah the west! I grew up in Colorado, and my family was kinda blunt with each other. People confused the heck out of me until my best friend explained the definition of tact to me when I was 20 lol. It still catches me off guard when I visit, I'm always wondering if someone is actually being nice or not, I have a good innate sense of a persons character, but I'm not too good at picking up on the social cues of what's going on under the surface (ADHD for ya). It cracks me up when my NYC friends go out west and remark how nice everyone is ALL the time, I'm like, yeah... I'm not saying people are jerks or anything, but you're right boundaries are not taken well.

There's a sense of entitlement in a lot of ways. You did bring your dog to MY dog park and I DO a CAMERA, so why should I have to ask? I get a kick out of the personal space needs out in the west too. When my parents come to the city and we walk around together they stand so far away from me by city standard, people actually walk between us. Somewhat off the subject but its interesting that you bring up the boundary issue.

As for the picture thing, I understand why its annoying, I used to be the same way. I'm kind of over it now, mostly because in this city, i'm basically on camera anytime i leave the house. From big brother Bloomberg, to tourists taking pix of everything its unavoidable. I'm probably in a lot of pix all over the world looking annoyed because they decided to block the sidewalk to get a picture of the Christmas tree at stupid Rockefeller center. I agree with you though, you should never feel bad about setting a boundary. Also, remember, some of us dog people love dogs so much because we are a little socially inept with people lol. I'm totally guilty of acknowledging the dog before the person. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:40 am

wpskier222 wrote:
. Also, remember, some of us dog people love dogs so much because we are a little socially inept with people lol. I'm totally guilty of acknowledging the dog before the person. Embarassed

I'm guilty has charged on that. I know the dogs names in my neighborhood but their owners? I think my next door neighbor's name begins with a T. LOL
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 1:32 pm

well I'm guilty of that too but that's because I generally like dogs better than I like people. they're nicer more respectful they smell better and they're usually better behaved.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 1:35 pm

haha and coincidentally it is usually easier to keep dogs out of my personal space than it is to keep humans out. Dogs seem to be a much better judge of character and personality.

They take cues well Wink
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 2:08 pm

I still don't understand what the big deal is. If it was people taking pics of your child that would be weird and concerning, but it's just a dog we're talking here. Some things I will never understand I guess.

Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 2:15 pm

It's really not a big deal. It happened, it annoyed me because I have boundary/privacy issues, and we're just discussing it.

I personally don't understand how some folks feel it is okay to randomly photograph us or our dogs, but that's just me.

It's the nature of online forums to intensify the drama.....in person I'd be lighthearted and laughing with yall....
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 2:20 pm

I would find it flattering and even welcoming. I feel like 90% of people here, even ones at the dog parks, are very nervous around Pippa (Which is hilarious to me because she doesn't have an intimidating face and she's such a derp. She tripped over herself on a walk the other day.). Even when I assure them she's very sweet and loves people, some don't warm up to her.

When I'm running with her, people will sometimes cross the street completely when they see us coming. It's nice to an extent, because there are some sketchy people in the city, but I feel bad when girls my age seem petrified of her.

A picture, even unwarranted, would be nice every once in a while.

ETA: But, I also understand feeling odd when people just walk up and snap a picture. There are definitely lines I think.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 2:23 pm

katiesham wrote:
I would find it flattering and even welcoming. I feel like 90% of people here, even ones at the dog parks, are very nervous around Pippa (Which is hilarious to me because she doesn't have an intimidating face and she's such a derp. She tripped over herself on a walk the other day.). Even when I assure them she's very sweet and loves people, some don't warm up to her.

When I'm running with her, people will sometimes cross the street completely when they see us coming. It's nice to an extent, because there are some sketchy people in the city, but I feel bad when girls my age seem petrified of her.

A picture, even unwarranted, would be nice every once in a while.

ETA: But, I also understand feeling odd when people just walk up and snap a picture. There are definitely lines I think.

I feel you on the people crossing the street thing. Yuki doesn't like people, she gets nervous around them, but in no way is she aggressive, nor has she bitten anyone. Yet every time I'm walking with them I've only had 1 out of every 15 people actually approach me, the rest either walk a different direction or cross the street to avoid me. Yes, fear the 8 month old siberian puppy! Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 1625187496 But thats only in my neighborhood. At the dog park, everyone loves Yuki, and are always trying to get pictures of her and even pet her, shes kinda famous for not letting anyone pet her though.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 2:26 pm

I think living in Seattle will make the attention sibes get worse due to the UW Huskies. I know when we lived there we got more attention due to UW than we have anywhere else, and our sibe commands a lot of attention all the time so it's saying something to note that we got even more attention due to the mascot. Get used to it, it comes with the territory.

Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Well I can say i was only approached once by a couple if kids that wanted a picture if them with my Nikita they did ask due to i was actually giving her a ride in the car..lol but if i was at the park and someone took a pic i would not mind at all heck she is a beautiful sweetheart and people respond to that i guess
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 4:10 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
I think living in Seattle will make the attention sibes get worse due to the UW Huskies. I know when we lived there we got more attention due to UW than we have anywhere else, and our sibe commands a lot of attention all the time so it's saying something to note that we got even more attention due to the mascot. Get used to it, it comes with the territory.

haha, yep. So many people ask if he's the next mascot or if he is gonna be ready for football season. I know Rhia gets this a lot too with Korra when she is on campus.

People in their UW gear flock to him for sure.

I have yet to take Link to campus. That'll be fun!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 4:13 pm

Link is not the UW masked variety of Husky though Smile
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 4:53 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Link is not the UW masked variety of Husky though Smile
The UW variety of husky is mal, or so I hear.
I do get asked if I'm a handler or if she's Dubs on campus a TON, but then, I sort of come expecting that so it's fine.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 5:25 pm

HA! Living on the other side of the state I'm a 'traitor' for having Huskies, but not like I can legally have cougars (nor am I old enough to qualify to be one Wink ). But I get some of the same reactions from people when I'm in Petsmart or the likes there of.

Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 5:31 pm

You should come to Seattle and we can all ramsack UW with a team of Huskies!!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 5:33 pm

Photos with Huskies day! $25 per photo (with explicit consent) and proceeds help pay Rhia's tuition Smile let's do it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Non-consensual picture taking   Non-consensual picture taking - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Non-consensual picture taking

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next