It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 7:55 pm

Couldn't live without my dog door. Was worried at first letting them have free run pf the yard and house while at work but it's been okay.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:22 pm

Claudia, it was the same with my hubby. I begged for another for months before we started the search. He immediately bonded with Kody and boy does Kody LOVE HIS DADDY! Believe me when I say that it really doesn't disrupt the bond with your current doggie. I thought it might as well, but Mya seems pretty happy to have Kody around. He entertains her...that's for sure! At first she wasn't too happy, but she plays with him all of the time! GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!! DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 10:13 pm

It's definitely worth waiting until you have both of you "all in" Smile You'll get there!

Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 11:53 pm

Koda wrote:
It's definitely worth waiting until you have both of you "all in" Smile You'll get there!

Agreed.

Claudia, I begged for a second dog for about a year before my hubby finally gave me the go ahead. I really think he was just tired of my begging. lol Anyway, when the chance to adopt Faith came along (I really believe it was fate b/c of how it all happened, long story though) hubby was smitten with Faith's picture so we decided to meet her. OMG that meeting sealed the deal and Faith has been "daddy's girl" ever since. I think what was really important though was that hubby really picked out our second dog since our first (Dakota) was really "my" boy and my pick. Letting hubby pick out the second really ensured that he was all in and completely happy with the decision. To this day, Faith has him wrapped about her little paw and they are best buds. Ask him now and getting our second dog was his best decision ever, he cannot imagine life without his little Faith. Maybe letting JD take the lead on picking your second would get him more on board with it.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 12:06 am

Huskyluv wrote:
Koda wrote:

Agreed.

....Maybe letting JD take the lead on picking your second would get him more on board with it.

I agree that I should just be patient because it'll happen at the right time. What's funny is when we met Ginger, I knew it would be her that we would take home, but JD wanted to look at a couple of other Sibes at the rescue yard, and oddly enough, they were all whites and 2 were males (the 3rd he looked at was another female). We ended up going home with no dog, but calling the next day to say we wanted to take home Ginger. It took a while for him and Ginger to bond, but if you ask him now, he'll say it was Ginger all along!

Then when Sully came, although I was the one that 'told' him we were going to foster Sully (I didn't really give him a choice), and I was the one home all day, JD and Sully bonded almost instantly, and I could tell JD really enjoyed having Sully around. And I could tell he missed Sully for a little bit after he went home with Dr. Miller.

Sometimes JD needs to be thrown into things and sometimes he needs to take his time to decide. This is one that I cannot tell, and until it's clear that he's ready, I don't mind waiting! Smile

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 12:08 am

Sorry to go off track on the subject of this thread...

Back to Kody...he's doing better.
Let's hope he doesn't go counter surfing again to set him back again.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 10:25 am

Don't mean to hop off topic again but getting Cheyenne was the best thing we ever did! Mickey was my boy and my ex knew that. Cheyenne was such a little daddys girl! He LOVED her! So did I... but the whole destruction/year long housebreaking/other obnoxious things really hindered our relationship until he left. Now I can't see life without my princess!

Well. I can't see life without any of my crazy dogs lol

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 10:37 am

arooroomom wrote:
Don't mean to hop off topic again but getting Cheyenne was the best thing we ever did! Mickey was my boy and my ex knew that. Cheyenne was such a little daddys girl! He LOVED her! So did I... but the whole destruction/year long housebreaking/other obnoxious things really hindered our relationship until he left. Now I can't see life without my princess!

Well. I can't see life without any of my crazy dogs lol

You and me both!!!!! I get so stressed out and have even cried a few times (lol), but I LOVE THEM SO MUCH! After i get mad at them I feel so bad and go apologize..lol.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 10:38 am

Oh, and Claudia, so far so good! Mya's food now waits on top of the fridge. He'll need doggie springs to get up there! lol!

He did eat a piece of one of my tank tops straps..grrrrrr!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 10:46 am

MelissaI wrote:
Oh, and Claudia, so far so good! Mya's food now waits on top of the fridge. He'll need doggie springs to get up there! lol!

He did eat a piece of one of my tank tops straps..grrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Good to hear he's doing good so far....and good-doggy-heavens!? Tank top strap?? What is with him and eating clothing? Or is this just one of the 'normal' husky traits where they like to eat clothing if they can get at it??

OYE!!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 1:34 pm

Mya had an underwear eating issue when she was younger..lol! So I'm guessing husky pups like to eat clothing! In Kody's case he likes to eat anything and everything!!! Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 85993
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 1:46 pm

I think that it's just a husky thing, but I also think that it's hunger. Hailey went through a period of eating all our blankets and towels if we left them out around her. That stopped when we increased her food portions (we had decreased them to cut her weight down cause we had been over feeding her). Could have been a total coincidence, but I don't think it was. Considering Kody is definitely going through some tummy trouble/food issues, it could be adding to any previous inclination he had to eating clothes Smile Just a thought!

Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 3:35 pm

You're right Tori! He always seems hungry! Even though he does eat and he's stool's have been formed. But he's like ALWAYS hungry! lol
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi! Just wanted to give you guys an update on Kody. He's now on his full serving of THK Embark. I'm still giving him his raw ground beef since he loves it, but only once a day. In the morning i give him 1 cup of THK and 1/2 cup of meat and in the evening 1 1/2 cups of THK. He's still getting his carrots as treats. I think I can start incorporating something else now. What would you suggest? Also, do you think I'm feeding him enough? He weighs 40lbs.

Thanks girls!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 2:20 pm

That sounds like more than enough. My 55 lb adult sibe gets 1 cup of THK Keen per day on the days he eat THK. On his raw days he eats 1 lb of raw bone-in meat. Either way, he eats 1 lb of food per day.

If you are feeding Kody 2.5 cups of THK (which equals 2.5 lbs) and half a cup of meat, he is getting somewhere between 2.5 and 3 lbs of food per day which should be plenty. Since he's thin and still a growing young boy that should be fine but once he reaches adulthood and levels out you may want to decrease his daily amounts to a point that will maintain his weight.

Are you looking to add new raw meats to his diet? If so, the sky's the limit. I would try a different protein source such a chicken, turkey, or pork before going on to more "exotic" meats like venison, rabbit, quail, etc. Since Kody seems to be sensitive though, I'd start small and build up to larger amounts gradually. Tonight I'm feeding Dakota 1/2 lb (= 1/2 cup) of Keen with 1/2 lb of raw ground turkey. He loves it!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 2:32 pm

His plate of food does seem heavy, but since he's always starving he eats it within 5min so I wasn't sure if that was enough. Once he's fully grown I'll decrease it. Mya doesn't even eat half of that!

Yep, I was thinking raw! The ground turkey sounds like a good choice. I'll try that =) Thanks Val!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 3:42 pm

Start with a small amount when you do the ground turkey to see if his stomach will tolerate though. Good luck!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Yep, definitely small amount. Baby steps with Kody Mc Kody (his new nick name..lol)
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 4:09 pm

As of yesterday I started giving Kody more raw and less THK because I can NOT take the amount of poop and the number times he goes during the day! LOL!

He even wakes me up twice in the middle of the night because he has to go!!! Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 85993

In the morning i had been giving him a cup of THK along with 1/2 cup of raw. In the evening he was getting 1/2 cup THK and 1/2 raw. Total of 2 1/2 cups of food daily. I know this sounds like a lot, but he's so skinny and still growing. Once he's grown I'll decrease that for sure!

Anyways, I'm starting to give him THK only in the morning and raw in the evening. Yesterday, for example, I gave him 1/2 cup of THK and 1 cup raw in the morning and 1 cup raw in the evening still totaling his 2 1/2 cups.

I hope this works!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 4:16 pm

So I take it he's still doing well on the raw food? Increasing his raw portions and decreasing his HK should definitely result in less stool volume. Let us know how it goes!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 4:43 pm

Yep, still doing well on the raw. Thank goodness!!!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 5:01 pm

It's a miracle-worker i'll tell ya that Wink

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 6:43 pm

I remember when we just adopted Ginger and we took her to the farmer's market. There was a guy selling his ground, raw pet food. At that time, we've met a person that fed raw, and heard of other people feeding raw, but had no clue on raw feeding. As we stood by, listening to this guy give his pitch on raw feeding, we ran into a friend who said, 'I asked my vet about that and my vet said 'No way!'. You'll have diarreha for a week!' Or maybe he fed raw to his Springer Spaniel and he had diarreha for a week....whatever....

Look at me now! HA! I wonder what my friend would say if/when he learns that Ginger eats a little raw chicken...? scratch

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 7:39 pm

When i got home he pooped so much less! Wheewww that's a lot better. I've read in a few other threads that with feeding raw you have to make sure that they're getting the necessary nutrients. So does me feeding him less THK daily still provide him with the nutrients he needs? I also give him omega 3 and now vitamin E (thanks for that advice Kristina). As for his raw he's currently doing well on ground beef and turkey. My next step is the chicken!

I looked at the quarters at the grocery store yesterday and, Kristina, they're big girl! Makes me nervous Laughing !

Claudia, I saw the drummettes (however you spell that) that you give Ginger. I didn't think I would find that, but yep, they're there!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Oh wow did I jinx this!!!! So coincidentally we're making chicken drumsticks for dinner. The open pack or raw drumsticks is on the counter waiting for the olive oil to warm so that we can sear them and throw them in the oven. 5 seconds I leave them there to come see if any work emails had come through...I turn around and guess who was grabbing a drumstick?!!?! He ran away with it and was trying to swallow it because he got scared knowing that he shouldn't have done that. I was able to grab it from his mouth and at that point had no choice, but to let him have it since he was definitely putting up a fight for it. Trying pulling out a slipper drumstick from a husky (lol). I held it for him for like 10min while he ate it until he gave up and left the skinny bony part and a few other of the bone parts that he spit out, but it was pretty much gone. Oh geez, I hope this goes well with his tummy!!!!!!!!! I guess he likes it though..LOL!!!

I feel horrible...these things only happen to me!!! He was laying in the living room ...tired out from playing with Mya...who would think in 5 seconds he would make it over there! I was going to eventually give him raw chicken, but not today!

I'm happy it was only chicken and not something else though.

Fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next