It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Crate Training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

crate - Crate Training - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

I wsa thinking just a small light just so he feels like it is day time still..
Back to top Go down
sofi.mitchell
Newborn
Newborn
sofi.mitchell

Female Join date : 2012-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks so much everyone. We left the light on last night and he just whined for a few seconds before going to sleep. We didn't even need a radio for him. Is it possible for huskies to just be scared of the dark?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 5:40 pm

He's young, he could be scared of anything. So glad it worked! Smile

crate - Crate Training - Page 3 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
matthall
Newborn
Newborn
matthall

Female Join date : 2012-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:44 pm

Alright, new to huskies so bare with me if I seem stupid, and yes, I have done extensive research before getting one but you can't know everything, right?

So I have just gotten my Husky, Keyana (pictured), on Sunday April 28. She is 10.5 months old and has NEVER been crated as her previous owners have told me. She is a very calm dog when it comes to being around people but has a bit of food aggression which I am working on. Yesterday, Monday, she had pooped and peed on the floor at my house. My landlord who lives with me also has a dog so she comes home to let the dogs out during lunch. I had let her out before I had left for work and she had done her business. Maybe it is a new surrounding thing but today after taking her out in the morning, she didn't go pee or poop even though I was still out there for 10+ mins. Just before I left for our walk, my gf had taken her out and even then she didn't use the bathroom even though she went to the door. Once inside, we had our backs turned and then noticed that she had went pee and poop on the floor. If this wasn't worse enough, after I left for work my landlord text me and let me know that she had pooped in her room as well! I think it's time that she start crate training as it would help with potty training right?
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Quote :
I think it's time that she start crate training as it would help with potty training right?

The only sure things in life are death and taxes, but yes it should help Razz. Generally speaking a "normal" or sane animal won't evacuate in the area they sleep. If you limit that space then it should help in this regard.

That being said I don't envy you the task of having to start this now. Take it as slow as you can and try and be understanding. I'm sure if she was never crated until now it will be a bit of a battle.

While working on the crate itself you can also be working on a couple of things that may help.

- Disinfect and clean as best you can the spot she evacuates on... I'm sure it goes without saying but if she can smell that area again she will do it again in that exact same spot.

- When she does start to "go" outside make a HUGE deal about it. "GOOD GIRL"s all around, Pets and Play time. Maybe even a treat. Try not to reprimand her "going" inside unless you actually catch her in the act.

- Walking and activity can actually help a BM start along. If you find your pup not going when you need them to try and fit a walk or run in somehow.

- Sometimes 10 minutes isn't enough. For now at least you might need to spend as much time as you can outside getting Keyana to "go". If your leaving water down for her all day don't. Cut her water supply off before you leave to limit the chances of accidents.

I know the last one is rough, sometimes you just can't find the time to stay out but doing what you can to limit the amount of accidents will go a long way.

I'm sure you knew most if not all of this Razz But it never hurts to be overly cautious.

The long and short of it is yes, the crate training should help you deal with the accidents in the house. Just don't expect it to work over night.

Hope it helps, and best of luck to both of you. Let us know how it is going or if you need to bounce some ideas of anyone. These people have helped me a lot with my problems Razz

~Chris~
Back to top Go down
matthall
Newborn
Newborn
matthall

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks Chris. I will definitely work on all of these things mentioned. I went to the grocery store yesterday and meant to get treats for her but once again forgot so I will have to get some after work. I have been praising her like crazy when she goes outside though. I will have to go home and wash the floor tonight. Hopefully once she settles in, it will decrease her going in the house.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 2:00 pm

I'm sure a lot of it just has to do with the relocation.

Like anything else it's just going to take a little bit of time for you both to settle in and accept each others flaws. It's all about bonding right now Smile

Just make sure your rules are apparent and your firm but loving. I'm sure you'll both be fine.

~Chris~

Newborn
Newborn
matthall

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 2:12 pm

Thanks Chris! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

Female Join date : 2012-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 3:20 am

So we just bought our puppy a crate that is large and my poor husband thought there was a separator in it but it unfortunately didn't come with one. I'm afraid to put her in there right now for the night because one, it's her first time home with us and in a crate and two, it being such a large area, I think she'll feel it's ok to potty on one side and sleep on the other. Any quick suggestions?
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 3:59 am

SnowPatrol wrote:
So we just bought our puppy a crate that is large and my poor husband thought there was a separator in it but it unfortunately didn't come with one. I'm afraid to put her in there right now for the night because one, it's her first time home with us and in a crate and two, it being such a large area, I think she'll feel it's ok to potty on one side and sleep on the other. Any quick suggestions?

any kind of solid makeshift divider that is in no risk of falling over is your best bet. is the man of the house a mcguyver? lol

The crate is still your best bet for the night, even if it's too big. I'd rather clean urine out of a crate than my bed -_-. I've done both haha.
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 4:07 am

The man of the house has his apnea mask on and is out cold, leaving me to my own annoyed devices. (Annoyed with him, not my pup). So I used the box and put a plastic bucket behind it. It's all I have but here's what I ended up with.

crate - Crate Training - Page 3 0722ffeacrate - Crate Training - Page 3 15f557e1

I still think there's too much room in there but it's the best I could do.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 4:13 am

oh that'll be okay for one night, no worries at all. not bad!
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 4:24 am

Thanks for your help Smile she's throwing an all out tantrum but luckily I'm very tired with no chance of giving in!
Back to top Go down
KairiLA
Puppy
Puppy
KairiLA

Female Join date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 9:59 am

She's so adorable! Hope the first night ended ok Smile. After three nights Kairi was good about sleeping in the crate at night. Still working on her loving it during the daytime when we are at work. Congrats!
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 4:47 pm

KairiLA wrote:
. Still working on her loving it during the daytime when we are at work. Congrats!

Be prepared to work on that for a little while. Razz.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 1:44 pm

Hmmm should I crate train? I know I should have when she was a puppy but I lived in a condo with a psyco neighbor down stairs (literally she was a crazy old women on meds, my brother was training to be a police officer and had to move because she was causing problems/confrontations and he could of lost his job) anyway. I couldn't have her screaming and howling so... She's about 2 and a half, I feel bad about leaving her in a small crate and she does fine in my room w my min pin, they dont destroy anything... So is there a reason to?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 2:59 pm

Don't fix what isn't broken.

crate - Crate Training - Page 3 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 3:44 pm

Koda wrote:

Agreed. We crated Delilah when we first got her, she was an adult. We only did it so the cats could adjust to her easily. She has since earned living room privileges and doesn't destroy, just sleeps. Cato is very good too. We don't crate him at night, he insists on sleeping right at our feet in the same spot, only gets up to lick our faces for potty time and then goes right back to bed. I thought about crate training him, but he is doing so great...I didn't think he needed to.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 4:39 pm

Koda wrote:

I agree. Kerian was crate before we got her so she sleeps in the crate at night my husband wants to work and letting her sleep in the bedroom like Blaze does. Blaze threw a fit the first night we had him that John would not make him stay in the crate so he does not sleep in the crate.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 5:58 pm

Maggie is crate trained. She has a very very calm temperament. She never chewed on anything but bones and toys. Im doing it for a safety just in case. I could stop crating her at night but she loves her crate. She goes in there and sleeps.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 6:05 pm

I don't crate Kale at night, he sleeps on my bed haha he has since he was 5 months. I only crate him 3 times a week for a max of 3 hrs at a time when there's no one home and I'm at work. (he destructive during the daytime, fully trustworthy at night- weirdo) lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Petra13
Newborn
Newborn
Petra13

Male Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 5:14 pm

here smth that can be useful to ya Very Happy

CRATE TRAINING

Crate training is wonderful for the dogs and for the owners. The training process is similar for pups and for older dogs. Pups have specific aspects to be considered. Older dogs that have never experienced a crate OR have had a negative experience with crates will require some specific considerations. However, the basic principles apply across the board.

The crates need to be 'large' enough to allow the pup/dog to stand, turn, and lay down comfortably. The crates need to be 'small' enough so they do NOT allow for BOTH a living area and a potty area...this would compromise the housebreaking process. The length of time the dogs are crated should be reasonable and coupled with ample DAILY opportunities for EXERCISE and PLAY!!! Pups/dogs do not want to soil the area where they sleep and eat. They may have a couple of accidents, but they will quickly realize this is not a good plan...YUK! If your dog has repeated accidents and you are doing ALL the right things, you will need to have the pup/dog checked for possible physical problems.

Pups/dogs like to have their OWN place/den. The crating (if handled properly & fairly) provides this to them. The crating will greatly benefit the housetraining process. Also, it will save the pup/dog and you from unnecessary stress due to 'destructive' behavior.

Dogs should NEVER be crated as punishment or banishment. We want them to like their crate and this would make the crate a 'bad' place for the dogs. If you leave your pup/ dog crated for an inordinate amount of time...this is CRUEL. If you do not follow the regimen of ensuring they have pottied 'before' being crated, this is cruel. They will HAVE to go... they will try so hard NOT to mess their crate. Unfortunately, they will 'physically' have no option and the emotional trauma of this is indescribable. Additionally, if a pup/dog is repeatedly 'forced' to go potty in their crate and then lay in it...this becomes a health concern... coupled with the emotional anxiety.

Here are some helpful hints that will help in your use of the crate:

Make sure you have the correct size crate...neither too large OR too small.

Be reasonable in the length of time your pup/dog is crated.

Make sure the pup/dog has ample exercise/play sessions. It is recommended that they have a 'play/walk session' in the morning and in the evening.

Make sure the pup/dog potties just before being crated.

Feed the dog with 'enough time' to potty them before crating. For pups this may be 15-30 min. For older dogs, this could be 30 min. to one hour. If you feed your dog & crate them immediately, they will not have had an opportunity to 'eliminate' fully. It takes a little while for the food and/or water to work through their system. If you crate them before this process has completed...they will HAVE to go after being crated.

Do not leave food or water in the crate. If they eat or drink while crated, they will have to potty. If you must leave water, put a few ice cubes in their dish to melt. This will prevent them from drinking a large amount at one time.

Put a T-shirt you have slept in or worn in the crate. This will be comforting because this will provide your 'scent' in their crate. I recommend having a couple of scented T-shirts, so you can change them out if they do become soiled OR just to give a fresh scented one.
AT NIGHT SUGGESTIONS:

Do not leave a toy in the crate at night. If they wake up during the night and play with the toy, this will stimulate their system & they will have to potty.

It is recommended that the crate be in your bedroom for night sleep.

Pick up the water an hour before bedtime. Same concept as removing water from a child before bedtime.

All pups/ dogs should be crated at night...UNTIL they are reliable in the potty and destructive behavior areas.
You can help prevent or minimize separation anxiety by not making a big deal when you crate and leave or return to the pup/dog. This means, when you crate them and you are going to leave... do not interact with them 'just' prior to you leaving. Don't tell them that Mom/Dad will be right back or you be good, whatever. Just no big production at all. By the same token, when you return...do not overly interact with the pup/dog until they have been let out to go potty. Then, you can let them know how spectacular it is to be home and be with them. Now, this process can be modified....but, the premise is that too much interaction BEFORE you leave will increase their anxiety and anticipation of you leaving...being left alone! The over interaction immediately when you RETURN...will only reinforce that being left alone is stressful... especially, when compared to the wonderful outpouring of emotions when Mom/Dad returns. This will only INCREASE their anxiety while you are away...they will become 'obsessed' with Mom/Dad returning.

Leaving a TV or Radio on will help keep them company and not feel so alone. Be sure to turn one of these ON at different time intervals BEFORE you leave...so, they don't learn that this is the SIGN that you are going to leave them. Giving them toys, the cube toys to work to get their treats out of, or a bone stuffed with peanut butter or cheese smushed in the ends will provide hours of entertainment, will occupy them, and will be self rewarding.

INTRODUCING YOUR PUP/DOG TO THE CRATE:

Start slow and positive. Take a treat and toss it into the crate, say 'kennel'. The pup/dog will go in after it (or stretch their head in just enough to get it). When they get the treat, QUICKLY praise them. You want to make certain you praise them when the get any part of their body into the crate for the treat. If you are 'late' on the praise, you will be praising them for EXITING the crate. They must be praised for being IN the crate...NOT exiting the crate. Do this several times. Then when they go in for the treat...praise and push the door of the crate closed (do not latch). You will immediately open the door. Repeat this process several times...always being careful to praise while they are IN the crate. NEVER praise/treat as they exit. Decide on a command word...kennel or whatever. Use this each time you want the pup/dog to go into their crate.

GRADUALLY, increase the length of time you keep the door pushed closed. As this time increases, praise the dog while they are in the crate and give them another treat while they are IN the crate. The next phase is to actually latch the door shut. Praise and treat while they are IN the crate with the door latched. Build the time that you keep the door latched very slowly. This is teaching the pup/dog that the crate is a great place where they are praised and get treats. NEVER PRAISE ON THEIR EXIT. They are also learning that the crate is not a TRAP and the door always OPENS!!! Now, of course the amount of time before the door opens varies and will ultimately be lengthy....BUT, they will have solidly learned that they will always 'get out' of the crate. To make this phase even more fun and reinforcing, while they are in the crate have the pup/dog SIT...then, treat and praise. This makes it a real activity for them. You will actually see the dog start to 'offer' the behavior. They will go into the crate on their own, turn and SIT...waiting for their praise and treat!!!!

The next phase will have you doing the above steps and while the crate door is closed, you will walk across the room...with your back to the pup/dog. Pick up a book or look at something that shows you are involved in something OTHER than them. Initially, you can praise with your back turned. Ultimately, you will walk away, back turned, thumb through a book, say nothing....then, very nonchalantly return to the pup/dog. At this point, give them a treat and praise them. Only AFTER you have given them a treat and praised them, do you open the crate door.

This process may seem very time consuming and IT IS!!! However, if you are taking on the enormous responsibility of a pup/dog...you must be willing to devote the time and effort that will make their life and your life with them REWARDING. The amount of time you will spend crate training your pup/dog is minimal when compared to the amount of time they will be spending in their crate. This can be a wonderful thing for your pup/dog OR it can be UNFAIR or CRUEL. The choice is yours. Compare these options to leaving the untrained pup/dog OUT loose, the TRAUMA they and you will endure each time you return home and they have pottied in the house OR been destructive.

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME & EFFORT to properly crate train you pup/ dog. Give them the chance to experience the safety, security, and self confidence a crate provides them. Let the crate HELP and make the housetraining process easier. SAVE them and you from having to go through the daily anguish associated with potty accidents and natural destructiveness that will occur if they are left out loose (even in a confined area). WE place the pup/dog in OUR environment. We expect them to live by OUR rules. We owe it to the pup/dog to give them what they need to adapt to our world and the rules we impose on them. And, many of our rules and our environment actually contradict many of the pup/dog's innate...natural behaviors. They will adapt and they will conform.....IF, WE WILL ONLY BE FAIR AND GIVE THEM THE CHANCE TO LEARN WHAT WE WANT!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 2:14 pm

Petra13 wrote:
here smth that can be useful to ya Very Happy

CRATE TRAINING

Crate training is wonderful for the dogs and for the owners. The training process is similar for pups and for older dogs. Pups have specific aspects to be considered. Older dogs that have never experienced a crate OR have had a negative experience with crates will require some specific considerations. However, the basic principles apply across the board.

The crates need to be 'large' enough to allow the pup/dog to stand, turn, and lay down comfortably. The crates need to be 'small' enough so they do NOT allow for BOTH a living area and a potty area...this would compromise the housebreaking process. The length of time the dogs are crated should be reasonable and coupled with ample DAILY opportunities for EXERCISE and PLAY!!! Pups/dogs do not want to soil the area where they sleep and eat. They may have a couple of accidents, but they will quickly realize this is not a good plan...YUK! If your dog has repeated accidents and you are doing ALL the right things, you will need to have the pup/dog checked for possible physical problems.

Pups/dogs like to have their OWN place/den. The crating (if handled properly & fairly) provides this to them. The crating will greatly benefit the housetraining process. Also, it will save the pup/dog and you from unnecessary stress due to 'destructive' behavior.

Dogs should NEVER be crated as punishment or banishment. We want them to like their crate and this would make the crate a 'bad' place for the dogs. If you leave your pup/ dog crated for an inordinate amount of time...this is CRUEL. If you do not follow the regimen of ensuring they have pottied 'before' being crated, this is cruel. They will HAVE to go... they will try so hard NOT to mess their crate. Unfortunately, they will 'physically' have no option and the emotional trauma of this is indescribable. Additionally, if a pup/dog is repeatedly 'forced' to go potty in their crate and then lay in it...this becomes a health concern... coupled with the emotional anxiety.

Here are some helpful hints that will help in your use of the crate:

Make sure you have the correct size crate...neither too large OR too small.

Be reasonable in the length of time your pup/dog is crated.

Make sure the pup/dog has ample exercise/play sessions. It is recommended that they have a 'play/walk session' in the morning and in the evening.

Make sure the pup/dog potties just before being crated.

Feed the dog with 'enough time' to potty them before crating. For pups this may be 15-30 min. For older dogs, this could be 30 min. to one hour. If you feed your dog & crate them immediately, they will not have had an opportunity to 'eliminate' fully. It takes a little while for the food and/or water to work through their system. If you crate them before this process has completed...they will HAVE to go after being crated.

Do not leave food or water in the crate. If they eat or drink while crated, they will have to potty. If you must leave water, put a few ice cubes in their dish to melt. This will prevent them from drinking a large amount at one time.

Put a T-shirt you have slept in or worn in the crate. This will be comforting because this will provide your 'scent' in their crate. I recommend having a couple of scented T-shirts, so you can change them out if they do become soiled OR just to give a fresh scented one.
AT NIGHT SUGGESTIONS:

Do not leave a toy in the crate at night. If they wake up during the night and play with the toy, this will stimulate their system & they will have to potty.

It is recommended that the crate be in your bedroom for night sleep.

Pick up the water an hour before bedtime. Same concept as removing water from a child before bedtime.

All pups/ dogs should be crated at night...UNTIL they are reliable in the potty and destructive behavior areas.
You can help prevent or minimize separation anxiety by not making a big deal when you crate and leave or return to the pup/dog. This means, when you crate them and you are going to leave... do not interact with them 'just' prior to you leaving. Don't tell them that Mom/Dad will be right back or you be good, whatever. Just no big production at all. By the same token, when you return...do not overly interact with the pup/dog until they have been let out to go potty. Then, you can let them know how spectacular it is to be home and be with them. Now, this process can be modified....but, the premise is that too much interaction BEFORE you leave will increase their anxiety and anticipation of you leaving...being left alone! The over interaction immediately when you RETURN...will only reinforce that being left alone is stressful... especially, when compared to the wonderful outpouring of emotions when Mom/Dad returns. This will only INCREASE their anxiety while you are away...they will become 'obsessed' with Mom/Dad returning.

Leaving a TV or Radio on will help keep them company and not feel so alone. Be sure to turn one of these ON at different time intervals BEFORE you leave...so, they don't learn that this is the SIGN that you are going to leave them. Giving them toys, the cube toys to work to get their treats out of, or a bone stuffed with peanut butter or cheese smushed in the ends will provide hours of entertainment, will occupy them, and will be self rewarding.

INTRODUCING YOUR PUP/DOG TO THE CRATE:

Start slow and positive. Take a treat and toss it into the crate, say 'kennel'. The pup/dog will go in after it (or stretch their head in just enough to get it). When they get the treat, QUICKLY praise them. You want to make certain you praise them when the get any part of their body into the crate for the treat. If you are 'late' on the praise, you will be praising them for EXITING the crate. They must be praised for being IN the crate...NOT exiting the crate. Do this several times. Then when they go in for the treat...praise and push the door of the crate closed (do not latch). You will immediately open the door. Repeat this process several times...always being careful to praise while they are IN the crate. NEVER praise/treat as they exit. Decide on a command word...kennel or whatever. Use this each time you want the pup/dog to go into their crate.

GRADUALLY, increase the length of time you keep the door pushed closed. As this time increases, praise the dog while they are in the crate and give them another treat while they are IN the crate. The next phase is to actually latch the door shut. Praise and treat while they are IN the crate with the door latched. Build the time that you keep the door latched very slowly. This is teaching the pup/dog that the crate is a great place where they are praised and get treats. NEVER PRAISE ON THEIR EXIT. They are also learning that the crate is not a TRAP and the door always OPENS!!! Now, of course the amount of time before the door opens varies and will ultimately be lengthy....BUT, they will have solidly learned that they will always 'get out' of the crate. To make this phase even more fun and reinforcing, while they are in the crate have the pup/dog SIT...then, treat and praise. This makes it a real activity for them. You will actually see the dog start to 'offer' the behavior. They will go into the crate on their own, turn and SIT...waiting for their praise and treat!!!!

The next phase will have you doing the above steps and while the crate door is closed, you will walk across the room...with your back to the pup/dog. Pick up a book or look at something that shows you are involved in something OTHER than them. Initially, you can praise with your back turned. Ultimately, you will walk away, back turned, thumb through a book, say nothing....then, very nonchalantly return to the pup/dog. At this point, give them a treat and praise them. Only AFTER you have given them a treat and praised them, do you open the crate door.

This process may seem very time consuming and IT IS!!! However, if you are taking on the enormous responsibility of a pup/dog...you must be willing to devote the time and effort that will make their life and your life with them REWARDING. The amount of time you will spend crate training your pup/dog is minimal when compared to the amount of time they will be spending in their crate. This can be a wonderful thing for your pup/dog OR it can be UNFAIR or CRUEL. The choice is yours. Compare these options to leaving the untrained pup/dog OUT loose, the TRAUMA they and you will endure each time you return home and they have pottied in the house OR been destructive.

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME & EFFORT to properly crate train you pup/ dog. Give them the chance to experience the safety, security, and self confidence a crate provides them. Let the crate HELP and make the housetraining process easier. SAVE them and you from having to go through the daily anguish associated with potty accidents and natural destructiveness that will occur if they are left out loose (even in a confined area). WE place the pup/dog in OUR environment. We expect them to live by OUR rules. We owe it to the pup/dog to give them what they need to adapt to our world and the rules we impose on them. And, many of our rules and our environment actually contradict many of the pup/dog's innate...natural behaviors. They will adapt and they will conform.....IF, WE WILL ONLY BE FAIR AND GIVE THEM THE CHANCE TO LEARN WHAT WE WANT!

Petra13, if you are going to copy and paste someone else's work please give the author credit and/or post the link to the source as people might think you are passing off this information as your own.

Newborn
Newborn
Petra13

Male Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 3:10 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Petra13, if you are going to copy and paste someone else's work please give the author credit and/or post the link to the source as people might think you are passing off this information as your own.
Ok sure Very Happy Sry about that , kinda "Noob" hrere you are the site i took it .
http://www.thedogspeaks.com/index.html
It was in a book .
Long, Lorie (2007-05-01). The Siberian Husky (Terra Nova Series)
Back to top Go down
SiberianKaia
Newborn
Newborn
SiberianKaia

Female Join date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Crate Training-Opinion Needed Please   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 8:17 pm

Hey Everyone,

I am sure I will have to find this out through experience, however:

Kaia is almost 10 weeks old. Since getting her Sep 5, I have been in the process of crate training her.

What I have done is tire her out, and when she gets sleepy and lies down in my apartment, I physically put her in the crate and left the door open. A few times she walked out and other times she would lie down. After successfully getting her to be comfortable enough to lie down in the crate without walking out, I would shut the door of her crate and initially she would scream and throw a tantrum the first few times for a while then finally settle

I just kept repeating this process and about a week ago, I was able to place her in the crate (when tired) and she would settle and go to sleep without a fuss and sleep 2-4 hrs before waking up needing to potty.

I am now at the point with her that when she is tired and lying down in my apartment, I pick her up and place her in front of her crate and 90% of the time she walks in herself lies down and I shut her crate door and she falls asleep no issues. 10% of the time if she is super exhausted she will just plop herself down in front of the crate and fall asleep. I then pick her up put her in she lays down and goes to sleep without any fuss.

My question is: I have yet to really attempt to put her in her crate when she is not tired. For me it simply has worked quite well getting her tired either by playing, a walk, or some mental command training and she will settle down and fall asleep without a fuss. I take classes and a few of my days have me coming and going and I am not sure if I can ideally have the time to get her tired before putting her in her crate. I am a bit worried that she will be upset and not settle down if she is not tired... I was hoping my method of tiring her out and exposing her to being in the crate and being comfortable in there when she is tired would make it easier for her to be there in general. Obviously I will have my answer soon when I need to have her be in the crate when I am gone.

Note: I have left her for anywhere from 10 min 2 hrs at a time once she is settled and I have come back and she is calm and sitting or still asleep. Knock on wood no accidents or crate destruction.

Also, I obviously want Kaia to get so used to the crate she will voluntarily go in on her own and on command. At 10 weeks should I be expecting this or working on it by luring her in with treats? I have tried putting treats in to see if she will stay in the crate when not tired but she simply will go in take the treat and walk out. I didn't bother putting treats in when she was sleepy because I never had any issues with her sleeping in the crate or being calm.

At 10 weeks, should I be working on getting her to go in her crate on command and if so how would I approach this?

Or should I be thankful and grateful she is where she is with being able to sleep in there.... Maybe I need to expect less and be more patient.

My only worry is that if she is in the crate when I need to be gone but is not tired and wants to not be in there will this carry over to her not wanting to be in there when she is sleepy?

Thanks. Opinions and comments generously welcomed

Scott and Kaia
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   crate - Crate Training - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Crate Training

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next